iPhone 3g Battery Life UGH

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey all,

Anyone else really struggling with battery life on the new phone? I cant even get a full day out of a charge now. My old one I could get about 2 days of use!

I know youre going to say turn off 3g then, but isnt that the whole point of owning this phone is the use of 3g??

ANyone know of a program that can be put on the main page to easily click 3g on and off? I hate going through all the setting to get to that...

Im in real estate so I use my cell phone a LOT (Im on the unlimited minutes plan) and really feel the battery claims are unsubstantiated as this phones battery life seems to be miserable under normal use. I'm not even playing games or using any apps!

Anyone else?

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Its a 3.5 inch screen what were you expecting once they put in 3G?

My friend if you use your phone a lot for calls then im afraid you went for the wrong phone.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

Hey all,

Anyone else really struggling with battery life on the new phone? I cant even get a full day out of a charge now. My old one I could get about 2 days of use!

I know youre going to say turn off 3g then, but isnt that the whole point of owning this phone is the use of 3g??

ANyone know of a program that can be put on the main page to easily click 3g on and off? I hate going through all the setting to get to that...

Im in real estate so I use my cell phone a LOT (Im on the unlimited minutes plan) and really feel the battery claims are unsubstantiated as this phones battery life seems to be miserable under normal use. I'm not even playing games or using any apps!

Anyone else?

Jeff

I really think that Apple could be a lot smarter on how the power management works...the wifi and 3G should only kick in when you need it. Here are some example scenarios:

Idle Phone mode with email accounts

Only 2g edge needed checking push, accepting text and incoming calls.

Open Safari, Youtube or mail for example

iPhone should then check to see if there is wifi, no wifi, try 3G. No 3G back to edge.

After a few minutes inactivity of high bandwidth requirements it should then automatically fall back to 2g again. Same goes for GPS. You don't need it half the time so it should power down unless you need it automatically. I know you can do this manually but its a right pain to keep switching wifi and 3G on an off. It seems to switch on 3G and wifi pretty quick too so it should be quite seamless.

Hope this gets addressed in a future update.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    I agree I think it should be able to change back and forth depending on use.

My 2g iphone would give me about 2 days of a charge vs the 3g which barely gets 1 day on a charge...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

My friend if you use your phone a lot for calls then im afraid you went for the wrong phone.

LOL. That's kinda funny. How silly of someone to use a phone as a phone.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    As much as battery life may suck, the iphone apparently has the best battery life of any 3G phone. I'm not at all sure that the lack of 3G on the original iPhone was such a bad idea.

• Reply 6 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

As much as battery life may suck, the iphone apparently has the best battery life of any 3G phone. I'm not at all sure that the lack of 3G on the original iPhone was such a bad idea.

I think it needs to be said that the iPhone 3G is 'top of its class' WRT battery life when compared to comparable 3G 'smart phones' ... otherwise someone somewhere is going come up with some random 'do nothing' 3G phone and claim it has better battery life...

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I cant even get a full day out of a charge now.

Are you syncing with Exchange or MobileMe?

Apparently altering push settings can help.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    I'm not using push at all. I have gmail.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    covertocoverto Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deestar View Post

I really think that Apple could be a lot smarter on how the power management works...the wifi and 3G should only kick in when you need it. Here are some example scenarios:

Idle Phone mode with email accounts

Only 2g edge needed checking push, accepting text and incoming calls.

Open Safari, Youtube or mail for example

iPhone should then check to see if there is wifi, no wifi, try 3G. No 3G back to edge.

After a few minutes inactivity of high bandwidth requirements it should then automatically fall back to 2g again. Same goes for GPS. You don't need it half the time so it should power down unless you need it automatically. I know you can do this manually but its a right pain to keep switching wifi and 3G on an off. It seems to switch on 3G and wifi pretty quick too so it should be quite seamless.

Hope this gets addressed in a future update.

As a potential buyer for an iPhone 3G, these are exactly the kinds of improvements I'd be hoping for in an update. My question is - can these be achieved with a software update, or are these issues embedded in the hardware and destined to dog the iPhone for another year?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    Quote:

I'm not even playing games or using any apps!

Anyone else?

Mine sucked at first and I was really pissed, but once I turned off push my battery life is much better. But I gotta ask... if you're mostly using voice, why do you need 3G on? It's not going to make your calls sound better.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Here are some quick tips that have helped bring my iPhone 3G's battery life to a level that exceeds even that of my original iPhone.

apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 12 of 12
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    3G will always kill a cell's battery life. This was already known before the new iPhone came out. At least the iPhone has the best battery life of all 3G phones, but I would still turn it off as much as possible.