Why is my iMac always falling off my home network?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have my iMac always on, serving up our big iTunes library to our wireless network around the house. It seems to fall off the network fairly regularly, every days pretty much. I have an Airport Extreme, and several Expresses.

Anyone know what be causing this? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    How is your Firewall settings configured?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    soundhoundsoundhound Posts: 134member
    don't know. But why would that cause the iMac to fall off the network? Isn't that all internet to the network?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post

don't know. But why would that cause the iMac to fall off the network? Isn't that all internet to the network?

Your firewall settings on each machine can affect the connectivity.

As for what is causing your drops, it could be outside traffic accessing your network.

Your firewall should:
    A. Block outside traffic from access

B. Limit access to your connected devices

C. Be seamless across your network
    For example, when I wanted to share resources with my new Macbook, I had to properly configure my Airport settings and my Firewall settings to secure a connection.

Always protect your network with a password (if you do nothing else).

Each and every one of your Expresses should be all configured with a password or you risk the general public to accessing your network and compromising security.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

I don't think that firewall settings have squat to do with it. If any device is ever on the network, then the firewall settings are not relevant, because they didn't affect the device previously.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you beyond something is interrupting the network connection.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Another thought came to mind with this issue.

Since each of your Express base stations are wirelessly connected, it is possible to interrupt that connection to cause those drops.

Perhaps a nearby television interference, a hair dryer or something.

You may need to reposition your Extreme base stations (hope that helps).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Does the iMac fall off of the network at random times, or does it always happen at the same time of day? Can you identify any activity outside of the iMac that happens at the same time as the disconnect?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Would the Expresses have anything to do with the iMac wireless connection to the Extreme? That's the connection that goes down all the time...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Would the Expresses have anything to do with the iMac wireless connection to the Extreme? That's the connection that goes down all the time...

If all of the Expresses are going down at the same time, then I don't think it's an Express problem, but a problem from the Extreme end. That's the only thing that would shut down every Express at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Sounds like a router problem. Or it could be interference, from other networks or other 2.4GHz sources like cordless phones and microwaves.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Sounds like a router problem. Or it could be interference, from other networks or other 2.4GHz sources like cordless phones and microwaves.

Exactly why I asked him if there was any identifiable activity going on when the shutdown occurs. I'm betting that it's an interference issue.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    It's hard to say what's going on when it happens. Generally it's on when I leave in the morning, and when I come home, the iMac is off the network, though the network is up and running fine. It sometimes happens in one day, sometimes takes a little longer, a day or two...

<<

Originally Posted by FuturePastNow

Sounds like a router problem. Or it could be interference, from other networks or other 2.4GHz sources like cordless phones and microwaves.>>

<<Exactly why I asked him if there was any identifiable activity going on when the shutdown occurs. I'm betting that it's an interference issue.>>
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

It's hard to say what's going on when it happens. Generally it's on when I leave in the morning, and when I come home, the iMac is off the network, though the network is up and running fine. It sometimes happens in one day, sometimes takes a little longer, a day or two...

<<

Originally Posted by FuturePastNow

Sounds like a router problem. Or it could be interference, from other networks or other 2.4GHz sources like cordless phones and microwaves.>>

<<Exactly why I asked him if there was any identifiable activity going on when the shutdown occurs. I'm betting that it's an interference issue.>>

What else is running on the iMac when this happens? Is it online?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    It serves up a big (500 gig) music library to the rest of the network. It's always oneline, or trying to be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

What else is running on the iMac when this happens? Is it online?

• Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

It serves up a big (500 gig) music library to the rest of the network. It's always oneline, or trying to be.

Let me rephrase that. Is the iMac connected to the internet, or just on your LAN?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Oh I see, sorry. It's connected wirelessly to the airport network, accessing the internet through the Extreme. Is that what you mean?

Quote:

Let me rephrase that. Is the iMac connected to the internet, or just on your LAN?

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Oh I see, sorry. It's connected wirelessly to the airport network, accessing the internet through the Extreme. Is that what you mean?

Yeah. You might try disconnecting from the internet for awhile to see if that has any effect on your problem.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    You mean disconnecting the Extreme from the internet, and see if the iMac still falls off the network?

Quote:

Yeah. You might try disconnecting from the internet for awhile to see if that has any effect on your problem.

• Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

You mean disconnecting the Extreme from the internet, and see if the iMac still falls off the network?

Yes, that's what I meant.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

I have my iMac always on, serving up our big iTunes library to our wireless network around the house. It seems to fall off the network fairly regularly, every days pretty much. I have an Airport Extreme, and several Expresses.

Anyone know what be causing this? Thanks!

You dont specify your specific iMac type, or peripherals.

My first gen intel imac cannot use bluetooth and wireless internet at the same time. The bluetooth causes interference which ruins network connectivity. I suffered it for a long time thinking that it was a wifi problem, but once I abandoned by mouse and keyboard it improved dramatically.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Was it always falling off your network or at some point it was working?