Concerns raised about lack of Mac-to-MobileMe push sync

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    And it appears if you are talking a sync between Macs, it could be a 30 minute delay depending on the timing of the automatic syncs between two Macs. After reading the article I was hoping that once the update from the first Mac was sync'd to the "cloud" (which could take up to 15 minutes) that MobileMe would then immediately push the update to the 2nd Mac.

Nope! \
  • Reply 42 of 80
    This afternoon I made an addition to my address book on my laptop.

I synced to MM, and nothing.

Eventually this evening MM contacts refected the new addition.

My Desktop has yet to find it after multiple syncs and my iPhone still has no clue. Push is properly set on the iPhone and both mac are set for Auto Sync in preferences and updated with MM update 1.1.

There should not be this many variances in people's experiences given the requirements of MM, i.e 2.0 iPhone Firmware and 10.5.4 OS X.

Not sayin, just sayin.

~W
  • Reply 43 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Anyone else have any delay with syncing apps to the iPhone? I DLed all the free apps, which is about 300MB, but it took about 4 hours to complete the process. My iTunes Media library is syncing at the normal speed.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Okay this is getting painful.

Having planned to add a new Email alias to my .Mac / MobileMe account for my business, I had business cards printed with the planned address.

Can anyone tell me when it was announced that alias accounts were going away?

I have one alias name functional but can receive only but not send on it.

Setting one up for my now useless business cards, NADA.

The tarnish is beginning to become too obvious.

Arrghh!

~W
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Wow it works so good ... apple is the greatest . ... i can share pictures and speak with my grandmother on the other side of the world, isn't technology wonderful .....

OK - so for the rest of us .. Apple is so **not** an ISP, they do not know how to run Web Services, and never will .... they make great hardware and software, but they cannot manage web services. Leave it to the big boys... partner with whoever you need, but do not embarrass yourselves by trying to do it by yourselves... pride before a fall .. acknowledge the fact that you cannot do it all yourselves, and partner with someone who can deliver ... after all, it is the customers who will suffer if you do not.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalalalala View Post

Wow it works so good ... apple is the greatest . ... i can share pictures and speak with my grandmother on the other side of the world, isn't technology wonderful .....

OK - so for the rest of us .. Apple is so **not** an ISP, they do not know how to run Web Services, and never will .... they make great hardware and software, but they cannot manage web services. Leave it to the big boys... partner with whoever you need, but do not embarrass yourselves by trying to do it by yourselves... pride before a fall .. acknowledge the fact that you cannot do it all yourselves, and partner with someone who can deliver ... after all, it is the customers who will suffer if you do not.

They've done well with iTunes Store, though the cluttered interface reminds me more of a Yahoo design team than an Apple one. Whatever their issue, they really need to get MobileMe squared away fast. .Mac wasn't great but it wasn't also be relied on in the same way as MobileMe. I really expect Push to work without issues. Especially after RiM was jokingly mocked for having outages in their single-point-of-failure network int eh March SDK keynote.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wookie99 View Post

Having planned to add a new Email alias to my .Mac / MobileMe account for my business, I had business cards printed with the planned address.

Arrghh!

~W

Wait. Are yo saying, you are using a non-SLA'd service as part of your business? Not a good idea at all. If MobileMe goes down and your biz suffers, this is mostly your fault. I would never trust a web based service for critical biz, but hey, that's just me.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They've done well with iTunes Store, though the cluttered interface reminds me more of a Yahoo design team than an Apple one. Whatever their issue, they really need to get MobileMe squared away fast. .Mac wasn't great but it wasn't also be relied on in the same way as MobileMe. I really expect Push to work without issues. Especially after RiM was jokingly mocked for having outages in their single-point-of-failure network int eh March SDK keynote.

Spot on. You can't point fingers if your stuff is not working.

Side note: Have you noticed your iPhone seems to run a bit slower? Several friends realize that when you click an app it does not just JUMP in to action but sort of builds until it gets there.

Sider note: that thing we spoke about with the wifi will not work. The ad-hoc feature is gone.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Spot on. You can't point fingers if your stuff is not working.

Side note: Have you noticed your iPhone seems to run a bit slower? Several friends realize that when you click an app it does not just JUMP in to action but sort of builds until it gets there.

Sider note: that thing we spoke about with the wifi will not work. The ad-hoc feature is gone.

Oh yeah, the interface is slower and seems more choppy doing transitions. My apps took 4 hours to install my Mac to the iPhone, it was 300MB. Maybe they are compressed and this is a first time setup issue, but it seem exceptionally slow. My Safari was crashing frequently with the default OS build, too. I just finished the 5A347 install, so hopefully things get better.

I thought that might happen, perhaps a future jailbreak or Install.app app can re-add that functionality.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wookie99 View Post

Arrghh!

~W

From the MobileMe help pages:

To create an email alias:

In MobileMe Mail on the web, choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu at the top of the window.

Click Aliases at the top of the pane, and then click the Create Alias button.

If you already have an alias, click ?Add alias.? You can maintain up to five aliases at a time.

Enter an email alias and a name, which will appear in the ?From? field of the recipient?s email, in the text fields provided.

Choose a color for messages received by the alias.

Email sent to an alias appears in your MobileMe Mail inbox on the web in the color you choose.

Click Create.

By default, an alias is active when it is created. To deactivate an alias, deselect the Active checkbox next to it. When an alias is turned off, all email messages addressed to that alias are returned to the sender.

Click Save.

When you?re ready to send an email, you can use the Account pop-up menu in the message header to choose the alias you want it sent from. For more information about using aliases, see Related Topics below.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Nice find, Dan N 74, and welcome to AI.

FYI: MobileMe web access has been working flawlessly for me all day. It's responsive and the coding is well done. The syncing is still wonky. It synced only a 1/3of my contacts, even after repeated attempts. I had this same issue with .Mac up until about a month before the conversion to MM.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Not-instant sync from mac to the mobileme server IS a big deal.

1. "Exchange for the rest of us" is designed to compete with Blackberry, etc.

2. The whole advantage of the BlackBerry concept is that a secretary, for example, can make a change to calendar or contact in Outlook, and the executive or salesperson, for example, will have the change immediately on his or her BlackBerry so as to not double-book an appointment or be without contact information for an important call.

3. There will therefore be many real-world situations where a 15 minute delay will simply not meet the needs of many people.

4. Apple should fix this before there is a widespread public sentiment that Apple has failed in its attempt to best BlackBerry at its own game.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I may need to watch the keynote after all, for clarification. LOL.

Wasn't part of the spiel in the demo the idea that your secretary or someone changes your calendar while you're out and about and the change gets pushed to your phone right away? How does your scenario deal with that situation?

To the person above who said the instant stuff was Exchange side; are you sure? Exchange has NOTHING to do with MobileMe. Exchange is Exchange and is corporate. MobileMe was called by Steve Jobs "Exchange for the rest of us."

Exactly, that meeting was about Exchange. What they demoed was using an Exchange server to bounce those details to the phone. Right now, Macs mail and calendar apps do not support Exchange. That will be released in Snow Leopard (10.6).
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrissawyer View Post

Not-instant sync from mac to the mobileme server IS a big deal.

1. "Exchange for the rest of us" is designed to compete with Blackberry, etc.

2. The whole advantage of the BlackBerry concept is that a secretary, for example, can make a change to calendar or contact in Outlook, and the executive or salesperson, for example, will have the change immediately on his or her BlackBerry so as to not double-book an appointment or be without contact information for an important call.

3. There will therefore be many real-world situations where a 15 minute delay will simply not meet the needs of many people.

4. Apple should fix this before there is a widespread public sentiment that Apple has failed in its attempt to best BlackBerry at its own game.

People who are using MobileMe are not meant to have a secretary changing their calendar. There's no collaborative features. Exchange is Exchange, and that works as promised. MobileMe is for consumers; "Exchange for the rest of us" is just marketing.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    I don't know if they cleaned up all the website text, but the descriptions of MobileMe all specifically state that timed syncing is done on the pc/mac side. I don't remember reading that before. If it's really important, or I want to see that change instantaneously, it's pretty quick for me to hit sync on my mac. But still, this service will be as should be when they get the computers pushing up the information quicker.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Take a look at Apple's MobileMe setup pages. It clearly states in there that the quickest sync period is 15 minutes. Same for Windows Vista. From what I'd seen and read, I thought it was instantaneous. Oh, well.

Quote:

Set Up Push

If you already set up your iPhone or iPod touch with a Mac, push is set up on that Mac. To set up another Mac, follow these instructions.

1. Open System Preferences, choose MobileMe, and sign in. If you see the .Mac logo instead, select .Mac and sign in. Follow onscreen instructions if they appear.

2. Click the Sync tab. Click the ?Synchronize with MobileMe? checkbox and select a sync interval. For the most frequent updates, choose "Automatically," which syncs with MobileMe every 15 minutes.

3. Click the checkboxes to sync your contacts, calendars, and bookmarks with MobileMe.

4. Click the Sync Now button.

5. To make sure your data has synced, go to www.me.com, log in, and check Contacts and Calendar.

• Reply 57 of 80
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastred View Post

What an unfortunately ADD world we live in, when 15 minutes is "too slow"

Yeah, look from Mac upwards to the cloud 15 minutes is fine. There is a huge amount of data to be sent back from a Mac as opposed to iPod Touch and iPhone, particularly with separate Macs.

At first I was pissed off that it wasn't instant. Then I realised that, Mobile Me, now that the kinks are ironed out is fine by me.

Hell, my .Mac for 2 years is free because I used to work at an Apple Premium Reseller. I paid for it for a few years, the full $99 when it was one tenth as good as it is now.

So I say to everyone, stop being so worried about 15 minutes and instead use that energy to learn how to make the most of iLife'08, iWork'08 and Mobile Me. Spend those 15 minutes each day learning and exploring, and it will give you years and thousands of dollars worth of value.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Hahaha, you take the cake for the Apple Apologist Award this year! 1-2 months to work out bugs that were advertised as features?

Never mind the fact that all of us that had .mac were forced into this, we didn't just sign up.

My auto-renewal was set for June 28th and I quickly remembered the day before to shut it off. Thank god I did and will not waste money with this BS! I will renew in a month after they "iron" this out. SHame on you Apple for once again releasing something not ready for prime time. I've learned once too many times now to wait , wait, wait.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    MobileMe

MobileMe, the Internet service from Apple, automatically pushes new email, contacts, and calendar events to your Mac or PC and over the air to your iPhone and iPod touch. So no matter where you are, your devices are always up to date. You also get easy photo sharing, 20GB of online storage, and more.

This is what the MobileMe says when you click the product in the Apple Store which was off for some time until now - not sure if they changed it back
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Agree - so what if the "secretary" takes 20 minutes to type the message or she goes to the toilet first etc - 15 min are ok for the consumer