Can't wait for 3G iphone buzz to die down so NEW Macbooks will be announced!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Don't get me wrong, I loves me the iphone, and all it does for Apple....BUT...I'm what I'm looking forward to the most are updates to the laptops. Specifically the Macbook and Macbook pros....and to a lesser extent the Air.

You just know they are waiting in the wings. I figure Apple will wait a couple of weeks for the buzz to die down....perhaps in August for the last minute back to school rush?

If Apple waits until Paris Expo in September, they will miss this all important crowd.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Don't get me wrong, I loves me the iphone, and all it does for Apple....BUT...I'm what I'm looking forward to the most are updates to the laptops. Specifically the Macbook and Macbook pros....and to a lesser extent the Air.

You just know they are waiting in the wings. I figure Apple will wait a couple of weeks for the buzz to die down....perhaps in August for the last minute back to school rush?

If Apple waits until Paris Expo in September, they will miss this all important crowd.

Thoughts?

Apple typically does not release new laptops for the back to school rush. Typically (key word here), they use the back to school time to move old inventory and release the new products prior to the holiday shopping season. Moreover, they've already announced their annual free iPod with Mac purchase "Back to School" program which leads me to believe the MacBook revisions won't come till after August.

But of course, I could be talking out of my arse
  • Reply 2 of 8
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    The current student special of buying a mac(laptop) and getting a FREE or $299 off an ipod supports your theory.

The student special ends on September 15th...and the Paris Expo starts on September 17th-20th.

Obviously Apple wants to clear out stock of macbooks and macbook pros along with first generation ipod touches....for possible updates at the Paris Expo.

So I agree....updates to the macbook and macbook pro most likely won't come until September 17th.

Can't wait. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    When will Apple update their Cinema displays?

Other monitors are much more affordable and offer a wealth of options in comparison.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr fish View Post

Other monitors are much more affordable and offer a wealth of options in comparison.

Without question Apple is completely blowing it here. This mistake, IMHO, is as significant as the mistake they made 10 years ago by not including cd burners in the iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

You really need to compare the specs of "other monitors" with the ACDs. Most do not begin to deliver the same quality that the ACDs deliver. While it is time for Apple to upgrade the ACDs, most pro photographers and graphics pros swear by them. Be careful not to compare Apples to oranges. Go price the Eizo line, which is where you go to get better quality than the ACDs.

You made some uninformed remarks concerning the MBs and MBPs yesterday, and now it appears that you're on the same path, which is talking out of your hat. Many here, just want new ACDs because they would be new, while the pros just keep plugging along with the current models. That is not to say that there's no room for improvement, but the current ACDs are still a very high quality monitor.

Is your monitor(s) calibrated. Do you even own a colorimeter? Have you even thought about calibrating your iMac, or what particular hardware/software to use to do it?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Is your monitor(s) calibrated. Do you even own a colorimeter? Have you even thought about calibrating your iMac, or what particular hardware/software to use to do it?

Yes, my iMac is calibrated - my Macbook was calibrated when I was going through the settings (which surprised me (in a good way)).

I am using a Samsung 940BW as my secondary monitor to my iMac.

It is a nice monitor, but the only reason I use that instead of Apple's Cinema display is because it has multiple connections for multiple devices and Apple does not.

Also, the monitor's refresh rate is much better too, hence why I am hoping for Apple to upgrade their Cinema Displays soon.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Yes, my iMac is calibrated - my Macbook was calibrated when I was going through the settings (which surprised me (in a good way)).

I am using a Samsung 940BW as my secondary monitor to my iMac.

It is a nice monitor, but the only reason I use that instead of Apple's Cinema display is because it has multiple connections for multiple devices and Apple does not.

Also, the monitor's refresh rate is much better too, hence why I am hoping for Apple to upgrade their Cinema Displays soon.

Evidently you are unaware that having a lot of devices connected saps performance, even if those devices are not turned on. I find no good reason to leave peripherals connected unless I'm actually using them. I don't need more than 2 USB ports, one for the keyboard/mouse, and one for any peripheral that I might want to run. When it comes to Firewire, there is only ONE Firewire bus, so that ifyou have a Firewire 400 port in use, and a Firewire 800 port in use, the speed of both ports will be reduced to Firewire 400 speeds.

You can't accurately calibrate a monitor using the built in software. You need an external colorimeter connected to the computer, and placed on the front of the display. That combination of hardware/software generates known color values, then compares and adjusts the monitor to accurately display colors. Brand new monitors are not calibrated, and need to be, if you want accurate colors. Calibrating is an ongoing thing, and needs to be done periodically. How often you do it is according to how long your monitor holds the calibration, but doing it monthly is common, while some pros do it far more often. Older CRT monitors, those beyond three years old, usually can't hold their calibration more than a few days, if even that long.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Is there buzz about a large multi-touch tablet anymore or is that potential pretty well squashed?

evidence?

- Apple purchased a chip designer whose current chipset design would be appropriately powerful for a tablet device (about 2-3x as faster as iphone)

- Apple still friendly with Intel who is getting ready to finish their ultra mobile version of the Atom processor and showed off a proof of concept device that looks like an elongated iPhone (even has the black face and aluminum trim).