Why did my battery almost die all of a sudden?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After fulling charging my iPhone 3G last night, I used it lightly throughout the day today. When I got home, it had around 70% energy left. I then put it on the table and let it sit there for two hours. After two hours, I went back and press Home to turn it on, but nothing happened. Then I clicked the on/off button and a red battery symbol appeared with a lightning bolt icon, indicating it was almost totally out of juice.

Why? So far as I know, I had no apps running (the screen was off when I set it down). 3G was enabled, but even with push email, it shoudn't deplete anywhere near that fast, right?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

After fulling charging my iPhone 3G last night, I used it lightly throughout the day today. When I got home, it had around 70% energy left. I then put it on the table and let it sit there for two hours. After two hours, I went back and press Home to turn it on, but nothing happened. Then I clicked the on/off button and a red battery symbol appeared with a lightning bolt icon, indicating it was almost totally out of juice.

Why? So far as I know, I had no apps running (the screen was off when I set it down). 3G was enabled, but even with push email, it shoudn't deplete anywhere near that fast, right?

Any ideas?

I've had this experience with my 1G phone when I leave Maps as the front app and just click off the screen. Otherwise, nothing like this.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Any ideas?

The same thing happened to me on Tuesday. Phone was fully charged. Left it there for about two hours with 3G and wireless on. But when ready to use two hours later the battery was red on the screen and kept shutting off.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    I've had this too - bar stays green, full for a couple of days then suddenly is dead, or red and needs charging.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Any ideas?

If you google around on this a little bit there are a number of reports of this that people believe are associated with the new AIM application if you don't have it sign-off on exit. This is a choice in the AIM preferences in System Preferences. The default is to NOT sign-off on exit. Did you install AIM?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

If you google around on this a little bit there are a number of reports of this that people believe are associated with the new AIM application if you don't have it sign-off on exit. This is a choice in the AIM preferences in System Preferences. The default is to NOT sign-off on exit. Did you install AIM?

I did install AIM, though I don't think I turned it on yesterday. Good to know though, and I'll be sure to disable that option. Thanks!