iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless

Comments

• Reply 81 of 187
    Anyone else experiencing reduced battery life on V2 software running on the first generation iPhone? For a while I thought it was increased screen usage due to all of my experimenting with the new applications, but now that I am traveling and back to my normal usage patterns I am experiencing a noticeable reduction in battery life.
  • Reply 82 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's what happens when you choose to grow from a top notch computer company- Apple Computer and go the Sony route into an trendy electronics company - Apple Inc.

Two data points do not an empirical generalization make.
  • Reply 83 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

As a few others have mentioned, the contacts have been especially laggy for me... after I press a name it's unresponsive for a few seconds or slow.

Turning off 'Fetch' in individual (Mac, Gmail, Yahoo) mail settings got rid of the problem for me. Everything now responds instantaneously.

Of course, it means that I don't get to use the push feature. I hope this will be sorted out soon as a software fix by Apple. In the meantime, I'll have to manually download mail.
  • Reply 84 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Need I remind you that Windows XP SP3 rendered any HP/Compaq with an AMD processor unbootable, and the only way to fix it was restore the software.

I am not an MSFT shareholder.

(Well, I guess I could be indirectly an MSFT shareholder through my 401k plans and such; what I meant was 'direct' holdings.)
  • Reply 85 of 187
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\tShould I order some cheese to go with the whinning guys? \t\t\t

No, but you might want to order an original thought.
  • Reply 86 of 187
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You only need to go back 8-9 years ago when the original iMac G3s were all the rave. That's why Apple grew to what it is today- from fantastic word of mouth- on the Web!

And why are people always"complaining" when there are real malfunctions with their iPhones? The title of the thread even attests to it. And the roll out is not over if there is a shortage of phones and now malfunction issues. When their IPhone dies after a 3 hour charge- that's not a complaint but a problem.

The original iMac shipped with OS 9. OS 9 was plagued with such problems the only way to fix them was to abandon the OS entirely. Its easy to look back through rose colored glasses.
  • Reply 87 of 187
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The original iMac shipped with OS 9. OS 9 was plagued with such problems the only way to fix them was to abandon the OS entirely. Its easy to look back through rose colored glasses.

OS 9.0.4 had issues, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Keep in mind the hardware/software technology we had available to us circa 1999. Mac OS X is easily the best OS I've been lucky enough to use on a regular basis (anyone else here remember TOPS-10 and TOPS-20?), but consider just how much work had to happen to get the OS to where it is now.

IIRC, the Bondi iMac shipped with Mac OS 8.1. Setting up the first one on my block was such a treat. For my home computer, I waited until the iMac DV came out. That iMac DV was the best computer I've owned, before or since. #1 Daughter still uses it as a word processor. But I'm getting off the subject.

My iPhone 3G makes me feel like I felt when I was running a Macintosh that used System 7.5 (or so). IMO, iPhone 2.0 software seems about as buggy as System 7.5 was in its day. In particular, Mobile Safari seems buggy. OTOH, it is light-years ahead of any other mobile phone browser. This just serves to show just how lousy the competition is, and how much work the iPhone dev team has ahead of it.
  • Reply 88 of 187
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Safari can open up to 8 tabs but the iPhone can only hold about 2-3 pages in memory. The others will have to be reloaded when you access those tabs.

I understand that much. That's how it's been normally (though I wish all of the pages would stay loaded).

I mean having three or four pages open and exiting Safari. Then when you open Safari again, getting taken right to your bookmarks as if you just activated the phone for the first time. The pages disappear entirely.
  • Reply 89 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphoneuser View Post

Anyone else experiencing reduced battery life on V2 software running on the first generation iPhone? For a while I thought it was increased screen usage due to all of my experimenting with the new applications, but now that I am traveling and back to my normal usage patterns I am experiencing a noticeable reduction in battery life.

Big time YES the first 2 or 3 days. Now after a week its been better but still noticeably less than before. Battery running out after 12 hours of little use. Used to be easily double that.
  • Reply 90 of 187
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No. EVDO (which is what verizon and sprint use for 3g) seperates voice and data. 3g GSM encompasses both voice and data. That also explains the battery draining faster.

As with pre-3G GSM (GPRS/EDGE), EV-DO devices can not make or take calls while simultaneously using data, whereas 3G GSM (UMTS/HSDPA) can do so. In that sense, 3G does separate voice and data.
  • Reply 91 of 187
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphoneuser View Post

Yes, I am. Battery life seems to be 15-25% less on my original 8GB iPhone since I upgraded to the 2.0 OS, and that's even after I've set Mail to check for new messages once an hour, instead of every 15 minutes. Push email on my .Mac account is disabled, but it does use Push for contacts and calendars.

Also, I notice that the iPhone sometimes reports 1 bar of Wifi reception with my airport signal, even though I may be only a few feet away.
  • Reply 92 of 187
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Even rare problems seem widespread in a forum--but widespread or not, I'm glad they all seem fixable by software. Thus, they won't delay my purchase the way a defective hardware batch would.
  • Reply 93 of 187
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    This entire rollout has been a complete disaster. The software is buggy as HELL. People are blaming third party applications for crashing their iPhone/iPT, but it's the OS. After installing a new application, the system becomes unstable, and soon you'll have apps quitting on launch, or -- more commonly -- causing a kernel panic and resetting the iPhone.

Today I've just had even more fun. My iPod Touch spontaneously crashed, rebooted, and wouldn't get past the Apple logo anymore. Had to do a full restore, took hours to restore the backup and put all my stuff back on it again, and a few hours later it happened again. Had to restore again, and this time, start fresh without a backup, so I've lost all of my settings, bookmarks, web apps, and saved data for all applications. I have to spend hours copying everything back onto it, and setting it all up again. And it's starting to drive me nuts how long it takes to organize all the damn icons, dragging them around one at a time and having them shuffle out of your way and off the page you wanted them on. Annoying.

Both times before this happened, the Settings app had stopped working, and I just got a blank "window" instead of any buttons. Shortly thereafter, it exploded.

App management is a mess too. When you remove a program from the iPhone itself, iTunes isn't smart enough to figure out you deleted it on purpose, and promptly copies it right back on when you sync it next. And the reverse happens too. I've deleted apps from iTunes, hoping they would go away on the iPhone too, but no, they simply copy right back into iTunes again. There are various other problems with installing and updating apps on the iPhone and getting iTunes to realize you've done so, and vice versa. This is not advanced package management with complex interdependencies, guys, this is real easy shit. Whoever couldn't figure out this problem is not smart enough to be working at a company like Apple. Get with the effing program.

Some other great new features in the 2.0 "upgrade":

- The delete key on all keyboards now has weird latency and seems to build up an event queue, causing it to continue deleting long after you've released the button. I've lost entire emails when I just wanted to delete a few words. And there's no undo function. I could kick someone at Apple right in the nuts for this one.

- The ambient light sensor is now braindead. When I wake up the iPod, it doesn't immediately adjust the backlight, but sits there looking dim until I point it directly at a source of light, at which point it finally wakes up and sets the brightness appropriately. I've had to turn off auto-adjust brightness and I'll just have to deal with the loss of battery life from not having it turn down when it's dark.

Oh, and I love how I'm not allowed to install FREE updates to FREE apps when there is an outstanding charge on my account, until I have paid up (which would have never happened in the first place if Apple had charged me at the time of purchase -- Friday, July 11 -- instead of waiting till Monday, July 14). Maybe we don't want VersionTracker and the software store to be the same place after all.

I'm going to pull out my hair if I have one more issue with this piece of crap. Way to launch a new platform, Apple.
  • Reply 94 of 187
    linjlinj Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linj View Post

The following is for the purposes not of complaining but of adding to the general feedback and hopefully helping Apple.

Have had the phone for 3 days. Am a .mac subscriber now on MobileMe. Have set up the phone for MobileMe.

Initially, Mail seemed to work but no contacts or calendars were pushed to phone, despite iTunes' claim they were.

Called Apple and turned iPhone settings for sync off and back on and did same with phone power and contacts appeared in phone. However, since then, new contacts added to Mac not appearing in (or being pushed to) phone. Calendar appointments from mac still not going to iPhone and vice versa.

Had fully charged phone out last night for a few hours. Did a very small amount of browsing (5 minutes), movie watching (3 minutes), and texting. After 4 hours, had about 25% battery life remaining.

Have also had User Interface delay/lag problems and the odd black screen.

Until these items are fixed, not likely to download 3rd party apps and risk further difficulties.

On a different subject, don't understand why still only Safari works in landscape mode (and not email, for example), cannot copy and paste, SMS cannot access unsaved (not in contact list but in recent call list)) numbers, so must write unsaved down on paper and then compose SMS text message. Also, SMS function cannot access recent recipients list (if there is one) of recently sent text messages while composing a new message -- a very basic functionality disorder.

Have much yet to learn about the iPhone and how it works, so please forgive if have missed something.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Ok -- UPDATE! Apple tech helped me solve a couple of the problems listed above.

1. The sync issues were caused by my .mac preference pane's settings. The computer was set to sync with .mac (MobileMe) weekly, rather than hourly or, better, automatically when changes to contacts or calendars are made. Changing the setting has fixed my problems.

The battery issue may have been related she told me to the iPhone's WiFi setting being left on. The Apple tech said this uses a great deal of battery life. Still seems like a lot to me, though. She said I can go to the Apple store and have a genius do a battery diagnostic if problems continue.

She said the OS 2.0 lag issues might be due to the fact that the new OS creates a lot more overhead -- guess we'll find out eventually.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 95 of 187
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linj View Post

Ok -- UPDATE! Apple tech helped me solve a couple of the problems listed above.

1. The sync issues were caused by my .mac preference pane's settings. The computer was set to sync with .mac (MobileMe) weekly, rather than hourly or, better, automatically when changes to contacts or calendars are made. Changing the setting has fixed my problems.

The battery issue may have been related she told me to the iPhone's WiFi setting being left on. The Apple tech said this uses a great deal of battery life. Still seems like a lot to me, though. She said I can go to the Apple store and have a genius do a battery diagnostic if problems continue.

She said the OS 2.0 lag issues might be due to the fact that the new OS creates a lot more overhead -- guess we'll find out eventually.

Hope this helps.

I had solid battery life on my iPhone under 1.14, even with wifi on all the time. I honestly hope Apple doesn't try to convince people to start turning on/off their wifi and 3g and bluetooth settings, just to achieve a reasonable level of battery power. That's not convenient, and the iPhone is supposed to be convenient, if nothing else.
  • Reply 96 of 187
    shokkshokk Posts: 12member
    You say these issues are absent with Apple's own apps, but I experience the most trouble with Safari. It crashes way too often and the keyboard input lagging usually precedes the crash. Very disappointing, but I'm holding out on the hopes that they'll fix things soon.

How is it they get away with this crap and Microsoft gets royally reamed for Vista? Just saying that it seems like a double-standard.
  • Reply 97 of 187
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    sooo f-kn disappointed with this software 2.0 and apps.

my iPHONE was flawless before. now, issues. crashing, freeezing, horrible battery life.

tisk tisk on Apple for the guerilla style launch. impressive for promotion but ultimately the end user gets the shi-t end of the deal

think i'll go home and delete as many apps as possible. don't give a rat's ass about apps all of a sudden. it would be nice for my phone not to FREEEZE when answering a call! LOL!!! (which it never did before, d'uh!)

I've restarded my phone in one week more times than the one year I had it. no excuse from Apple is gonna change that fact!
  • Reply 98 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shokk View Post

How is it they get away with this crap and Microsoft gets royally reamed for Vista? Just saying that it seems like a double-standard.

It's been out for only a week and we already know Apple has an update on the horizon. Vista has been out for a 18 months for retail and longer for businesses who were brave/stupid enough to take the plunge. Besides the fact there are plenty of complaints so I don't know how you think there is some 'away getting' happening here, you need to allow for a certain time frame for bugs to be fixed.
  • Reply 99 of 187
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

True enough it is buggy. I was waiting for a story like this. Apple will issue updates to fix the bugs. This story will pass, it's not that big of a deal.

Actually, I think it is a bigger deal than that. If these 3rd party apps are going to be able to effect the core operation of the phone thats a big problem. Isn't this the biggest issue with all the other phones out there? Wasn't this supposed to be the reason Apple was the gate keeper? Apple doesn't seem responsible for 3rd party apps issues so I doubt apple will be issuing fixes for them. But I thought they were to be testing these before acceptance.
  • Reply 100 of 187
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    ... I know these apps don't have any background processes running when not launched, but I was wonder if having lots of apps installed - and thus lots of icons on desktop use enough CPU to cause problems? Anyone?

That said... I got a 16GB black yesterday. I love it. The screen is beautiful - no yellowing or warming, just seems "normal". But the whites are white and the blacks are black and all the colors fall where they belong. Nice! It shipped with that latest update, I didn't have to add it.

I have had some apps crash. Also, my remote can't find my iTunes library - I need to tinker with that.

I haven't been experiencing what could be considered "lag", but I have no experience with the 1st Gen to compare it with. My 3G calls have been fine, but I haven't used it while driving. My GPS is accurate so far.

I wish videos hosted on videos/google.com would stream, but they're all flash.

My first iPhone confession: I slept with it last night. xoxoxoxo ?

UPDATE: I was able to get my REMOTE working by changing firewall settings to: SET ACCESS FOR SPECIFIC SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS. Is this secure?