iPhone 3G clarifications: battery life, GPS, office apps

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    appleinsider: what about the bluetooth stack that will/would allow the iphone 2G to connect to external bluetooth GPS receivers!!! that way the iphone 2G would have better reception, less battery drain and could also run the tomtom software or do the live GPS tracking if there's no WPS coverage avaiable... why is nobody trying to find out about that???



    The SDK current prohibits developers from using the BT stack in any regard. It seems odd so I wonder if Apple has their own plans for it or if they are having BT issues they need to work out. the iPhone doesn't have A2DP yet so I wonder if it's the latter, but that hypothesis is weak.



    BT also uses a good deal of power so offloading the GPS to an external device is somewhat self-defeated. Not to mention this would require an additional cost when you already have one. I think using the 30-pin connector with a form fitting battery pack would be the best option.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The SDK current prohibits developers from using the BT stack in any regard. It seems odd so I wonder if Apple has their own plans for it or if they are having BT issues they need to work out. the iPhone doesn't have A2DP yet so I wonder if it's the latter, but that hypothesis is weak.



    BT also uses a good deal of power so offloading the GPS to an external device is somewhat self-defeated. Not to mention this would require an additional cost when you already have one. I think using the 30-pin connector with a form fitting battery pack would be the best option.



    what most people forget is that in a car the best spot for good gps reception is far from where would put his phone in order to be able to view the screen, especially if the windshield has special coating blocking the GPS signal completely!



    i think external. GPS should @ least be an option for iphone owners, new or old!!!
  • Reply 23 of 145
    boogabooga Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Apple please release iWork iPhone Application. And please don't charge us for it since we already bought the desktop version!!



    Yes, please do lots of extra work for us and give it to us for free because we bought something from you once so now deserve all updates free until things are perfect.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I charged my iphone last night, unplugged it at 7 AM, it was dead by lunch, usint the out of the box network options...yea, that beats all other smart phones...I feel ripped off
  • Reply 25 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post


    I charged my iphone last night, unplugged it at 7 AM, it was dead by lunch, usint the out of the box network options...yea, that beats all other smart phones...I feel ripped off



    turn off 3G, only turn on if yuor really need it!



    EDGE is fast enough for every day stuff... once your in the place where you have the time and need for fast access you turn it back on... that way your battery will make it thur the day;_)



    i know why i'm not selling my iphone 2G ;-) and i have wifi mostly everywhere i need it...
  • Reply 26 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The SDK current prohibits developers from using the BT stack in any regard. It seems odd so I wonder if Apple has their own plans for it or if they are having BT issues they need to work out. the iPhone doesn't have A2DP yet so I wonder if it's the latter, but that hypothesis is weak.



    BT also uses a good deal of power so offloading the GPS to an external device is somewhat self-defeated. Not to mention this would require an additional cost when you already have one. I think using the 30-pin connector with a form fitting battery pack would be the best option.



    if there's no stack for using the external BT hardware, what is there to prohibit!!! you don't make sense...



    and apple itself could allow to use ext. bluetooth GPS with google maps for the iphone 3G/2G, saving battery life and having better reception... after all an external antenna is always easily placed at the best spot in the car... i have a glass sunroof and i place my BT gps below, i always have a super strong signal, just like the OEM antennas on the back of the car roof... inside a car the GPS signal will always be much weaker due to the steel frame which blocks up to 80% of the signal... average 50%, cell phones suffer the same loss and have to crank up the RF power to max... that's why an external antenna is always better for a good and stable signal while on the road, especially in urban canyons or in remote areas with spotty cell coverage... people that rely on their cell phone connection for their work will always have an external antenna since they know that not having/using it will put them in a bad position with their clients/boss...
  • Reply 27 of 145
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    what most people forget is that in a car the best spot for good gps reception is far from where would put his phone in order to be able to view the screen, especially if the windshield has special coating blocking the GPS signal completely!



    i think external. GPS should @ least be an option for iphone owners, new or old!!!



    Which cars have the coating that block GPS??????
  • Reply 28 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    turn off 3G, only turn on if yuor really need it!



    To add to that, if you aren't going to be using WiFi, then turn that off, too. It's by far the less power draining radio in your iPhone but if you don't need it there is no need to have it on.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    if there's no stack for using the external BT hardware, what is there to prohibit!!! you don't make sense....



    Huh? The iPhone has BT, but Apple's SDK clearly prohibits developers from using it.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    Which cars have the coating that block GPS??????



    i think many fords have the windshield with the coating. you can easily notice the bluish glare from he outside...



    i think one quick view into your cars manual should clear that up... normally the manufacturers include that in the manual!
  • Reply 30 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Huh? The iPhone has BT, but Apple's SDK clearly prohibits developers from using it.



    i didn't mention BT stack for handsfree/earpiece... since we all know that that stack is included, right???
  • Reply 31 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    To add to that, if you aren't going to be using WiFi, then turn that off, too. It's by far the less power draining radio in your iPhone but if you don't need it there is no need to have it on.



    sorry for not mentioning wifi... of course wifi drains your battery just as much... but if you live in an area with no 3G coverage you can forget about the 3G part, if your on GSM/EDGE, then the 3G drain doesn't apply. at least that my understanding, right??? correct me if i'm mistaken!
  • Reply 32 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    When full NATIVE-FILE Keynote and PowerPoint support for the ultimate wired and wireless handheld presentation?



    Yah, until your phone rings in the middle of the presentation!
  • Reply 33 of 145
    jechejeche Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Yeah, so? Did you buy the spot?



    No, idiot, I have ethics.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    ktappektappe Posts: 808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post


    I must be rather slow on the uptake here, but I was really surprised that there doesn't appear to be any way to view Numbers/Excel or Pages/Word docs, or even PDF docs on the iPhone 3G.



    I viewed one just today. A friend e-mailed me a .doc file and I was able to click on it and read the contents, right on the iPhone. Being new to the iPhone in just the past 36 hours, I must say I was rather impressed. So the feature certainly is in there.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert Jacobs View Post


    Yah, until your phone rings in the middle of the presentation!



    intelligent people turn the phone part of the iphone off in a presentation, LOL...
  • Reply 36 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    i didn't mention BT stack for handsfree/earpiece... since we all know that that stack is included, right???



    I am not sure what you are saying here. All I said is that no iPhone developer can currently utilize the BT in any way. shape or form under the current SDK rules.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeChe View Post


    No, idiot, I have ethics.



    Do your ethics compensate for lack of manners? In what previous post did you state that your ethics prevent you from buying the spot or are we to assume that everyone is too ethical to do such a thing as we clearly know nothing of you outside of the 3 posts you mead on this forum prior to his simple inquiry?
  • Reply 37 of 145
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I wish the 3G On/Off switch was located with the Airport Mode On/Off switch. I have switched between EDGE and HSDPA many times and having to enter Settings » General » Network is two too many steps for this receptive action.



    Agreed.



    Quote:

    I'd actually prefer to have 3G settings that allow to choose which apps or types of apps I can have use 3G and which I prefer use GSM. FOr instance, when I'm using Safari or iTunes Store app I would like it to initialize the 3G, but if they are closed to turn it off automatically.



    That doesn't bother me as much. What positively amazed me about the iPhone software was the inability to cut and paste -- after a year, Apple's software people can't figure that out? I can't even copy a URL to send in an email to a friend. Amazing.



    (Someone kindly correct me if I'm mistaken somehow. This is my first sustained taste of iPhone.)



    Anyway, just got back from the 'Burgh, and got my first taste of 3G service with iPhone 3G. I live in an area where AT&T hasn't built out 3G; the lawyer types at the local diner tell me it will be in place by this time NEXT year. Sigh.



    I can confirm the reports on 3G battery life coming from Apple appear to be accurate. Five hours or so appear to be what to expect in iPhone 3G battery life while in 3G-land. For my part, my iPhone 3G will go on the car charger as soon as I hit the road. I might even bring the USB cable into work, and plug it into a handy computer to keep the battery topped off. We'll see.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon View Post


    I can't even copy a URL to send in an email to a friend. Amazing



    Just click on the '+' in the bottom center of the Safari window.









    Quote:

    I can confirm the reports on 3G battery life coming from Apple appear to be accurate. Five hours or so appear to be what to expect in iPhone 3G battery life while in 3G-land.



    Apple has become very accurate with their battery testing by using real world setting.



    Quote:

    For my part, my iPhone 3G will go on the car charger as soon as I hit the road. I might even bring the USB cable into work, and plug it into a handy computer to keep the battery topped off. We'll see.



    Beware of 3rd-party car chargers. The 3G iPhone no longer works with many power adapters. It also no longer charges via FireWire, which I've been using for extra power cord for years. I don't know why they changed this but the fact that the large brick power adapter has been replaced by a very small and light A/C adapter. Did they move the AC/DC conversion into the device itself?
  • Reply 39 of 145
    nuttsnutts Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post


    I must be rather slow on the uptake here, but I was really surprised that there doesn't appear to be any way to view Numbers/Excel or Pages/Word docs, or even PDF docs on the iPhone 3G.



    If I am wrong on this, would someone please point me in the right direction?



    Check out FileMagnet. It has a desktop and iPhone part, using wifi to transfer files.

    You can then read them on the iPhone.

    It supports PDF and they are working on word/excel.



    (I wrote a longer reply before but iPhone safari crashed on me.)
  • Reply 40 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutts View Post


    Check out FileMagnet. It has a desktop and iPhone part, using wifi to transfer files.

    You can then read them on the iPhone.

    It supports PDF and they are working on word/excel.



    (I wrote a longer reply before but iPhone safari crashed on me.)



    OS X iPhone v2.0 can read iWork (Pages, Numbers & Keynote) documents as well as MS Office (Word, Excel & Powerpoint), according to Jobs at the WWDC. At least Word was readable on the first iPhone software, but iWork support was strangely missing, considering they make it.



    PS: Safari is crashing a lot for me on v2.0.
Sign In or Register to comment.