Umm....I got a Boot Camp problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm trying to use the Boot Camp assitant to install windows XP Pro on my MBP. but every time the assistant asks me how large I want the windows partition, this is what happens:

I can't adjust the partition slider. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Anybody?

Anybody?

Does nobody have any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    This is an odd one. I would run some of the Disk Utility tool such as Repair Disk Permissions. If that doesn't work I'd wipe and reload OS X from scratch
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

This is an odd one. I would run some of the Disk Utility tool such as Repair Disk Permissions. If that doesn't work I'd wipe and reload OS X from scratch

I have the exact same problem, and I tried a few things to no avail:

1. repair permissions/verify disk/erase free space in disk utility

2. creating a new 2nd partition in disk utility and couldn't do that.

After some poking around on the web, there is a concensus that the issue is disk fragmentation. I am contemplating two things:

1. reinstalling OS X and then restoring for a Time Machine back-up; or,

2. buying "iDefrag" and running it.

Thoughts on the those two option would be appreciated. I know there are two very distinct schools of thought on defragging a OS X volume - but being unable to create an 8 gig partition on a disk with 40 gigs of free space is odd.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    Fixed. I did an archive+install to no avail, and ended up doing an erase and install, restore from time machine, update and then bootcamp assistant.