AT&T offers iPhone owners free access to 17,000 WiFi hotspots

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After months of confusion and a couple of false starts, AT&T formally announced Friday that iPhone owners in the United States can now access free of charge its nation-leading Wi-Fi network comprised of more than 17,000 hotspots.

"AT&T knows Wi-Fi is hot, and free Wi-Fi even hotter, which is why we are proud to offer iPhone customers free access to the nation's largest Wi-Fi hotspot network with more than 17,000 hotspots, including Starbucks," the company said. "Now users can relax and access music, e-mail and web browsing services with their favorite blend in hand from the comfort of their favorite location."

Of those 17,000 hotspots, more than 8000 are located in restaurants or Starbucks locations, 700+ in bookstores, and another 50+ can be found in supermarkets. The network is also accessible at 12 airports, 31 hotels, 23 universities, 18 convention centers, and 5 sport complexes.

iPhone owners can use this link to locate AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots in cafés, bookstores, airports, hotels, and universities, or this link to find their nearest Starbucks location.

Once in range of an AT&T hotspot, iPhone users simply need to attempt to access any webpage via their handset's built-in Safari web browser. This will trigger an AT&T "Get Connected Now" login page that will ask users to input their iPhone's mobile number and agree to a set of terms of service before granting access.

Update: AT&T clearly does not have its act together when it comes to this offering and has for fourth time changed its mind. Around noon Eastern time, the company pulled the latest announcement from which this report was based, citing yet another error on the part of its employees by posting the announcement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Would this work for iPhone users laptops as well?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Only if you subscribe to AT&T internet services (thru AT&T Yahoo DSL or Uverse) I believe.

By the way, I've been using this for months at area Starbuck's, didn't realize there were problems with the rollout.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

based on the criteria seen here, I don't see why not
  • Reply 4 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Sounds like an AT&T ploy to get you use to it/sell more contracts and then start charging for it. Who are we kidding here?
  • Reply 5 of 46
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    AT&T has taken this down and called it another error. They need to make up their minds.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montypython View Post

I think it might. Am excited to try this weekend. What you need to do is identify your browser (Safari) as an iPhone and then use you number to log in. This worked when this service was rolled out under the radar a couple months ago. Hopefully it will work again.

How would one go about doing this? Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

AT&T has taken this down and called it another error. They need to make up their minds.

Yeah -- this is really getting ridiculous on their part.

Sorry about this guys, the announcement was up when we went to press.

Best,

K
  • Reply 8 of 46
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Sounds more like a stipulated agreement between Apple and ATT to offer this service for the iphone. I don't it's a coincidence that the UK is providing the free wifi to iphone users as well.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    I used to think at&t worked closely with the Bush administration. Now I'm convinced THEY ARE THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    AT&T has been providing WiFi at Starbuck's for over 4 months now, and frankly this has been working for me ever since. I've used it at 3 different Starbuck's locations without a problem. So are some metro areas functioning and others not?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

AT&T has been providing WiFi at Starbuck's for over 4 months now, and frankly this has been working for me ever since. I've used it at 3 different Starbuck's locations without a problem. So are some metro areas functioning and others not?

Not sure how you've been using wi-fi at Starbucks, but AT&T DSL customers have had free wi-fi at AT&T hotspots for over a year. The current issue concerns free AT&T wi-fi for iPhone customers, independently of whether they have AT&T DSL.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Will this work for iPhones from other countries? Say I was visiting the U.S. from Canada with my iPhone....??
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Not sure how you've been using wi-fi at Starbucks, but AT&T DSL customers have had free wi-fi at AT&T hotspots for over a year. The current issue concerns free AT&T wi-fi for iPhone customers, independently of whether they have AT&T DSL.

Well, I've been connecting my laptop at Starbuck's as you said without a problem (yes I am an AT&T DSL customer). Regarding the iPhone, though, it gives me a screen exactly like those in the screen shots for the iPhone specific login. I use my wireless number in this case and, as I said, have connected without a problem. I'll try again later today, maybe I am connecting thru my DSL account.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    whats the big deal with this? with the data plan you get Internet any way
  • Reply 15 of 46
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    The full list of Starbucks stores that are closing is available here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1216...googlenews_wsj

AT&T should be embarrassed by this whole iPhone WiFi pile of misinformation. Totally.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Available? Don't forget the $89 subscription fee...
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fortmajor View Post

whats the big deal with this? with the data plan you get Internet any way

WiFi is faster...
  • Reply 18 of 46
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    This is beginning to remind me of an old skit on the "We're All Bozos On This Bus" album by the Firesign Theatre.

In the skit, and hologram version of Richard Nixon is asked a simple question. The resulting "Yes!", "No!", "Yes!", "No!" responses are hilarious.

So just remember iPhone 3G owners...

We're All Bozos On This Bus
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

AT&T should be embarrassed by this whole iPhone WiFi pile of misinformation. Totally.

can you post the list?..as this is not available to non-WSJ subscribers
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herdthinner99 View Post

can you post the list?..as this is not available to non-WSJ subscribers

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/USStoreClosureInfo.pdf