"Downgrading/Switching" from Penryn MBP to Penryn Black MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I'm new here.

I think I have to give a brief history of my Mac life first. I previously owned the last generation iBook, then a MacBook (entry-level) 3rd gen before I upgraded to Penryn MBP this April.

I bought the MBP because I fell in love with the keyboard when I got to try the display unit in one of the Apple resellers here (I am from Manila, btw) so I sold my MacBook then upgraded to the Penryn MBP (entrylevel - 2.4ghz, 15inch).

Though now, I kind of miss the 'portability' of the MacBook. I am thinking of "downgrading" to a BlackBook (I have to use "" because I don't think it's really a downgrade aside from the fact that I'll be losing the dedicated graphics card of the MBP)

I am eyeing the BlackBook because:

1. It's black, I got tired of having to regularly clean the whitebook (blackbook requires cleaning of course, though not as much as the blackbook)

2. It's sort of like my previous MB. Small (or at least the LCD looks smaller because of the border from the screen to the edges of the laptop itself)

3. I just realized that the BlackBook keyboard is pretty good too, unlike the ones in white macbooks while feels like too rough and kind of 'plasticky'

So now, my question is: is it worth it? i mean if i sell this MBP now, Im pretty sure I wouldn't add much money because this will still have decent resale value, and if I get lucky, I can get myself an external hard drive from the extra money.

I primarily use my portable for post grad school. Nothing extensive graphic application works.

The reason I'm asking about this is because I need to convince my partner that I want to switch (apparently, he thinks I am just being too fickle minded, but what's a girl to do, ayt?) \ Well, basically, I miss the 'cuteness' of the MacBook.

Am I missing something? I need some enlightenment. Help please.

*and oh, please be nice.

Thanks a lot.

xoxo, nemo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    Hello nemo and welcome to the Apple Insider forum!

I just bought the black Macbook and I agree, it just looks so compact and the color matches my brand new bag I bought (TUMI).

Just a side note, the TUMI bag I bought was made for the 13" Macbook, but it is not sold at the Apple retails stores (I found it at a mall).

Anyhow, yes go for it !!

When I was shopping for a backup computer, I originally wanted a Macbook Pro, but when I did the comparison and what consumers were saying, plus the smaller size/weight - just like you I had to have it.

BTW, don't think of the switch as "Downgrading", rather as "Crossgrading" because you are going to inherit a smaller Macbook that uses less power to charge the battery - and that is a savings you can enjoy for years to come.

As you can tell, I am a Macbook fan!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    yeah, specs are nothing if you don't actually need the extra horsepower. If I didn't actually need the power and larger screen of my mbp for video work, I'd totally go for a smaller sexier package like the air or MB. No point in carrying around the extra weight if you don't need to.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

yeah, specs are nothing if you don't actually need the extra horsepower. If I didn't actually need the power and larger screen of my mbp for video work, I'd totally go for a smaller sexier package like the air or MB. No point in carrying around the extra weight if you don't need to.

Hey hey, I agree 100% !!

The 17" Macbook Pro is a dream, but the 13" Macbook fits just right with me (just a few weeks ago, I wouldn't even give the MB a glance, now I bought one!)

I do not believe this to be a marketing strategy of Apple, rather a practical need of the consumer.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    nemonemo Posts: 4member
    thank you for your response everyone.

i have one more concern: i bought this MBP because I know (from what I read in magazines and all over the internet) that the MBP is the best desktop replacement. i don't have a desktop at home.

so why is it that people say that MBP are best desktop replacements? is it because of the aluminum casing?

again, thank you in advanced.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    well, it's supposedly the best "desktop replacement" because of the specs. As you know, there is a gap between the performance of desktop computers and laptops, so a "desktop replacement" is a laptop which has specs and performance levels closer to what desktops are capable of (usually at the cost of mobility). The MBP is basically an imac (with slightly worse graphics card admittedly), so spec wise it's great and it's pretty mobile at the same time, at least compared to all of those awful monster bricks of "pro laptops" from other manufacturers.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    @paprochy: can the black macbook be considered as desktop replacement? tia.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I would say ( and most would), that the MB cannot be considered a desktop replacement, simply because it's specs and performance are that of an average laptop (significantly less than an average desktop) and it's a compact model.

All of this is just semantics though. I mean, it really doesn't matter if you don't have a desktop or not. If the MB performs well enough for your tasks (which it should according to your previous statements), then who cares if it's a desktop replacement or not. I know many people who own only a MB as their main and only computer.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I just recently had my iMac in the shop for almost an entire week.

The reason I bought a (black) Macbook was so that I have a desktop replacement if my iMac were to require an extended service in the future.

So to answer your question, I bought the Macbook as a desktop replacement because the specs are identical with the exception of a dedicated graphics adapter.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr fish View Post

I just recently had my iMac in the shop for almost an entire week.

The reason I bought a (black) Macbook was so that I have a desktop replacement if my iMac were to require an extended service in the future.

So to answer your question, I bought the Macbook as a desktop replacement because the specs are identical with the exception of a dedicated graphics adapter.

Where do you get these hair brained ideas? Just because YOU bought a MB as a replacement for a desktop doesn't make it an equal player. In fact, laptops are not an equal player to a desktop.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Where do you get these hair brained ideas?

Please stop stalking me!

Your insulting tone is not appreciated.

I believe that there is a moderator that can stop you from harassing me.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Please stop stalking me!

Your insulting tone is not appreciated.

I believe that there is a moderator that can stop you from harassing me.

You have been posting bad information lately, I'm not stalking you, I'm correcting you. Get over it, because every time you post bad info someone should correct it.

For anyone else reading this thread, this guy has some issues. Below is an email that I got yesterday. Needless to say, I don't need friends like this.

"Dear zinfella,

mr fish has requested that you become friends. You can approve or deny this request by visiting:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/..........................

All the best,

AppleInsider"
  • Reply 12 of 20
    zinfella is known to troll the forums and reply to posts in a condescending tone.

Just because someone is wrong, doesn't mean you have the right to insult them. Besides, he clearly meant that the blackbook functions perfectly as a desktop replacement for him, not that it's a true desktop replacement. And after all this is what the conversation is about, that the MB is a perfectly able machine that can serve as your main computer.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

zinfella is known to troll the forums and reply to posts in a condescending tone.

Just because someone is wrong, doesn't mean you have the right to insult them. Besides, he clearly meant that the blackbook functions perfectly as a desktop replacement for him, not that it's a true desktop replacement. And after all this is what the conversation is about, that the MB is a perfectly able machine that can serve as your main computer.

Try doing some meaningful image editing on one.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    originally posted by nemo

"I primarily use my portable for post grad school. Nothing extensive graphic application works."

That's the whole point of the discussion. He doesn't need to do "meaningful" image editing on one. That's why a MB will serve him as a main computer well.

Just because it's not the right machine for you zinfella, doesn't mean it's the wrong machine for everyone. Is it that hard to get?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I no longer see his comments (I blocked him).

Thanks for letting me know that zinfella is a known troll.

I suppose the harassment will end now that he is in my blocked list.

Perhaps if everyone blocked him, we shall be free of harassment.

But thanks for the comment, I did buy my black Macbook as a desktop replacement (in fact, I am using it now).
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

I no longer see his comments (I blocked him).

Thanks for letting me know that zinfella is a known troll.

I suppose the harassment will end now that he is in my blocked list.

Perhaps if everyone blocked him, we shall be free of harassment.

But thanks for the comment, I did buy my black Macbook as a desktop replacement (in fact, I am using it now).

Hilarious! Yesterday you wanted to be my friend, and now you have me blocked.

And if I said that you were a communist spy, everyone should believe it?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

originally posted by nemo

"I primarily use my portable for post grad school. Nothing extensive graphic application works."

That's the whole point of the discussion. He doesn't need to do "meaningful" image editing on one. That's why a MB will serve him as a main computer well.

Just because it's not the right machine for you zinfella, doesn't mean it's the wrong machine for everyone. Is it that hard to get?

Dear Mr. Twister of words, I did not say that a Macbook was the wrong machine for anyone. FYI, words have meanings, whether or not you like it, and what I said was that a laptop does not replace a desktop. They have different capabilities. A laptop might serve as an interim machine while a desktop is unavailable, but it will never replace it. If you want to live in la la land with mr fish, and be his interpreter go for it. Watch your email, he'll now want you to be his friend, until you disagree with him.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    lol. you are in la la land my friend. I don't want to shock you, but most people use a laptop as their only computer. Are you inanely stubborn, or are you just that dumb?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

lol. you are in la la land my friend. I don't want to shock you, but most people use a laptop as their only computer. Are you inanely stubborn, or are you just that dumb?

It's difficult to follow a thread when it goes off topic (by the trollboy, zinfella).

Just add him to your ignore list and let's continue this topic.

The Macbook is a very interesting companion to my iMac in that the keyboard has combinations that work differently to compensate for some missing keys.

Using both systems makes so much sense in that I know that both systems are in sync with my files.

While there is a return policy in place, I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it (the magsafe plug is very convenient).
  • Reply 20 of 20
    any other thoughts?