Apple sells 1 million iPhone 3Gs in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maybesew View Post

Maybe if it launched in 21 countries with populations roughly equivalent to the US your argument would come close to making any sense.

Yes, and if the per-capita incomes were roughly similar!
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Adjust for purchasing power parity.

Ah, I see you beat me to it....
  • Reply 43 of 68
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

All of those countries COMBINED have only a little more than twice the population of the US. If the iPhone proves as popular in all of those countries as it did in the US, then you're looking at a third of a million sold in the US, which is still higher than 270,000, and two thirds sold in the other 20 countries. It's unlikely that it's going to sell as well in, say, Mexico as it did in the US though and I doubt the advertising campaign in Belgium was anything like in the US. I'm guessing half a million were sold in the US.

A quick check using Google of the populations of those 20 countries (some where estimates, others are rounded off) comes to 542,504,000.00 versus the US's 301,140,000.00. So your right in your analysis. So I'll concede sales were good in the US, and UK maybe, anyone hear about Japan? But internationally elsewhere, while a sale is a sale???

But 500,000 in the opening weekend, att is happy...
  • Reply 44 of 68
    You guys are also missing something. The original iPhone could be brought and jailbroken without getting a contract. A reasonable amount of the phones brought in the US on launch or not too long after could well have gone overseas.

This time in the countries where the phone is tided to an operator like the US and UK, all of those phones sold got sold with an 18 month contract. Hence I think that's an impressive number of sales because it doesn't include people wanting to unlock it and put it on another network (Even if you can, you'll still have an AT&T or O2 contract for 18 months so why bother).
  • Reply 45 of 68
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

A quick check using Google of the populations of those 20 countries (some where estimates, others are rounded off) comes to 542,504,000.00 versus the US's 301,140,000.00. So your right in your analysis. So I'll concede sales were good in the US, and UK maybe, anyone hear about Japan? But internationally elsewhere, while a sale is a sale???

But 500,000 in the opening weekend, att is happy...

Japan had queues. I think 500,000 for the US is a good bet because mainland Europe doesn't go in much for queuing for phones.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

You guys are also missing something. The original iPhone could be brought and jailbroken without getting a contract. A reasonable amount of the phones brought in the US on launch or not too long after could well have gone overseas.

This time in the countries where the phone is tided to an operator like the US and UK, all of those phones sold got sold with an 18 month contract. Hence I think that's an impressive number of sales because it doesn't include people wanting to unlock it and put it on another network (Even if you can, you'll still have an AT&T or O2 contract for 18 months so why bother).

That is a god point, and to further accommodate your point AT&T is a 24 month contract. While the service with AT&T was required for the original iPhone, it was based on good faith (epic fail, as the kids say).

By my estimation AT&T probably activated at least 3x as many iPhones this time around, considering that the US probably sold 600k.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

great news ... The number and press it is (iphone 3g) getting good

now apple drop the bomb, announce macbook and mbp tomorrow

yeah new macbook pro pleassssseee
  • Reply 48 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American...

But your country maketh the iPhone 3G that the world wants to shove in its face like a really bad greasy cheesburger?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    So I think that the supply issues were pretty big. I livein Bloomington, IN (USA) -- a town of ~100K; we have 3 AT&T stores and no Apple store -- we got 30 phones/AT&T store, which sold out on Friday. One store got a shipment of 10 phones in on Friday that they sold on Saturday. meaning that we only had 100 phones in the entire community. That is 0.1% of the population. Apple sold 1 mil phones to ~900 mil customers... if we assume that the ratio in Bloomington is consistent worldwide (a major leap, I know), then they sold roughly everything they had to sell.

how many do you think they would have sold if they'd had more phones than buyers everywhere?
  • Reply 50 of 68
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

As many as they can make.

You mean like they're selling now?

Longer term , once they're established in the market and the exclusive deals have expired, I can see them selling their phones unlocked through non-carrier channels.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? Does that count all the pre-sales at AT&T stores in which payment was made but product will be picked up and activated in 5-10 days.

? I wonder how many were sold in the US? I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American, but because I'd like to compare it to last year's initial release.

I'm not sure how we'd find that out. If we could work out the number of stores in each country selling iPhones and assume a fairly even distribution of phones with some sort of fudge factor for compensate for the "the USA is the centre of the universe" bias. Also maybe assume Apple stores have more stock in countries where they sold them.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I'm not sure how we'd find that out. If we could work out the number of stores in each country selling iPhones and assume a fairly even distribution of phones with some sort of fudge factor for compensate for the "the USA is the centre of the universe" bias. Also maybe assume Apple stores have more stock in countries where they sold them.

I obvious can't verify the claims but there have been several posters that have stated that x store in y country has only recieved an average number of z units. Now only if we can get more detailed info and from every country. Yeah, not possible. I guess we'll have to wait to see if AT&T wants to boost about how many iPhones they activated this past weekend.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:

yeah new macbook pro pleassssseee

+1

Even I myself had a lot of fun with the new iPhone 3G, let's see some momentum for the new Montevina update.

Seriously Apple simply does not have the man power to deal with another new product release now. If you go around any Apple store, the only product Apple stores are selling is iPhone 3G yet the lines loop around block after block as people have been waiting in line for Disneyland attraction.

If Apple could have more iPhone 3G supply, it will definitely sell a lot more than reported today. Many ATT stores seemed quiet down after Friday afternoon simply they don't have enough 3G units to continue on with sales (ATT can only take fulfillment order after the first few hours after iPhone 3G were all sold). If Apple could have allocated more 3G units to ATT stores, they could have helped to expedite the process and get the phones to those with fulfillment sooner.

The supply needs to catch up as demand are totally outweighed now. There are more international telecoms carriers planned to offer iPhone 3G in the coming months, we may see even tighter supply among different regions worldwide.

Hopefully in any rate, the iPhone phenomena will not push other product refresh delay too much, as the only thing Apple seemed to be able to handle at current workload capacity is iPhone transaction.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

But your country maketh the iPhone 3G that the world wants to shove in its face like a really bad greasy cheesburger?

The longing anticipation is what makes greasy cheeseburgers so good.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

As many as they can make.

Which is to say, about the exact same number as they sold in reality
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Great result for Apple, think they will make the 10 million target easy, real easy.

Here in the UK you can't get an iPhone anywhere except the Apple Regent Street store, and that's only if you have plenty of time to kill. I still haven't got mine. So there is still massive pent up demand.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to rain on anyone's parade but...

1,000,000 iPhones divided into 21 countries averages out to just 47,619.05 iPhones per country (in a perfect world, I know)... so last year's original iPhone launch of 270,000 iPhones in the first two days overwhelms the response for 3G iPhones.

Although, before I get slammed for looking at it this way, it would have been interesting to see what the actual total number of 3G iPhones sold could have been if A) they didn't have to deal with the early issues of non-activation from iTunes bogging the retail outlets down and B) they had an unlimited supply of all three model iPhones, in all colors, for all countries, and all retail outlets in those countries.

But, congrats to Apple all the same!

The real "WOW" factor would have been if Apple could have sold 270,000 iPhones 3G in three days in all countries. 270,000 x 21 = 5,670,000 iPhones... Wow!

If we device the sales on a per capita basis for each country the US sold many more than last year with having over 1/2 of the the population of the other countries combined.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Anyone else found that MobileMe kills their iPhone VERY quickly? I seem to be luck to get 1/2 a day out of it (although the games I've downloaded may have something to do with it). It seems (from the sound coming out of my car radio) that the iPhone is constantly connected to the MobileMe server when push is activated. I would have thought it would have been better to give each iPhone a specific IP address, which may change, at which point the iPhone can update the MobileMe server. Would negate the need to constantly talk to the MobileMe server though.

Are you referring to the iPhone 3G and MobileMe, or the original iPhone? Playing games will drain your battery too, as you have stated. My original iPhone doesn't have any battery issues before or after MobileMe and push activated. If you have an iPhone 3G, then most likely the 3G feature is killing your battery. 3G talk time is 5 hours, compared to 10 hours with 3G turned off. 3G is not only for data, it handles voice calls too if it is enabled. You might want to disable 3G and see if your assumption is based on MobileMe and the push feature.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Hello iAmNewHere

My name is Carl/Sven/Bruce/Yoshi/etc

On Friday I visited all of the Apple stores and carriers in my city in my country. My observation was that there were no queues for your Apple iPhone. The one queue I saw was a mistake. They thought there was free soup!

As I predicted (just before I joined this board) the Apple iPhone will not sell well in my country. The official figures say that approximately 12 Apple iPhones were sold in this weekend. However bloggers are reporting that 8 of these have already been returned due to the high cost of the data plans and the soup.

Here in my country we do not like to buy the technology that is already 5 years old. We prefer last year's technology.

I do not believe that Apple has sold one million of the Apple iPhones. My blogger friend(s) in your country(s) tell me that many units are remaining on shelves. Many have been returned. Real world estimations put the real world sales at approx 1670 units.

Not bad really (For a toy phone) but to compare .... Nokia N95 sells 12 million in just a week in my country. HTC Touch Diamond Geezer Pro sells also very well.

Ciao.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Please, don't respond to the above poster. That just encourages more fake accounts to be created.