Briefly: Apple testing first bug fix update to iPhone Software v2.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is already testing the first maintenance and security updates for version 2.0 of its iPhone Software that aim to improve performance and fix a number of outstanding bugs.

The updates, which revealed themselves as iPhone Software 2.0.1 in the Apache server logs at BGR, are currently making the rounds in the form of two distinct builds: build 5B101 for first-generation iPhones and build 5B103 for the new 3G iPhones.

Although Apple began testing the updates prior to the official release of iPhone Software v2.0 on Friday, neither have made their way into the hands of iPhone developers.

Instead, Apache server logs reveal, and AppleInsider can confirm, that requests from phones running the new builds are coming primary from the San Francisco Bay Area (near Apple's Cupertino headquarters) and Atlanta (AT&T's home base).

Since testing has remained internal, it's unclear exactly what areas of the software the updates will target. Some users, however, report that iPhone Software 2.0 effectively crippled the camera applications on both their original iPhone and new iPhone 3G.

After updating, these users report that it takes a full six seconds between the time the camera application launches and when the digital shutter opens to allow a photo to be taken. This has made the iPhone's camera somewhat useless, those users explain, especially for the spontaneous photos for which it has become most popular.

Separately, a number of other users are reporting a variety of problems with the accelerometer on their new iPhone 3Gs. These include jerky responses, unintentional landscape shifts, or no response at all after the handset sleeps.

One user on the Apple Discussion Forums explains that the misbehavior of his accelerometer is also having an adverse affect on his photos.

"[T]he camera app thinks I'm holding the phone upside down, so the photos are stored upside down!," he wrote. "A reset always fixes the problem. If I set "Auto-Lock" to never and don't press the sleep/wake button then the accelerometer works perfectly. Of course this isn't exactly practical."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    ...for being an early adopter!

In the words of Nelson Muntz, "Ha Ha".
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Yup, I've definitely noticed the difference in being able to use the camera, in fact, I'd say it took more than 6 seconds to start up, and that's when it doesn't crash first - sooooo frustrating.

Fix please!

mjw4849
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I hope that means Apple's not about to charge iPod Touch users another fee so soon.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    It's good that Apple react to those software glitches as a number of issues have been reported. I like to see some Maps feature improvement:

* full screen landscape view for GPS

* optional auto-lock temporary disable when using GPS feature
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I don't think that was a good summary of the most common problems user's are complaining about. The most pervasive problems reported have been related to extremely poor and unstable reception in areas where other AT&T 3G devices get 5 bars and sluggishness in text entry for SMS and the contact list.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I hope that means Apple's not about to charge iPod Touch users another fee so soon.

They've never charged any iPod user for access to any bugfix-only firmware releases in the past*. Hopefully they won't start now.

* Does anybody know if there were outstanding bugs in iPod Touch firmware version 1.1.4 which were resolved in 2.0? If so, and if they are not subsequently addressed through a separate 1.1.5 patch, that would definitely leave Apple open to lawsuits on the grounds of the iPod Touch (or the JSU) being unsuitable for the purposes which were originally advertised at the time of sale.

[edit]

Never mind, they just did release 1.1.5.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    stormjstormj Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post

I don't think that was a good summary of the most common problems user's are complaining about. The most pervasive problems reported have been related to extremely poor and unstable reception in areas where other AT&T 3G devices get 5 bars and sluggishness in text entry for SMS and the contact list.

Compared to my 8525 or my V3x I get just about the same 3G bars in each of the three different 3G zones I travel through each day. I also do not have a six second delay on my camera. Overall, though, the UI is much slower, and, agreed--especially in SMSing. I have also noticed the accelerometer problem.

It's hard to compare "bar for bar" when you're not sure what those mean, anyway. I think priority one is UI speed.

Could some of these problems possibly be connected to apps?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    It seems on my 1st generation phone that if I turn off location services in the settings, the camera comes up just as fast as it used to. With location on, there is an additional delay while the phone checks where it is first.

If anybody has a slow camera, I'd recommend turning off "use location" in the settings and try again and see if that's the culprit.

I get reboots when using 3rd party, which is a bug (IMHO). Apps should not be able to take the OS down unless the error is in the core OS somewhere.

Sheldon
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

Compared to my 8525 or my V3x I get just about the same 3G bars in each of the three different 3G zones I travel through each day. I also do not have a six second delay on my camera. Overall, though, the UI is much slower, and, agreed--especially in SMSing. I have also noticed the accelerometer problem.

Using 5A345, which ITunes says is the latest version. Experiencing bug with "Maps". Sometimes when continuing to zoom in closer and closer on a satellite view, the program crashes. Also noticed in viewing email and sliding your finger to get the delete button to appear that the program freezes and the only way to recover is to turn off the iPhone and restart it.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    They need to fix the sluggishness that 5A345 and 5A347. I don't mind the yellow tint. It sometimes takes up to 6 seconds to get a response from the screen when I touch it browsing contacts or phonebook. Camera works fine for me and no system crashes.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    I hope the new update allows users to turn off the location services dialogue that keeps coming up every time I launch maps or my camera. I want it to remember my preference unless I decide to change it sometime later.

Listen up, Apple: having to dismiss these pop-ups every time the app is launched is intrusive, annoying and cumbersome. When I want to take a picture of my 4-month old, I don't want to have to jump through any more hoops than opening the camera app and pressing the shutter. If I'm driving and need to look up something on map and push the "find location" button, then OF COURSE I want maps to use my current location. I just friggin' asked it to do that. Also, it creates an additional unnecessary step that takes my eyes off the road.

The way location services behave in 2.0 is a very un-Apple behavior.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

...for being an early adopter!

In the words of Nelson Muntz, "Ha Ha".

Hey maybe by the time my ordered iPhone comes in the update will be ready

On a serious side anybody familiar with the SDK would have realized that Apple had a long way to go to provide a stable iPhone 2 OS. Frankly this doesn't bother me much at all. The reason is pretty straight forward in that Apple has proven that they have the infrastructure and willingness to keep the iPhone updated. Will everything be corrected in 2.0.1; I seriously doubt it but I expect that by the time 2.0.5 rolls around the machine will be solid.

As long as Apple continues to demonstrate a willingness to keep updating the iPhone they will be head and shoulders above the rest of the cell phone industry. This in and of itself is the best reason to go the iPhone route, that is they are backed up by a company that has a proven track record of making its mobile OS easy to access and update by the average user. The integration with iTunes is actually a very slick idea.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 41
    They really need to add a way to send from aliases on the iPhone's Mail app for a MobileMe account.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

They really need to add a way to send from aliases on the iPhone's Mail app for a MobileMe account.

Click and hold the From field.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Cut & Copy & Paste coming soon ...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    It is impossible to believe that these issues were not discovered during

testing. It is sad to see Apple exhibiting deadline driven behavior in the

way they release products not ready for prime time. They run the risk of

permanently tarnishing their halo.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Cut & Copy & Paste coming soon ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better be. How do you know?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Click and hold the From field.

That just brings up the list of accounts you have setup on the phone. Are you suggesting that he set up the aliases from .Mac/MM on the phone too?

Also, there is a bug when snapping a picture and emailing it out over wifi ("on") with airplane mode enabled. I always get a message saying it failed to send the photo but yet when I open Mail it sends the email right out.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    fleetstfleetst Posts: 8member
    I hope they're also going to fix an apparent bug with videos. When I try to play videos which I have exported from EyeTV I keep getting the message "This movie format not supported." However, these are videos which were already on my iPhone and played perfectly until I upgraded to the 2.0 software.

I'm not alone, there are numerous messages on the official Apple iPhone forums detailing the same problem.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

I hope the new update allows users to turn off the location services dialogue that keeps coming up every time I launch maps or my camera. I want it to remember my preference unless I decide to change it sometime later.

Listen up, Apple: having to dismiss these pop-ups every time the app is launched is intrusive, annoying and cumbersome. When I want to take a picture of my 4-month old, I don't want to have to jump through any more hoops than opening the camera app and pressing the shutter. If I'm driving and need to look up something on map and push the "find location" button, then OF COURSE I want maps to use my current location. I just friggin' asked it to do that. Also, it creates an additional unnecessary step that takes my eyes off the road.

The way location services behave in 2.0 is a very un-Apple behavior.

You listen up

Perhaps you should give us your ID so we could make sure we are not in the same area.

Are you sure you are old enough to drive? You don't seem to be smart enough. Sure hope your 4-month old baby is not in the car while you are frigg'n around with your iPhone.