Jailbreak Poll!!!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Jailbreak Poll!!! Make your voice known... What are your plans regarding iPhone jailbreaking and the new 2.0 software/iPhone 3G.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The main reason I would consider jailbreaking is actually not about the phone contracts in many ways. I'd be ok with one carrier. However, it comes down to being able to take your phone abroad and easily use a local carrier for calls and being able to have the freedom to get whatever apps you want.

Apple are charging developers of free and commercial apps $99 to get the developer license. I don't like this at all. Fair enough charge commercial developers for the license as they benefit financially but even then add it into the cut of their sales.

Imagine an open source developer who takes the time building a powerful, useful package - what gratitude does he get, a $99 charge. That's just really lame of Apple to do this.

Even taking a quick look at the packages in the app store, it's no wonder people are charging $10 for the most basic application.

At least unlocked iphones, you can get any app from any site and no chance of just having a message saying the itunes store is unavailable therefore you're screwed until Apple get round to fixing it.

After seeing the new iphone and the app store, I actually think people would be better off buying a 2.5G iphone and jailbreaking it.

3G is still pretty slow, the screen now has extra black on the edges so it just looks smaller, the GPS is fine but it doesn't always pick up a signal. If I had to choose between a one off payment of say £100-150 for the old model unlocked that I could use with any network and mostly the same features vs one where I'm immediately tied to a contract that will ultimately cost £730, I'd pick the old one.

If I bought a brand new 3G model, I wouldn't jailbreak it because if something goes bad, you won't get support for it and you are locked into the new contract.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm sticking with the old phone for now. At least until the next update when battery life is hopefully improved. I get all the cool stuff I need with the 2.0 update anyway. Then I'll Jailbreak it when they're finished putting that together because I can get some new themes and sounds for the phone. I really like those. I'm not interested in other carriers though. I've been with AT&T for a few years now and they're perfect for where I live. I've never had a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    C'mon readers! lets get some votes here!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Imagine an open source developer who takes the time building a powerful, useful package - what gratitude does he get, a $99 charge. That's just really lame of Apple to do this.

Charging $99 for the ability to compile your apps on their platform is indeed a bit of a slap to the face, but that's not a dealbreaker for me. What gets my goat is Apple's insistence of controlling what software gets on the platform and what doesn't, as well as not allowing the dev to use whatever distribution channels and terms they want.

The poll needs another option: "won't buy an iPhone because I'd need to jailbreak it/because others would need to jailbreak theirs to run my software".