OS X For PC...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
None of you will take me seriously. So this is just so I can say I told you so when the time comes (or so you can laugh at me).

OS X will be announced for x86 systems at MW. This is via an independent contractor who tests mass-distributed software. Take it or leave it, I don't care. We'll see in 3 days who's full of sh*t (Could be me!).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by SkullMac:

<strong>None of you will take me seriously. So this is just so I can say I told you so when the time comes (or so you can laugh at me).

OS X will be announced for x86 systems at MW. This is via an independent contractor who tests mass-distributed software. Take it or leave it, I don't care. We'll see in 3 days who's full of sh*t (Could be me!).</strong><hr></blockquote>

If this happens, im selling my Apple stock and buying the fastest &lt;&lt;EDIT&gt;&gt; PPC &lt;&lt;/EDIT&gt;&gt; mac I can get my hands on.

Apple will be dead.

-Paul

Edit:whoops

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 41
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    If this will kill Apple why not buy the fastest PC?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Your wrong and all ur balls are belong to us (yes i want to kill that expression even more than it already has been)

Apple will die if they do that

And the fastest pc is not faster than the fastest mac thats why kidred

Apple might as well say hey while we're at we are letting people make clones to

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: O and A ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

If this happens, im selling my Apple stock and buying the fastest mac I can get my hands on.

Apple will be dead.

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

How right you are... Count me in for buying the $3499 machine, and kissing Apple bye bye.

But I think I would be one of those who would still purchase Apple products because of brand loyalty, and sheer enjoyment of use of Apple products.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    I would totaly agree with this idea if the apps writen for X could run on both X intel and X for mac without porting. That would lead to more apps for X, otherwise I just see less people buying mac hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    one more thing-

If true, I'd pay to see Gates' face

actually, 2 more.

If true, what does X on Intel have to do with macs and MWSF? Seems like they'd announce it to PC users, not Mac users. That's like Gates at a PC convention saying they are making a Mac OS.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    No way will Apple release OS X for x86 at MWSF. Yes, it does exist, and Apple probably has even tested it, and maybe used this independent contractor.

But it is a last resort and will not see the light of day as long as Apple remains profitable.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    This is so NOT gonna happen.

Why kill clones if Apple is gonna run X on x86?

AMD/Apple partnership-maybe.

X on x86 -NEVER.

Microsoft would yank their products, I think.

All those PC VS PPC "bake-offs" in the past would make Steve look like a desperate hypocrite.

Remember OS/2 WARP?

Maybe Apple will drop PPC for a special AMD chipset BASED on x86, but Apple would never let you buy X and throw it on a home-made PC box for $599.00

Can we count the reasons why Apple will never let this happen?

Apple would have to abandon the PPC box altogather. They would be able to make PPC and x86 boxes and still make money. So you would have to buy a new computer and trash your PPC. If you think the move to PPC from 68k was hard...thais is a nightmare for Apple sales, engineers, marketing, design, partners, 3rd party vendors. Everybody is fuked! Its a lose-lose situation!

Pink. Taligent. NT on PPC. I know I know. That was the past...
  • Reply 9 of 41
    "Intel Inside"? - No Way!

X on x86 -NEVER.

All those PC VS PPC "bake-offs" in the past would make Steve look like a desperate hypocrite. He would need to come out on stage with a white flag and say "you win, Intel"

(Can you imagine the Apple TV ads with that lame Intel jingle at the end? ARRGGGGGGG! My ears are bleeding!)

Remember OS/2 WARP?

Maybe Apple will drop PPC for a special AMD chipset BASED on x86, but Apple would never let you buy X and throw it on a home-made PC box for $599.00

Apple would have to abandon the PPC box altogather. They would be able to make PPC and x86 boxes and still make money. So you would have to buy a new computer and trash your PPC. If you think the move to PPC from 68k was hard...this is a nightmare for Apple sales, engineers, marketing, design, partners, 3rd party vendors. Everybody is fuked! It's a lose-lose situation!

"Intel Inside"? - No Way!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    It would be completely possible for Apple to use an AMD or Intel chip with their own motherboard and other parts (including a copyrighted ROM) without making a version that could be installed on any generic PC. Actually, this would be much easier.

So, if it ever happens, it would most likely work only on a specific hardware setup and the OS still wouldn't be licensed to Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>It would be completely possible for Apple to use an AMD or Intel chip with their own motherboard and other parts (including a copyrighted ROM) without making a version that could be installed on any generic PC. Actually, this would be much easier.

So, if it ever happens, it would most likely work only on a specific hardware setup and the OS still wouldn't be licensed to Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even if that happened, I would do the same thing...

-Paul
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I hate my friend James...

SkullMac2 (12:10): bah

SkullMac2 (12:10): gay post as me

SkullMac2 (12:10): fag

Mr.E (12:10): lol

Mr.E (12:10): i just wanted to make you look like an ass if i lose the bet :o

I made a bet with him over the possibility of a x86 OS X port at MWSF. I'm against it, but he has his sources (and my password...). *Changes password and smites James!*
  • Reply 13 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    We'll see in 3 days. I am voting for not gonna happen.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I don't know where people get the idea that Apple would die if its OS ran on the Intel chip. Just because X would run on x86 doesn't mean it would run on a cheap PC built by some teenager [or by Dell for that matter]. Apple could still build its own proprietary motherboard with its special ROM and all. I think Motorola is the one company that would be firing more employees.

--JBytes

I posted my reply before reading Bunge's. Heck, I'm not going to delete mine anyway.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: JBytes ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: JBytes ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 41
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by JBytes:

<strong>I don't know where people get the idea that Apple would die if its OS ran on the Intel chip. Just because X would run on x86 doesn't mean it would run on a cheap PC built by some teenager [or by Dell for that matter]. Apple could still build its own proprietary motherboard with its special ROM and all. I think Motorola is the one company that would be firing more employees.

--JBytes

I posted my reply before reading Bunge's. Heck, I'm not going to delete mine anyway.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: JBytes ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: JBytes ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but it would mean that any AltiVec (or other PPC based) functionality that anycompany (including apple) created would now be worthless. It would be like going from 68k to PPC without an upgrade path for developers. And 68k-PPC was bad enough. Switching chips in the middle of the port to OS X would be a huge mistake and many developers would levae Apple forever.

-Paul

P.S. (makes me think of MonkeyBoy Steve Ballmer yelling again )
  • Reply 17 of 41
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>"Intel Inside"? - No Way!

X on x86 -NEVER.

All those PC VS PPC "bake-offs" in the past would make Steve look like a desperate hypocrite. He would need to come out on stage with a white flag and say "you win, Intel"

(Can you imagine the Apple TV ads with that lame Intel jingle at the end? ARRGGGGGGG! My ears are bleeding!)

Remember OS/2 WARP?

Apple would have to abandon the PPC box altogather. They would be able to make PPC and x86 boxes and still make money. So you would have to buy a new computer and trash your PPC. If you think the move to PPC from 68k was hard...this is a nightmare for Apple sales, engineers, marketing, design, partners, 3rd party vendors. Everybody is fuked! It's a lose-lose situation!

"Intel Inside"? - No Way!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right.

Microsoft would definately yank all their products for the Mac. It would make Jobs look like a fool after trumpeting around Mac Office X as the best office app, then having MS yank it away.

OS/2 Warp even had complete Windows 3.11/DOS compatibility, with a great interface, and was advertised to hell. IBM swore that they would never drop OS/2 (true, they still sell it.). (I actually own a copy of OS/2, unfortunately at the time, it was a real ram hog and installation took me 3 hours and required a lot of user input. Not to mention Windows kept corrupting my installed copies, though I bet intentionally. The fact that IBM never preinstalled it on their own computers or that it would never run on some of their Thinkpads was also a sign.)
  • Reply 18 of 41
    How much does Apple make on the bulk of its machines? Given that iMacs constitute anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of Apple's annual unit sales, I would fathom around $200-$250, based on my knowledge of the industry.

Now, how much money would Apple make from selling OS X/x86 for $299 a copy?

You have 150 million PCs sold each year, worldwide. You have about 5 million Macs sold each year, worldwide.

If Apple hit a measly 10% saturation point in units sold each year, I fail to see how Apple could or would go out of business.

If Apple hit a 10% saturation point on new PC sales, it would equal Apple's current annual sales from all sources.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    cpmcpm Posts: 15member
    [quote]How much does Apple make on the bulk of its machines? Given that iMacs constitute anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of Apple's annual unit sales, I would fathom around $200-$250, based on my knowledge of the industry.

Now, how much money would Apple make from selling OS X/x86 for $299 a copy?

You have 150 million PCs sold each year, worldwide. You have about 5 million Macs sold each year, worldwide.

If Apple hit a measly 10% saturation point in units sold each year, I fail to see how Apple could or would go out of business.

If Apple hit a 10% saturation point on new PC sales, it would equal Apple's current annual sales from all sources.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

-TheRoadWarrior

<hr></blockquote>

This is my thinking exactly.

For every lost sale of a PPC Mac due to the release of OS X for Intel there would have to be another sale of OS X for Intel.

What is the average gross margin per machine for all of Apple's PowerPC hardware?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    I personally would love to see OS X for x86. If Apple did this, there is absolutely no doubt that there would be no Classic compatibility of any kind. We know Steve likes to leave legacy technology behind, and Classic would take RAM on every machine.

If Apple announces this, there will be a lot of bitching and moaning on these boards but let me say that it's a safe bet that Steve Jobs is a better strategy maker than me or anyone else on this board. If he thinks it will work, then it most certainly won't be a disaster and probably would be successful.

There is a a Jery Springer like mentality on these boards sometimes as if OS X and Windows were bitter enemies. In reality, 90% of people don't know anything about Macs and they aren't going to give up Windows just to try it. Apple needs to provide Windows compatibility as a bridge to get people to move over.

We all claim that using MacOS is miles ahead of using Windows. If this is true, then people will WANT to buy the Mac version rather than the Windows version of software. You aren't going to get more users by not allowing them to have Windows with their Mac. If Apple can offer a Windows and OS X PC for $100-$200 more than the same spec'ed Dell, with iMovie, iTunes, Appleworks, and some Mac only features like Airport or Gigawire, they'ed get lots of new users. If these users don't find the MacOS better enough to buy MacOS software, then they wouldn't have been long term Mac users anyway.