Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 141 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    In a few more days, we will see Montevina notebook specification all over the web. Here is one of the early leak for 13" Montevina Sony Z series:

* Intel P9500 2.53GHz/6MB 1066FSB

* 13.1" WXGA++ (1600 x 900) LCD with LED

* 4GB DDR2-800

* 320GB

* Multi-format Dual Layer DVD+/-RW

* Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS 256MB

* Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n

* HDMI, VGA

This specification led to interesting speculation for Montevina MB and MBA specification outlook. Note: This Montevina model used DDR2-800 instead of expected DDR3-1066 (probably due to the current cost of DDR3 SODIMM modules). It also equipped with discrete graphic chip solution, and the first 16:9 ratio 13" LCD panel with HDMI output.

More specification can be found here.
  • Reply 142 of 189
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

I'm not sure I agree with your analysis. Apple is trying to shift stocks of MacBooks and MacBook Pros at the moment. We've got college promotional deals and refurb deals. It's subtle but clear.

Really? Well, they ALWAYS have educational promotional deals this time of year, and they ALWAYS have refurb deals, year 'round.
  • Reply 143 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

In a few more days, we will see Montevina notebook specification all over the web. Here is one of the early leak for 13" Montevina Sony Z series:

* Intel P9500 2.53GHz/6MB 1066FSB

* 13.1" WXGA++ (1600 x 900) LCD with LED

* 4GB DDR2-800

* 320GB

* Multi-format Dual Layer DVD+/-RW

* Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS 256MB

* Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n

* HDMI, VGA

Apple is very conservative with screen resolution, so I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Reply 144 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Apple is very conservative with screen resolution, so I wouldn't bet on it.

True. According to Montevina Sony Z series specification, it's also available at lower resolution (1366 x 768) for 13.1" model. If Apple ever decide to move into 16:9 screen, the LCD parts will be available. From the preliminary specification of new Sony Montevina platform, it claimed 6 hours with standard battery, 9 hours with large capacity battery. Hopefully, the newly release MB and MBP battery life will perform equally well or better.
  • Reply 145 of 189
    Lenovo has updated T series with T400/T500 model number. The T500 (15.4" model) will give us an idea what to expect from 15" Montevina MBP.

* Up to Intel® Core?2 Duo processor T9600 (2.8GHz, 6MB L2, 1066MHz FSB, 35 watt)

* Up to 200GB / 7200 rpm (optional SSD)

* Up to 8GB 1066MHz DDR3

* DVD-Rom, CD-RW/DVD-Rom, DVD Burner, Blu-ray

* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 w/256MB (Switchable Graphics)

* Gigabit Ethernet

* Integrated WWAN (with GPS)

* Ultra Wide Band (UWB) (available later in 2008)

* Bluetooth 2.1

* WiMAX (available later in 2008)

* Starting at 6.4 hrs

* Ports: 3\tUSB,\tiEEE 1394a, VGA, microphone/line-in

* Headphone/line-out, DisplayPort and optional DVi-D

* WSXGA+ resolution (1680x1050, 129dpi, 200+ nit)

Official T Series Specification PDF

T series normally geared toward business class mobile platform yet the new T model equipped with Blu-Ray and DisplayPort! Let's see if Apple would be less conservative for Montevina MB/MBP this time around.
  • Reply 146 of 189
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Lenovo has updated T series with T400/T500 model number. The T500 (15.4" model) will give us an idea what to expect from 15" Montevina MBP.

* Up to Intel® Core?2 Duo processor T9600 (2.8GHz, 6MB L2, 1066MHz FSB, 35 watt)

* Up to 8GB 1066MHz DDR3

* Gigabit Ethernet

* Bluetooth 2.1

* Starting at 6.4 hrs

T series normally geared toward business class mobile platform yet the new T model equipped with Blu-Ray and DisplayPort! Let's see if Apple would be less conservative for Montevina MB/MBP this time around.

I think Apple will probably do something similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to keep to only 25W parts though. It would allow them to slim the notebook down a little and keep things from getting hot while slightly improving battery life. I doubt they'll include WiMAX or UWB, since no one uses it. Blu-ray and display port would be very nice, but I'm not sure they'd do it. Maybe HDMI. I doubt blu-ray since none of their other computers feature it, and theres no blu-ray players out for the mac anyways.
  • Reply 147 of 189
    anewbieanewbie Posts: 3member
    Quote:

* Up to 8GB 1066MHz DDR3

* Gigabit Ethernet

* Bluetooth 2.1

* Starting at 6.4 hrs

WOW Those Thinkpads and Sonys looks quite attractive. If they put the UWB and WiMAX in, I think I will forget MBP and grab one of theirs.

I waited and waited, and still nothing from Apple. It's starting to get frustrating ... \

Sorry guys
  • Reply 148 of 189
    zevotzevot Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aNewbie View Post

I waited and waited, and still nothing from Apple. It's starting to get frustrating ... \

well i think we have to wait even longer now cuz sony wont be shipping their new notebooks until early august

so i think this implies intel doesnt have enough supply yet and actually i have read somewhere that intel wont have large enough batches ready until early august

so i guess the earliest for apple to release the new ones is early august

another 2 weeksss... dammmmmn it ... feed us with rumours at least AI...!~!!
  • Reply 149 of 189
    I want blu ray

And what is the best GPU we might see? 9700M GT? HD3850? In the 17" maybe?

Sick of crap GPUs
  • Reply 150 of 189
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zevot View Post

well i think we have to wait even longer now cuz sony wont be shipping their new notebooks until early august

so i think this implies intel doesnt have enough supply yet and actually i have read somewhere that intel wont have large enough batches ready until early august

so i guess the earliest for apple to release the new ones is early august

another 2 weeksss... dammmmmn it ... feed us with rumours at least AI...!~!!

This seems to be correct. When Intel delayed Montevina, they said they'd have it rolling it in mass quantities by August...Of course, they're talking about Centrino 2...Apple typically doesn't use the entire chipset (they farm out other wi-fi chips, etc).
  • Reply 151 of 189
    Quote:

[snip]

Are technology companies really still referring to monitor resolution in DPI?

(It's pixels per inch, not dots.)

Silly rabbits!!
  • Reply 152 of 189
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    trix are for kids!
  • Reply 153 of 189
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Is it just me, or is anyone else excited about the new MB and MBP packaging? Its sad I know, but Apple do produce an excellent experience with their packaging
  • Reply 154 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

Is it just me, or is anyone else excited about the new MB and MBP packaging? Its sad I know, but Apple do produce an excellent experience with their packaging

Wow we are desperate.

I'll lust over the packaging when Apple finally gets around to announcing them.
  • Reply 155 of 189
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Geez Louise,

All the new specs are making me dizzy. I have a first gen MBR C2D and I love it. But faster always seems better after a year or so of daily use.

All these specs also make me feel damn old! It wasn't all that long ago that I sat in a room full of Apple engineers while we speculated on how long it would be before we could get the bus up to a screaming 100MHz.
  • Reply 156 of 189
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

i'm more excited about the packaging than i am about s*dding montevina.

at this stage any significant and positive change to either the form or function of the MBP would excite me. particularly the reintroduction of the 12" mbp or an air with a practical amount of memory and firewire, but I guess they're both pipedreams.

a montevina speedbump and a slightly modified enclosure are my only guesstimates at this stage.

it's a very long time since apple have churned out a real 'wow' moment. i wish they would again.
  • Reply 157 of 189
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aNewbie View Post

WOW Those Thinkpads and Sonys looks quite attractive. If they put the UWB and WiMAX in, I think I will forget MBP and grab one of theirs.

Sorry guys

Apple does not pre-announce hardware very often. I would wait until the new chips are available in quantity before giving up on Apple.
  • Reply 158 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Apple does not pre-announce hardware very often. I would wait until the new chips are available in quantity before giving up on Apple.

They don't pre-announce as much as they used to. The iPhone is one example where they did. Prior to that it was the Xserve Xeon at WWDC in 2006. They didn't ship until mid-October. Going back further, the MacBook Pro announcement at Macworld in 2006...remember the frenzy on when those were going to ship? It was quite the wait, and then Apple bumped the specs on Valentine's Day before they actually shipped one toward the end of February.
  • Reply 159 of 189
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Wow we are desperate.

I'll lust over the packaging when Apple finally gets around to announcing them.

Lol unless I come into a reasonable sum of money soon I won't be buying one, I sell t-shirts online and packaging and creating a memorable experience through that interests me.

Apple does this fairly well, iPhone packaging, MBA packaging etc.

I've always enjoyed opening Apple product boxes up since getting my first iPod

Thought goes into it, its not like a Dell where it comes in an ugly brown box with hardly any colours on it
  • Reply 160 of 189
    I was just reading on Macrumors, and someone found that on the main store page, it no longer says the MBP is "new," and it did just a day or so ago! That may be a big hint that an update is actually coming!