Briefly: Apple testing first bug fix update to iPhone Software v2.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    It was just an example. Unwad your friggin' panties. Quit attacking my example and speak to the problem I mentioned.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It is sad to see Apple exhibiting deadline driven behavior in the

way they release products not ready for prime time. They run the risk of

permanently tarnishing their halo.

Hmmm, the iHalo effect.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fleetst View Post

I hope they're also going to fix an apparent bug with videos. When I try to play videos which I have exported from EyeTV I keep getting the message "This movie format not supported." However, these are videos which were already on my iPhone and played perfectly until I upgraded to the 2.0 software.

I'm not alone, there are numerous messages on the official Apple iPhone forums detailing the same problem.

iPhone video playback has always been flakey compared to my iPod Classic. Some things (such as video from my digital camera) won't even play on the iPhone when they play perfectly on the iPod.

My current problem: I use Beyond TV, which has an H.264 encoder (iPod/iPhone/Apple TV video.) My problem is that the audio and video get out of sync. At the beginning of a program, it's not so bad, but after 30 minutes, the delay is on the order of 2 or 3 seconds.

The odd thing is that this happens even if I stop the video and manually seek to an arbitrary point in the video. Of course, this only started happening after the 2.0 upgrade. (I'm downloading and re-installing the official 2.0 firmware right now, just to see if that's a problem.)
  • Reply 24 of 41
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You listen up

Perhaps you should give us your ID so we could make sure we are not in the same area.

Are you sure you are old enough to drive? You don't seem to be smart enough. Sure hope your 4-month old baby is not in the car while you are frigg'n around with your iPhone.

Apple doesn't read this forum. If you want to complain about something write to Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I can never understand how Software is being written. Does Apple dump original iPhone Software and start over for 2.0? These problems did not exsist in original 1.1.4. I would assume they take old software and add one to it. Don't they?

(Sorry, I wish I was a developer)
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I can never understand how Software is being written. Does Apple dump original iPhone Software and start over for 2.0? These problems did not exsist in original 1.1.4. I would assume they take old software and add one to it. Don't they?

(Sorry, I wish I was a developer)

Let me explain it in technical terms: New software = f(Old Software)

This should address most of your concerns.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    FIX ACTIVE STINK...er SYNC

How in the heck are business people supposed to use this thing when activesync kills the battery in 5 hours?!?!?!?!? turn off active sync? disable push? No Way.

I understnd that Active sync is like that on all devices from Palm and HTC as well, so it may be a MS problem, but it became Apples problem when they sold it as the second coming of Christ to IT guys.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It is impossible to believe that these issues were not discovered during

testing. It is sad to see Apple exhibiting deadline driven behavior in the

way they release products not ready for prime time. They run the risk of

permanently tarnishing their halo.

I demoed my 3g to my boss, he said "it is slow, apps crash, and the thing has no battery life, they should call it Apple Iphone Vista."

sad to say, I kinda agree.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Got to agree that there's a lot that could use fixing/streamlining, but personally, I'd settle for my iPhone working as a phone - something Vodafone NZ hasn't quite managed to get it to do in the last six days ><.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post

I don't think that was a good summary of the most common problems user's are complaining about. The most pervasive problems reported have been related to extremely poor and unstable reception in areas where other AT&T 3G devices get 5 bars and sluggishness in text entry for SMS and the contact list.

I agree ans I'm having the same problem with poor un stable coverage on 3G with my new Iphone and other devices on at&t on 3g have full 5 bar coverage most of the time. There seems to be a poor signal being received on 3G. When I turn off 3G the coverage improves right away.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

It seems on my 1st generation phone that if I turn off location services in the settings, the camera comes up just as fast as it used to. With location on, there is an additional delay while the phone checks where it is first.

If anybody has a slow camera, I'd recommend turning off "use location" in the settings and try again and see if that's the culprit.

I get reboots when using 3rd party, which is a bug (IMHO). Apps should not be able to take the OS down unless the error is in the core OS somewhere.

Sheldon

Thanks for the tip. The camera was a few seconds longer than before, and it prompts to check your location for camera use. I turned off the Location feature in the settings and the camera is ready to use after a few seconds.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davefox73 View Post

Using 5A345, which ITunes says is the latest version. Experiencing bug with "Maps". Sometimes when continuing to zoom in closer and closer on a satellite view, the program crashes. Also noticed in viewing email and sliding your finger to get the delete button to appear that the program freezes and the only way to recover is to turn off the iPhone and restart it.

Use the RESTORE option and iTunes will download 5A347, which is the latest version.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

I hope the new update allows users to turn off the location services dialogue that keeps coming up every time I launch maps or my camera. I want it to remember my preference unless I decide to change it sometime later.

Listen up, Apple: having to dismiss these pop-ups every time the app is launched is intrusive, annoying and cumbersome. When I want to take a picture of my 4-month old, I don't want to have to jump through any more hoops than opening the camera app and pressing the shutter. If I'm driving and need to look up something on map and push the "find location" button, then OF COURSE I want maps to use my current location. I just friggin' asked it to do that. Also, it creates an additional unnecessary step that takes my eyes off the road.

The way location services behave in 2.0 is a very un-Apple behavior.

Why don't you turn off the Location Services in the Settings! Go to Settings, General, and you will see the option to turn off the Location Services. Hopefully you won't be anywhere near me while you are screwing around with the phone instead of PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING! If you need to look something up on the Map, PULL OVER!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I demoed my 3g to my boss, he said "it is slow, apps crash, and the thing has no battery life, they should call it Apple Iphone Vista."

sad to say, I kinda agree.

I am sure your boss is very happy with his Windows-driven Treo that only lasts 3 hours! Tell your boss to remove his head from his ass and wake up to current technology. No other phone can boast 5 hour talk time using a 3G network. My iPhone (Original) is not slow, apps don't crash, and it has great battery life.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Got a second "talkback" dialog box this evening when I synched my phone with iTunes.

Took a look at the crashlogs being sent back -- quite a number of them are starting with "mediaserverd-" followed by a date-time stamp. I'd say half of them concern that module, and the other half concern Safari.

Wonder if Hyatt is still the boss of the Safari team?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    I hope they fix the bug that lists my LIFETIME USAGE as 16 Days, especially since I clearly haven't owned my iPhone 3G for 16 days.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fleetst View Post

I hope they're also going to fix an apparent bug with videos. When I try to play videos which I have exported from EyeTV I keep getting the message "This movie format not supported." However, these are videos which were already on my iPhone and played perfectly until I upgraded to the 2.0 software.

I'm not alone, there are numerous messages on the official Apple iPhone forums detailing the same problem.

havent read every post here... but i export shows from EyeTV, and play them on my ipod touch... they worked beofre 2.0 update and are still working after 2.0 update...

which options for export are you using in EyeTV? maybe its the max rez ones? I just use the slightly lower ones that is labeled as export for iPhone. did one just today and it works fine. Maybe its just a problemon the iphone and not the itouch?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why don't you turn off the Location Services in the Settings! Go to Settings, General, and you will see the option to turn off the Location Services. Hopefully you won't be anywhere near me while you are screwing around with the phone instead of PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING! If you need to look something up on the Map, PULL OVER!

I turns itself back on again. That's why. That's like saying "why don't you just keep it in airplane mode if you don't like the way it asks you if you want to join a nearby wifi network." BECAUSE IT'S WHAT I BOUGHT THE PHONE FOR, GENIUS.

And I'm not doing this WHILE I'm driving, btw. That's what stop lights are for. But again- my point is that it takes up additional time and clicks unnecessarily.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Click and hold the From field.

That doesn't give me a list of aliases, just my accounts set up on the iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Dude, you just HAVE to be an IT guy.