Apple apologizes to MobileMe subscribers with free 30-day extension

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday admitted to botching the launch of its new MobileMe Internet service and said all current customers will be awarded with a free 30-day extension to their subscription as a result.

"The transition from .Mac to MobileMe was a lot rockier than we had hoped," the company said on its website. "We will be extending subscriptions by 30 days to customers free of charge to express our appreciation for their patience during the transition period."

In an email to subscribers, Apple noted that although the launch of core services such as Mail, iDisk, Sync, Back to My Mac, and Gallery went relatively smoothly, the new MobileMe web applications "had lots of problems."

"Fortunately we have worked through those problems and the web apps are now up andÂ*running," the company said.

In the same email, the iPhone maker also acknowledge that its use of the word "push" in describing everything under the MobileMe umbrella proved to be misleading.

"While all email, contact or calendar changes on the iPhone and the web apps are immediately synced to and from the MobileMe 'cloud,' changes made on a PC or Mac take up to 15 minutes to sync with the cloud and your other devices," the company said. "So even though things are indeed instantly pushed to and from your iPhone and the web apps today, we are going to stop using the word 'push' until it is near-instant on PCs and Macs, too."

MobileMe subscribers should look for their automatic 30-day extension to be reflected in their account settings within the next few weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    The MobileMe rocky transition is still an ongoing battle for us. We have not been able to successfully synchronize our iCal calendars nor our Address Book to the MobileMe website for 3 days now. The MobileMe website contains OUTDATED information from our Address Book and iCal calendars. We are running Mac OS X 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro, with the MobileMe 1.1 updater applied. We have tried all the troubleshooting steps on Apple's website, including unregistering & re-registering our computer from the MobileMe system preference, completely resetting our sync data from the MobileMe System Preference, resetting our SyncServices folder using the Terminal command in this tech info article <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627>, repairing permissions, and running Keychain First Aid. All to no avail. Our MacBook Pro has all the current & up-to-date information, but the MobileMe website does NOT have the current & up-to-date information. The MobileMe website has a hybrid combination of old information along with SOME (but not all) of our current information. It is EXTREMELY frustrating! AND WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY ERROR MESSAGES WHEN WE SYNC! The MobileMe system preference says that our last successful sync was just a few minutes ago! But yet, the MobileMe website is NOT up-to-date. We have tried clearing our Safari cache and quitting/relaunching Safari as well. Apple, please fix this problem!
  • Reply 2 of 69
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    I mentioned in another article comment that the "right thing" (tm) to do was to extend customer's contracts a few days to cover the few days of outages. 30 days is quite generous IMHO for about 5 days of trouble.

The push thing was a bit oversold, not so much in what they said, but what they carefully omitted in the demo. The thing I am finding is that push is killing my battery life on my iPhone. I work in a building which gets minimal reception and after enabling push, my battery is about half done after an 8 hour work day of the phone just sitting. Contrast that to maybe 10% down with manual checking set.

Sheldon
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

..... "right thing" (tm)

What does that mean?
  • Reply 4 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday admitted to botching the launch of its new MobileMe Internet service and said all current customers will be awarded with a free 30-day extension to their subscription as a result.

I guess it is a nice gesture but I'd just like it all to work. And to say it is working now is plain not true. It's like George Bush saying we are winning the war on terror, or that the economy is strong. Say what you will, everybody knows it ain't true. My email is a mess and today it just didn't load at all. My iWeb pages are screwed up and my calendar is not really living up to its promise. I will use this service when it works. More importantly, when it has been proven to work for more than a week or two. These services are too important to be half arsed. They look great in theory but for me Google Apps will not be ditched yet.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Wow, nice gesture indeed. For those who signed up for the free 60-day trial, it does not appear you'll get an extra 30 days (least it doesn't show that on my account). I would have been really surprised if they had given the free trial users another 30 days.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    My dotMAc account expired June 25th and I decided to wait rather than get invloved in this mess. Does anybody know the time limit I can wait to renew before Apple would expire my email address?
  • Reply 7 of 69
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Callaway7 View Post

Wow, nice gesture indeed. For those who signed up for the free 60-day trial, it does not appear you'll get an extra 30 days (least it doesn't show that on my account). I would have been really surprised if they had given the free trial users another 30 days.

I think you do get the extension: (from Apple website)

What if I am in the free trial period?

Your trial period will be extended an additional 30 days. The change will be applied to your account within the next few weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The MobileMe rocky transition is still an ongoing battle for us. We have not been able to successfully synchronize our iCal calendars nor our Address Book to the MobileMe website for 3 days now. The MobileMe website contains OUTDATED information from our Address Book and iCal calendars. We are running Mac OS X 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro, with the MobileMe 1.1 updater applied. We have tried all the troubleshooting steps on Apple's website, including unregistering & re-registering our computer from the MobileMe system preference, completely resetting our sync data from the MobileMe System Preference, resetting our SyncServices folder using the Terminal command in this tech info article <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627>, repairing permissions, and running Keychain First Aid. All to no avail. Our MacBook Pro has all the current & up-to-date information, but the MobileMe website does NOT have the current & up-to-date information. The MobileMe website has a hybrid combination of old information along with SOME (but not all) of our current information. It is EXTREMELY frustrating! AND WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY ERROR MESSAGES WHEN WE SYNC! The MobileMe system preference says that our last successful sync was just a few minutes ago! But yet, the MobileMe website is NOT up-to-date. We have tried clearing our Safari cache and quitting/relaunching Safari as well. Apple, please fix this problem!

Did you replace all sync info on mobileme with what's on your computer?
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

My dotMAc account expired June 25th and I decided to wait rather than get invloved in this mess. Does anybody know the time limit I can wait to renew before Apple would expire my email address?

Your email address is yours for life even if you cancel .mac.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Wow, I am surprised, happily, the Apple has admitted a mistake so publicly and openly. Hopefully this is a new Apple.

Now, about my nano with its tilted screen (among other things)...
  • Reply 11 of 69
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

This is true, I have let my subscription end for a few years, and hop back on with the same username.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    30 more days does not solve any subscriber's problem. MobileMe shouldn't have been released, these issues are not Server overload issues nor are they oversight issues. Instead they are typical your typical fresh-code issues that should be in the alpha or early stages of beta. Definitely not ready for prime-time.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    loopezloopez Posts: 1member
    it wont solve my connection problems behind proxy - until it is solved promotions won't solve my issues. i want timeframes - not copy paster answers.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    My Calendar does not work at all. I can't view it online and it doesn't sync. So I don't know what they are talking about up and running now. Plus I had to delete and republish my Galleries and upload by hand half of my iWeb pages.

This is the worse launch in Apple history and for me it's still not fully upgraded. It's worse than .Mac. My computers wont even update to MM and I have leopard and I still have to sync my iCal in iTunes:d evil:
  • Reply 15 of 69
    robtbrobtb Posts: 2member
    What happened to the day when Apple introduced a new item and it was available today. I understand that the iPhone requires FCC approval and that is a public thing. Instead of Apple centering the introduction of MobileMe and iPhone 2.0 on the introduction of the iPhone 3G, it had been the other way around, many of the problem could have been foreseen and corrected without racing against the clock and failing. Yes, I do feel Apple failed on this one. I feel as if Apple has put together a string of failures of late. Not in the products they've introduced, but in the execution of those introductions. Apple and Steve Jobs used to be the masters in flawless product introductions when they did things their way in their time instead of racing against a clock. MobileMe done correctly and as promised (marketed) didn't need the iPhone 3G to be a success. As of today MobileMe isn't what we as Apple habitué nor I hope Apple is satisfied with. Steve Jobs the 30 day extension is very generous but, fulfilling your promises to use Apple loyal within the next 30 days is a true apology.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    gerypgeryp Posts: 1member
    I also don't agree that everything should be working fine ...

Until last week my daily average internet bandwidth consumption was 500MB. Since the .ME upgrade last Friday this became about 4Gigs a day. Using a network analyzer I figured out that the "dotmacsyncclient" is responsible for uploading about 3.5GB "sync data" a day(!!!) to idisk.mac.com. If this is the case with many users, no wonder the .ME servers go down "due to high traffic".
  • Reply 17 of 69
    The syncing of our 2 calendars still doesn't work at all. It appears between the 2 notebooks as always, but doesn't sync to me.com, consequently I have only my own entries in my me.com account.

After receiving the email from Apple, when I logged onto me.com it rejected my 4 year old password, then a screen appeared saying that another MacBook Air was registered, but I could use the same password. There is only one MBA. It then allowed me in, but had to perform a merge. I see no changes. Calendars aren't working, there's no todo in calendars.

Am I alone?
  • Reply 18 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

NOT TRUE

My original one expired and I re joined some time later and my e-mail was taken. had to think up a new one.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

This is true, I have let my subscription end for a few years, and hop back on with the same username.

It must be luck. Mine was grabbed within two months.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I had a problem where my calendars wouldn't sync with MobileMe, whenever I tried to add anything at www.me.com/calendar, it refreshed the page without adding my changes. To fix it, I went to the MobileMe System Preference, clicked the Sync tab, then advanced, and unregistered each of my Macs individually. This took a while, upto a minute each. When the last one finally unregistered, a few seconds later I was asked if I wanted to remove sync information form the server. I removed all sync data and opened iSync. Then opened iSync preferences and reset Sync History. I re-registered the most up-to-date Mac and replaced all info on MobileMe. My calendars then showed up on MobileMe and my iPhone.