Why isnt there a ipod recall?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After at least the 6th time of battling with my 5th generation video ipod to turn on I am wondering why Apple doesn?t recall them. They have a whole page about this known issue on their site and although I was again able to get it to boot and use it ..it is apparent to me that this is a known issue with ipod. Its still under warranty but the thought of sending my beloved ipod off too apple isn?t something I have been able to motivate myself to do..I am wondering if anyone has sent theirs back to apple for a fix and if indeed it did get fixed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Do you understand that a recall would be very unnecessary? How many iPods do you think your problem affects? There are more than 10 million 5Gen (including 5.5Gen) iPods out there! There is absolutely no reason to do a recall on all of those players. If, as you say, there is a well known problem in a subset of those players (even if it is 1%, though it is likely much less than that), Apple will happily fix the problem (or replace your iPod if they can't fix it). This is a far better way of dealing with such a problem. Unless iPods start bursting into flames, you will not see a recall; so get off your ass and have your iPod fixed (you're still waranteed and you're whining? are you for real?)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Its still under warranty but the thought of sending my beloved ipod off too apple isn’t something I have been able to motivate myself to do..I am wondering if anyone has sent theirs back to apple for a fix and if indeed it did get fixed?

No, actually, Apple just eats the iPods. They sell them broken, have you send them back under warrantee, and then they eat them.

Hold onto your iPod for dear life!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Do you understand that a recall would be very unnecessary? How many iPods do you think your problem affects? There are more than 10 million 5Gen (including 5.5Gen) iPods out there! There is absolutely no reason to do a recall on all of those players. If, as you say, there is a well known problem in a subset of those players (even if it is 1%, though it is likely much less than that), Apple will happily fix the problem (or replace your iPod if they can't fix it). This is a far better way of dealing with such a problem. Unless iPods start bursting into flames, you will not see a recall; so get off your ass and have your iPod fixed (you're still waranteed and you're whining? are you for real?)

It was a simple observation. In the future unless you can give constructive less hateful reply...don't bother. I hope you find your happy place.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

No, actually, Apple just eats the iPods. They sell them broken, have you send them back under warrantee, and then they eat them.

Hold onto your iPod for dear life!

Not my first choice but may have to happen..at least you have a sense of humor about it
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tisalaska View Post

It was a simple observation. In the future unless you can give constructive less hateful reply...don't bother. I hope you find your happy place.

Maybe it's your unreasonable complaint circumstances that should be addressed. Problems six times and you haven't sent it in to get fixed??? That right there is a clear indication that you have given up the moral right to complain about it publicly. It is you own conscious and explicit choice not to allow Apple to fix it. It doesn't matter if other folks have the same problem once you make the choice to not get it fixed.

So just get the damn thing fixed and be done with it. Or would you rather continue complaining and getting chastised for being lazy about getting it fixed?

Sorry, but this one required tough love.

Welcome to the boards!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tisalaska View Post

After at least the 6th time of battling with my 5th generation video ipod to turn on I am wondering why Apple doesn?t recall them. They have a whole page about this known issue on their site and although I was again able to get it to boot and use it ..it is apparent to me that this is a known issue with ipod. Its still under warranty but the thought of sending my beloved ipod off too apple isn?t something I have been able to motivate myself to do..I am wondering if anyone has sent theirs back to apple for a fix and if indeed it did get fixed?

I agree with you. My ipod rarely ever works. I have sent my Ipod in several times and each time they say they are sending me a new one I get my same old one. So I have just given up on that. There is a major problem with these ipods that everyone who is in my family and several of my friends have to deal with. We each went and bought new ones and we keep having the same occuring problem. It won't turn on. or it won't turn off. It freezes in the middle of a song or just stops working completley. I have officially given up hope on this faulty equipment.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acid_rain_kills_me_not_trees View Post

... We each went and bought new ones...

So... you have a product you believe is faulty, and you go buy another copy of the same thing? (rather than getting it fixed.)

Let me guess... If you went to a restaurant and got food poisoning, you'd order (and pay for) another plate of the same food?

I realize it was a one-post troll, but I just couldn't help myself.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have the first generation iPod (yes it still works sometimes), but there have been problems since the beginning. The battery runs down in about five minutes, and when you charge it, it sometimes has less battery power than before. It shuts down randomly in the middle of songs, and sometimes locks itself so none of the buttons work.

The fact is, Apple always puts out an imperfect product at first, so their attitude is caveat emptor. Don't look for any sympathy from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Where did all these guys come from? All agreeing with each other... all new... all in rapid succession.

Mmmm...

I have three 5G iPods and they all work perfectly.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by runnerman View Post

I have the first generation iPod (yes it still works sometimes), but there have been problems since the beginning. The battery runs down in about five minutes, and when you charge it, it sometimes has less battery power than before. It shuts down randomly in the middle of songs, and sometimes locks itself so none of the buttons work.

The fact is, Apple always puts out an imperfect product at first, so their attitude is caveat emptor. Don't look for any sympathy from Apple.

Huh. My first gen iPod (5GB baby!) still gets over two hours on the original battery, and has never had the issues you see. Funky.