TM backups to two macs using same ext HDD?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all

I searched up and down the web for the answer to this, no luck, so apologies if this has been addressed before. I just got a new iMac and a La Cie quadra 1TB external HDD. I also own a MBP which I have not been backing up.

Questions:

1) If I partition the HDD, can I backup both macs to the different partitions using Time Machine?

2) If so, I would like to keep the iMac hooked up using the eSATA connection while intermittently plugging in the MBP via FW800. Can I do this or do I need to unplug the iMac when I want the MBP to access the drive.

I've never needed to hookup an external HDD before so these questions may be basic.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    toymakertoymaker Posts: 30member
    1) You should be able to back up the two machines to the seperate partitions without a problem, since the drives are treated as seperate storage devices once partitioned.

2) I've yet to see an external HDD that can be mounted on two machines at once, partitioned or not. Unless the Quadra you bought has some special funtion to allow this, I don't think it's possible. You'll likely need to disconnect the drive from one machine before you can connect it to another.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks, for the info Toymaker. WHen you partition I suppose each partition gets a different name, and you just direct TM to backup to the appropriate one.

As for 2) I kinda figured that wouldn't be possible.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    toymakertoymaker Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

Thanks, for the info Toymaker. WHen you partition I suppose each partition gets a different name, and you just direct TM to backup to the appropriate one.

As for 2) I kinda figured that wouldn't be possible.

Spot on with directing each TM to a differently named partition.

I'd be interested to see if you can back up both machines to the same partition. In theory it could work as long as there aren't any identically named folders at the top level (Below Backups.backupdb of course). Does anyone out there know whether this can be done?