iPhone 3G shortages causing major delays for AT&T, businesses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    On another topic, does anyone know how the release has gone in Japan? I know there was alot of talk about how the iPhone would not be good enough for the sofisticated comsumers there... Is that holding true in the early stages?
  • Reply 22 of 65
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I thought business' were a lot smarter than this, it sounds to me like the one quoted in the article has no current alternative. Say like the blackberrys the were using before.

They would of known about the hype, and would of anticipated delays surely.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I ordered my iPhone at the local (Auburn, Maine) store and was told I should see it within 2 weeks.

Skip

PS They only had 50 opening day, and sold out in the first hour ? and have since sold (taken orders) - according to my salesman) about another 60+-.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    dayhilldayhill Posts: 4member
    I was 10th in line after they sold out Friday morning. I figured I would just do the direct fulfillment order - the reps told me it would be in by early next week. I got the confirmation e-mail with directions on how to check the order status, but it didn't work. I spent HOURS on the phone with reps who finally located the order, only to tell me that it was back-ordered. I went to the ATT store and it took them 30 minutes to locate the order, but the manager told me it would be in within "the next few days". I called ATT customer service, and they told me - once they located the order, that it would likely be several more weeks. In the meantime, people who were behind me in line were at the store when I was there receiving their phones, and people were walking into the Apple Store in Chicago and walking out with phones right away. I went back to the store and requested the order be cancelled since they weren't able to track it and their automated system was useless. Even though they told me when the order was placed that it couldn't be cancelled, they did cancel it right away. That was the only good part of the whole experience dealing with ATT. If you have access to an Apple Store - choose it every time over the idiots at the ATT store. And I swear - If I hear the scripted response "I do apologize for the inconvenience" one more time...
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

I know someone who works in shipping/logistics who told me that they had large crates of iPhones sitting in warehouses at their terminal up to two weeks before the launch - and some of those crates are still sitting there. Didn't press the person any further about where the delay is coming from, but it does seem kind of strange that these things aren't getting to the retailers or the retailer's distribution centers.

I have a bud at work who recently got a Wii. He showed up at the store early to get the thing and the sales rep told them the had plenty in stock in the warehouse but were only authorized to release so many at a time. We at work figured Steve Jobs was up to the same crap considering the lead time they had. All to keep the PR rolling.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

NYC stores all have iphones, but every time I call they say 4 hour wait....

It's the new Apple policy, even if phones are in stock, you have to wait in line for 4 hours for the pleasure of being able to purchase one. I hear they're installing an obstacle course with lions and flaming pools of oil soon so get in line while you still can.

I mean really, who gives a fuck? People who wait in line, complain, sweat it and generally can't wait for a product deserve everything they get and more. It's a nice phone but not really necessary or life-changing. And it's especially not necessary to get one right now.

We seem to be entering a new period of consumerism where the buyer is privileged to buy the product. We see this in the Wii, which is obviously being held back and to lesser degree the iPhone. It's exclusivity for the masses.

For me, I thought I'd wait until the 3G till I got one, but now I've realised the phone is just too big, too restricted and too expensive as a phone. And I don't like contracts. But I need a software development platform so I'm getting a touch I think. Online.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrummerMan View Post

The sales rep that took my order said that I should have one by Wednesday (yesterday) I also know that there are people who ordered after me that have received their phones. So the wait continues.... I probably will not get it until next week. (I Hope)

It's possible you got lost in the shuffle as this process is atypical for AT&T CSRs, but most likely the model you are requesting is more popular and so people after you requesting a different model are getting theirs first.

I ordered my first one (16GB black) on Friday and was called early on Tuesday to pick it up. Since you could order and pay for them ahead of time at AT&T stores I did that several times over at various retailers. I was also able to pick one up immediately at an Apple Store on Sunday. I feel like a bit like an ass now as I now have 3 16GB iphones 3Gs in hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

88 stores are totally sold out as of 9 pm tonight . Was 118 2 nights ago.

65 stores still have 16 gig black, most sold out iphone. Tuesday will be fun in the AAPL market

I was curious about that. The Apple Stores are getting a lot more product than AT&T stores. I'd even wager that the 187 Apple Stores have gotten more product than the ~1500 AT&T stores.

PS: This AI article just appeared on my RSS feed 5 minutes prior.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

We seem to be entering a new period of consumerism where the buyer is privileged to buy the product.

It's nothing so sinister. It's just supply and demand.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's nothing so sinister. It's just supply and demand.

You really can't say that about the Wii, they have had plenty of time to meet demand.

I'm not suggesting it's sinister, just marketing.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:

You really can't say that about the Wii, they have had plenty of time to meet demand.

I'm not suggesting it's sinister, just marketing.

I'm not so sure we can be certain of that. It's a relatively low cost console that appeals to a larger age group that other consoles. Pretty much everyone I know has a Wii, but only a handful of people I know have PS3s or 360s. Even my parents have a Wii for when guests come with their kids, and my father has even enjoyed Wii Sports Golf (this is a big deal considering the last video game he could play or enjoy was Pong.. seriously!).
  • Reply 31 of 65
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    What Apple should have done was triple production , sell the phone at $800 per iphone and give a $600 credit on your ATT account when u sign up for new contract , DUH. Let the customer buy 800 at a time still on the pallet and rake in the cash . Who cares if you activate it with ATT? Not APPL stock holders . Export all you want at full price . 70 countries on 1st day . That would sell some iphones lol .
  • Reply 32 of 65
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    2 weeks- ?????!

It really is all over.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    Quote:

"I have an enterprise account and could not get an iPhone for any price," one such buyer tells AppleInsider. "I thought Apple had finally figured out the whole business thing but alas it seems not."

I'm so sick and tired of IT types who dis apple. You morons waited for a Blackberry, too. And every goofy Treo had a dip in its supply chain too.

Wii anyone? How long did you wait, or how far and wide did you look before you found one (only to find out you were going to get scalped for it)?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

What Apple should have done was triple production , sell the phone at $800 per iphone and give a $600 credit on your ATT account when u sign up for new contract , DUH. Let the customer buy 800 at a time still on the pallet and rake in the cash . Who cares if you activate it with ATT? Not APPL stock holders . Export all you want at full price . 70 countries on 1st day . That would sell some iphones lol .

The major problem with that is despite teh overall higher cost over 2 years, many people either don't look at the long term or have the immediate funds for such a high initial price product. Typically, I'd say that two go hand-in-hand.

I had mentioned that months ago as a possible option, when you activate through iTunes you get one of 3 options for a refund: AT&T account credit, iTunes Store credit, or a refund check in the mail.

A possible minor issue with this may be with AT&T activation. With a torrent of quick sales, like last year, AT&T's activation servers may be bogged down like last year. But this year the interval was about 15 minutes per CSR per store for initializing the activation process. While some had issues this year I don't think anyone was even close to the timeframe debacle that was experiences last year and was well with the AT&T timeframe for activation. I was activated in 10 seconds on Sunday afternoon.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post

IWii anyone? How long did you wait, or how far and wide did you look before you found one (only to find out you were going to get scalped for it)?

I waited 7 months and found one at a Walmart the morning before I left the country for 6 months last year, and wasn't able to take it with me.

edit: Some Wii sales stats...
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not so sure we can be certain of that. It's a relatively low cost console that appeals to a larger age group that other consoles. Pretty much everyone I know has a Wii, but only a handful of people I know have PS3s or 360s. Even my parents have a Wii for when guests come with their kids, and my father has even enjoyed Wii Sports Golf (this is a big deal considering the last video game he could play or enjoy was Pong.. seriously!).

I haven't got an issue with the Wii's popularity or quality, it's the suggestion that a company can't meet demand after two years. Either they are holding back stock as a marketing gimmick, or they are incompetent. I'm going for the former. Price wise, a product becomes cheaper to produce as you build more, so building less would mean the price would go up.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

I haven't got an issue with the Wii's popularity or quality, it's the suggestion that a company can't meet demand after two years. Either they are holding back stock as a marketing gimmick, or they are incompetent. I'm going for the former. Price wise, a product becomes cheaper to produce as you build more, so building less would mean the price would go up.

Or they could be saving money on production by using a smaller production facility/ies. There are to many variables as to what is going on with Nintendo to make a clear cut determination, but I see no evidence that are creating a false issue with supply and demand.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

OH My God... 2 weeks delay... how will i or anyone in the world survive??

this MAJOR shortage is now affecting my business so much that , after 10 years of trading, i think i might have to fire all staff and close shop.

journalism at its lowest!!!

Seanie

I'm sorry but this is baby behavior. "I want my shiny new iPhone, I can't go another day without it!" If you were able to survive without it this long, then you can survive another 2 weeks.

Businesses like Apple can only take so big a gamble on products & everyone underestimated the the popularity of the 3G. Want to blame someone then blame the nay sayers in the market who keep saying the iPhone isn't a viable competitor to the Blackberry & other business oriented smart phones. They give it all a negative spin, Apple pulls back a bit on their preparations so as not to loose their shirts, & now those same whiny babies are mad at a dilemma they created!

Can we get off the iPhone already, I'm sick of it dominating the tech news!
  • Reply 39 of 65
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

OH My God... 2 weeks delay... how will i or anyone in the world survive??

this MAJOR shortage is now affecting my business so much that , after 10 years of trading, i think i might have to fire all staff and close shop.

journalism at its lowest!!!

Seanie

Just so we're clear, I was agreeing with seanie248.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

On another topic, does anyone know how the release has gone in Japan? I know there was alot of talk about how the iPhone would not be good enough for the sofisticated comsumers there... Is that holding true in the early stages?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....8445&tstart=75

Some users in Japan (all 3G there) claim the 3G iPhone has dreadful reception/signal issues i.e. other 3G phones on the same carrier in the same location have no such problems. No idea how widespread it is, but if there is a significant problem, it does not bode well for Apple in Japan