What's the best browser for OS X

:-):-)
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In OS 9.2 I'm using netscape com 4.78, due to problems with both netscape 6 and IE 5. How does these work in OS X? Are there any better choices out there (in your opinions)? And lastly, what about mail/news-programs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Use Mail.app for email, and OmniWeb 4.1b1 for web browsing.
  • Reply 1 of 40
    There's only one. OmniWeb. Best thing about OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Personally I use OmniWeb the most, but I also have iCab, Opera, IE 5.1, Netscape 6.2, and Mozilla all installed.

They all run native.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I like to "think different" so I switched and now I'm using Mail.App as my web browser and Internet Explorer as my email program. Doesn't work very well though.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I use Omniweb all the time. It's great. I only fire up IE when I need to do some stuff that OW can't handle, like javascript popup menus. The PB of 4.1 is nice and fast and easy to configure. No more popup windows for me Ads are gone too.

Lately, I've been having problems with OW crashing on me. Randomly, too. This has only been with the PB. The sneaky peeks were better in the stability :confused: I just wish they'd make it final already...

[edit: as for Netscape, I can't tell. I hate AOL worse than I hate MS. Won't download it. Wouldn't give it the time of day if I didn't have to test my webpages in it...jeez, does 4.7 suck...]

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 40
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    About every other day I switch back and forth between IE and OmniWeb.

OmniWeb has the looks, but IE has the speed and compatibility.

I just can't decide.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I'm with bradbower on this one. OmniWeb definitely beats IE and Mozilla for looks, but that's all. Speed is doing much better in the 4.1 sneakypeeks, but compatability is still shot to hell with a lot of websites.

I keep both OW and IE in my dock. Mozilla hasn't proven itself to be stable enough to earn a permanent spot in my dock, but it does render most sites very quickly and very accurately. When the Cocoa front end to Mozilla is complete, it's gonna be one sweet browser.

iCab is a joke.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Bradster ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 40
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    Myself I use Mozilla Mach-O most of the time.

It is by far the fastest of the browsers out there and much more stable than the regular version of Mozilla (Haven't had it crash in 2 months of continous use.) The biggest drawback is that the downloads don't work.

iCab when I need Flash, Quicktime or a download.

OmniWeb when I am in in a funky mood and am tired of the way the other browsers look. It looks goregous.

Opera I barley use anymore although I did use it as my primary browser before I found Mozilla

Mach-O.

IE.....not unless someone hacks my Mac erases ll my other browsers and I have no other way to the web. Even then I am not so sure.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I use Omniweb and IE about equally,but when Omniweb is finished it will be Omniweb only.

By the way,IE has just as many problems rendering sites as OmniWeb,just on different sites.I think at this part IE is a little faster than OW,but I don't agree with the attitude a lot of people who think that Omniweb is beautiful but technically inferior.Many of the problems with websites are caused by the facts that numerous hacks are necessary to get them to display in IE,which makes it difficult for other browsers to properly display said sites.[/LIST]

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Rick1138 ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 40
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I usually use IE, but OminiWeb is great.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    I think there's only one thing to say: opinions vary...

I guess I'm going to check Omniweb along with IE and mozilla, but rigth now I just can't wait for my Powerbook
  • Reply 12 of 40
    If you have a lot of RAM then USE it. I have 5 browsers open at all times.

1. OmniWeb. I do most of my surfing with this.

2. Opera. 2nd in command.

3. iCab. Always ready.

4. Internet Explorer. It ain't that bad you know.

5. Mozilla. When you absolutely positively need 50 windows open in a browser, this one has the tabs to do it with!
  • Reply 13 of 40
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    NDPTAL85 , what's the point of having them all open at the same time?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I need my sh!t to work, so IE's my poison of choice. Occasional crashing is fine by me, as long as browsing the sites work without any fuss. Just hate that Flash is so slow and that some Aqua-elements look messed up. Like the menus aren't truly customized, even if they are set to a color & font by the page it's still a regular Aqua menu with Lucida sans when you open them, and that checkboxes and radiobuttons aren't properly masked on some layouts or background colours.

Other than that, it works just fine for me.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    There are no good browsers for Mac OS X.

Omniweb is, by far, the best looking, but it's slow and incompatible and the latests builds are extremely buggy (sp 25 & 26 are very very bad, makes Explorer look like a refined piece of software - that bad!!)

Internet explorer 5.1. is a total piece of crap, but it can display some pages Omniweb can't.

Browsing sucks on Mac OS X. I sure hope it improves soon!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 40
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Going from Omniweb to IE is like dating Cindy Crawford and dumping her for Rosie.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by Power Apple:

<strong>There are no good browsers for Mac OS X.

Omniweb is, by far, the best looking, but it's slow and incompatible and the latests builds are extremely buggy (sp 25 & 26 are very very bad, makes Explorer look like a refined piece of software - that bad!!)

Internet explorer 5.1. is a total piece of crap, but it can display some pages Omniweb can't.

Browsing sucks on Mac OS X. I sure hope it improves soon!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shut up before you remove all doubts that you are stupid.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Kim Kap Sol, you are mean! Please tell us something about the plastics used in the new iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>

Shut up before you remove all doubts that you are stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A good browser should be:

fast, stable, with very few bugs (no application will ever be 100% bug-free), compatible with most web pages (including java, java-script, css etc. etc.) and have a good looking and intuitive UI.

Tell me,honestly, if there is any browser available today on Mac OS X that lives up to these standards? I don't think there is!

So, kim, take your unintelligent knee-jerk comments elsewhere. Unless it makes you feel good being an idiot...

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Kim Kap Sol, you are mean! Please tell us something about the plastics used in the new iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'm building plastics now.