PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 now fuller rivals to Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

1. I don't see XBox nor PS3 to be a competitors to Apple TV. Maybe its just me or not, but I see Apple TV targeted towards Family Audience and XBOX and PS3 towards younger generation and teenagers.

I can't see Parents using their kids PS3 to rent movies, kid is not gonna like it because he/she will want to play, so Parents will just get Apple TV for their own use.\

I could. I was thinking of getting an Apple TV, but can't see the point when my PS3 can do everything it can do, and a lot more. It was play media straight off my NAS, the only thing it won't do it play is the protected media off the iTunes store, all that means is I don't buy stuff from iTunes.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

I've been playing with both my old and new iPhones, and I'm starting to realize, The iPhone is going to render the PSP, DS, etc. Obsolete. It's just much more intuative, and as soon as there are better games for it, It is going to blow them out of the playing field. It's quite possible that this could happen with ATV as well.

You might want to compare the prices of the phone, or even the iPod touch, to the portable game machines like the PSP, DS etc. The PSP and DS are around 150 - 180 euro, and a lot less in the US, and apart from buying games, no on-going costs. Plus you can download demo games from the PSN for the PSP
  • Reply 63 of 126
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

What kind of speakers do you have in your sound system? I never hear anything from my Xbox360 while watching a movie or listening to music but the movie or song. And both look and/or sound fantastic.

Oh and I forgot to mention that with Connect360 I get to stream media from my mac to my Xbox as well. My home entertainment system is a blast and not expensive at all.

He's talking about the noise form the 360 fans and disk drive. You have to be honest, it's loud.

Also, connect360 and medialink for the ps3 are half assed ways to listen to media that's not drm'd.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smoketx View Post

Apple TV needs to add DVR capabilities and then it leaps ahead again.

I believe Sony is already selling a DVR add-on to the PS3 in some countries (unfortunately not the US).
  • Reply 65 of 126
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

He's talking about the noise form the 360 fans and disk drive. You have to be honest, it's loud.

My Elite is not loud. It is quiet as hell. Maybe he owns a refurbed first gen 360? A friend of mine owns one that was refurbed and hers is loud but even that is not noticeable when we are blasting a movie through a surround sound system.

Quote:

Also, connect360 and medialink for the ps3 are half assed ways to listen to media that's not drm'd.

I happen to enjoy it very much. Sounds good through nice speakers. My favorite way to listen to music is still through my Shure ear monitors and mini amp connected to my Nano but in the house I use the 360.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I happen to enjoy it very much.

Connect360 and medialink haven't worked so well for me. One of them would work for 10 minutes then sponaneously corrupt itself, and support is useless, there's no troubleshooting help. I don't think the other one worked for me at all.

I had high hopes for them as I had a PS3 but no ATV, but they just didn't work for me. I still hope to get an ATV, but I need to get or replace other equipment to accommodate it, making it a $450 upgrade for me.
  • Reply 67 of 126
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Playstation 3 = Blu-Ray + Next-gen gaming + Netflix ( 90,000 titles ) = £299 = pass

Apple TV = itunes content + 1,000 titles = £199 = fail

+++

People that don't realize that the ATV is in big trouble are are kidding themselves. Sales have always been rumored to be weak. These moves by Sony and MS only undercut the ATV further.

Right now the PS3 seems to have the best feature set of all the 'media hubs' available. I think it(PS3) will do well this Christmas.
  • Reply 68 of 126
    dkgatordkgator Posts: 2member
    I am 38 and bought the PS3 as a bluray player, I have a few games but they really only get played when the nephews are in town. I have been eyeing an apple tv for some time now and would pull the trigger as would a lot of people if there were a version of the appletv that included a 2.0 bluray player. I would download movies via Itunes but there are some movies that I want to own in full 1080P with all the extras and audio quality. The PS3 now meets this but is lacking itunes compatability. If the apple tv added the bluray compatability I would move the PS3 to my 3 year olds playroom.
  • Reply 69 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Ummm, Okay... I'll iCal it..

So, I see that you registered here on AI today.... Who do you work for Sony or Microsoft?

So someone has to be a Sony or MS employee to know that the Apple TV is a joke?

• Reply 70 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkgator View Post

. If the apple tv added the bluray compatability I would move the PS3 to my 3 year olds playroom.

My AppleTV is going to the bed room. I rarely use it. I use my HD DVD player more than it and that format died!I've rented 2 movies since Take2 was released and just don't like the whole 24hour policy. I think ATV is best for use in a remote location anyway rather than in the living room. I should have bought a MiniMAc instead. I already stream music over airport express anyway. I will use the HDMI for a Blu-ray unless- Does anyone know if you can hook up a Mac MIni with an HDMI cable?
  • Reply 71 of 126
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does anyone know if you can hook up a Mac MIni with an HDMI cable?

Yes, you need a DVI to HDMI cable and a seperate audio cable, audio is not run through the DVI connection. I have a MacBook hooked up to a samsung like that, I think apple sells the DVI to HDMI cable, yuou then just need an HDMI cable.
  • Reply 72 of 126
    Quote:

I will use the HDMI for a Blu-ray unless- Does anyone know if you can hook up a Mac MIni with an HDMI cable?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ord=HDMI%20DVI
  • Reply 73 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yes, you need a DVI to HDMI cable and a seperate audio cable, audio is not run through the DVI connection. I have a MacBook hooked up to a samsung like that, I think apple sells the DVI to HDMI cable, yuou then just need an HDMI cable.

Perfect thanks. Do you think the best way to web surf on a big TV would be via a laptop or MacMini?
  • Reply 74 of 126
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkgator View Post

I am 38 and bought the PS3 as a bluray player, [...] The PS3 now meets this but is lacking itunes compatability.

NullRiver Software's MediaLink

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink
  • Reply 75 of 126
    Quote:

Perfect thanks. Do you think the best way to web surf on a big TV would be via a laptop or MacMini?

There is no simple answer, it depends on what you want.. A mini with wireless mouse & keyboard would be pretty good. If you need a computer to take elsewhere, then a notebook can do the same, sitting next to the TV. But using the notebook on your lap connected to a 10-15ft cord to your TV probably isn't a good idea.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

NullRiver Software's MediaLink

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Have you actually used it?
  • Reply 77 of 126
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

(as posted earlier today at Roughly Drafted)

Today Sony announced its new online movie/TV rental/sales store for the PlayStation 3 that essentially matches the AppleTV in selection, picture quality, and content pricing. it goes online tomorrow. there are currently over 4 million PS3's in the US. you can play movies/TV shows you buy also on the PlayStation Portable, analogous to an iPod Touch. there are currently over 10 million PSP's in the US.

obviously this new service is direct competition with AppleTV (both lack NBC/Universal, which is hooked up now with NetFlix/XBox). the PS3 can also serve as a media extender to play all your iTunes and other media on your computer on your TV, just like AppleTV (though not as elegantly). in other words, if you have a PS3 there is no reason to then buy an AppleTV now.

of course the PS3 costs $260 more, but for that you also get a state of the art game console, a top notch bluray DVD player, and a mediocre web browser for your TV.

i'm afraid the AppleTV is looking more and more like Apple's equivalent to the Zune. too little, too late. nearly everyone agrees it needs to serve more functions than just a simple iTunes media extender. adding iPhone remote control is a nice sexy tweak, but it's no going to sell more of them.

The quickest and easiest thing Apple could do is add the Safari web browser with a software update (this has already been hacked). there is no really good browser for TV use yet (the XBox version is mediocre too). that would open up the whole, booming world of online media content to be accessed via your AppleTV. no price increase would be needed.

the emerging consensus is the main function needed is a DVR. this is more complicated, both hardware and software, and legal DRM issues. but right now by default TiVo and the cable companies control that market. TiVo adds its own limited movie rental/sale UnBox service and media extender capability, thus taking away AppleTV sales from the other direction.

And yes, a bluray DVD player would complete the AppleTV package nicely. Then you would have a TiVo killer, and a product that beats the PS3 except for serious gaming.

time is running out. no one is going to buy the AppleTV this christmas as it is.

Adding a Blu-ray drive to the Apple TV would put the price higher than the the PS3. Apple will not take a loss on the hardware. They like their 30+% margins.

I have both. I love both. I would probably be more apt to rent movies via the Apple TV but having the choice is nice and the the PS3 might have a movie that is not available on Apple TV.

No need to play fanboi here.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    The biggest issue for me with the AppleTV is that I am locked into one movie provider. As much as I like Apple, this is one place where I would like choice.

For me, despite being more expensive the Mac Mini makes more sense. My reasoning is that it has a built in DVD drive, the software is easy to upgrade, I can install other software and it can also serve as my media server. While it doesn't have connections such as component video, it does have DVI which is easily converted to HDMI with the right cable.
  • Reply 79 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have you actually used it?

I use it, it works fine
  • Reply 80 of 126
    Bullcrap. You must not own a 360, and it shows. I've watched movies and it's loud at all. You must watch you movies with the volume down with closed captions on. When will you dolts realize that competition is good for us, the consumers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanchaiman View Post

Yes.. watching movies would be dreadful.... rather like sitting in a jumbo getting ready to take off..