Canadian iPhone thread

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, now that launch weekend is out of the way, how were the various experiences of the Canadians around here? Did you run out and buy one? Did you go with Rogers or Fido (small difference, but there are differences)?Are you waiting and if so, why? What plans did you opt for? Was anyone actually suckered into the canned iPhone packages (please, please tell me no one fell for these. I know some on these boards were trying to convince people there was value to them, but really, who fell for that?) Did you feel jerked around by Rogers/Fido policies? Pleasantly surprised at the buying experience?

I did not get one. Not because I wasn't interested, but because Fido will not let me. Rather, they will let me, but I have to pay the $200+tax cancellation fee and re-sign. Also, they do not yet have an official policy in place on how to handle existing customers who are not in their upgrade window. They have now said that the policy will be announced on July 24. (Come on Rogers/Fido-you knew iPhone was coming and had lots of time to prepare. You couldn't have a policy in place for your best, long term customers before launch?) Also, existing customers that have monthly credits on their account will lose them if they buy an iPhone. I have a recurring $10 credit, that makes some 200 additional daytime minutes free for me (so 300 total). This credit will disappear if I buy an iPhone. I called and had them switch my plan to one that gives me 250 of those free minutes built into the plan. It is $5 more than my base plan was but I get to keep my $10 credit for now, so it is $5 less. When/if I get an iPhone and I lose the $10 credit, it will be $5 cheaper still than what my existing plan would have been. They also threw in unlimited incoming calls and 100 long distance minutes, so I guess I am further ahead, especially when I get the iPhone.

A friend of mine did end up getting the iPhone on Friday. He happened to be passing a Rogers store in the evening and went in to ask about the iPhones. The store someone had one left, due to some customer not being able to charge it to her credit card. So, he walked out with one, though he had intended to wait until Aug. He was a switcher from Bell, so he was treated as a new customer and did not have to jump through any extra hoops. They tried hard to get him to sign up for the iPhone packages, but not being functionally retarded, he declined and went with a $25 voice package, $30/GB data and $15 VVM. I used it a bit on Saturday. It is really nice. I only used a gen 1 iPhone for a few minutes previously, so I can't compare the two, but this one felt really good. The sound from the speaker could be louder, as I played a movie trailer and could barely hear it without cupping my hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    How much did your friend pay for the iphone at those data / voice combos?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    I'm going to wait but will probably get it before Aug 30 when the "special promotion" runs out (what a farce!) I'm using Virgin Mobile right now on a little Samsung flip phone. The plan I have is SO cheap. I get 200 anytime minutes and my phone bill including all taxes is always in the low-to-mid $20s, and guess what... no contract, no "system access fee", and no additional charge for call display and voice mail. This is the kind of plan that the "big guys" should have.

But I digress a little... Virgin doesn't have the iPhone, and it's so light years ahead of anything else out there that I'm prepared to pay a premium to get one, even though we're being ripped off. The new $30/6GB data plan is a big improvement over the insulting and avaricious plan they originally intended to give us, enough of an improvement that I'll get one and sign up for one of their cheapest voice plans (I don't talk much) along with the 6GB data. Yeah, those "value packages" should really be called "valuable (for Rogers) packages"... very little value at all to the consumer from what I can see.

My thoughts on why they don't have a plan in place already for existing Fido customers? Because the one they planned on using all along was a transparent gouge attempt and the 60,000 signatures+ petition scared them from announcing it, so now they're back peddling like crazy to come up with an alternative that either doesn't screw you so bad, or at least does so without you noticing so much.

Yes this post does has a bit of a rant skew to it, but if ever it was deserved it's now. I'm so not looking forward to having to do business with Rogers again to get an iPhone and oh did I mention the 3-year contract??? God, here I go again!...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

How much did your friend pay for the iphone at those data / voice combos?

I think he said $199, but not 100% on that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I'm going to wait but will probably get it before Aug 30 when the "special promotion" runs out (what a farce!) I'm using Virgin Mobile right now on a little Samsung flip phone. The plan I have is SO cheap. I get 200 anytime minutes and my phone bill including all taxes is always in the low-to-mid $20s, and guess what... no contract, no "system access fee", and no additional charge for call display and voice mail. This is the kind of plan that the "big guys" should have.

But I digress a little... Virgin doesn't have the iPhone, and it's so light years ahead of anything else out there that I'm prepared to pay a premium to get one, even though we're being ripped off. The new $30/6GB data plan is a big improvement over the insulting and avaricious plan they originally intended to give us, enough of an improvement that I'll get one and sign up for one of their cheapest voice plans (I don't talk much) along with the 6GB data. Yeah, those "value packages" should really be called "valuable (for Rogers) packages"... very little value at all to the consumer from what I can see.

My thoughts on why they don't have a plan in place already for existing Fido customers? Because the one they planned on using all along was a transparent gouge attempt and the 60,000 signatures+ petition scared them from announcing it, so now they're back peddling like crazy to come up with an alternative that either doesn't screw you so bad, or at least does so without you noticing so much.

Yes this post does has a bit of a rant skew to it, but if ever it was deserved it's now. I'm so not looking forward to having to do business with Rogers again to get an iPhone and oh did I mention the 3-year contract??? God, here I go again!...

While it is still Rogers, I would look at Fido instead. per second billing and evenings start 2 hours earlier.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

While it is still Rogers, I would look at Fido instead. per second billing and evenings start 2 hours earlier.

Yes, I think I'll do that. Any little bit helps.