iPhone gaming rocks!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I can't believe there is so many iPhone games, this was way better than I expected, I really do think the iPhone will soon rival the PSP and DS. One thing am I sick of is all those puzzle and racing games 8\\.

I did find a good list of awesome games, Aurora feint, tap tap revenge, chopper, aqua forest, I've only tried aurora and tap tap since those are free, but I bet the other two are great too. Just check out the videos, I can't explain these games very well but they are cool!

http://osxreality.com/2008/07/13/4-m...phone-games-2/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Class!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I have done hundreds of hours of gaming on Palms. The gaming experience on the iPhone is worlds apart.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Yea, the iPhone is like the Wii of mobile gaming 8)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I play Trism right now and it sucks the juice out of my battery. Maybe it's just not coded well but if other games do the same things gaming in the iPhone will be with a cord attached for many of us.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ironcell View Post

Yea, the iPhone is like the Wii of mobile gaming 8)

No, the Wii of mobile gaming would be the DS. iPhone is marginal.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ap780ap780 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

No, the Wii of mobile gaming would be the DS. iPhone is marginal.

The ds is purpose built for games stupid... I think he means it's the wii of mobile phone/pocket pc gaming... And I agree it's so fun especially cube runner
  • Reply 7 of 14
    The iPhone is an interesting gaming platform, but it just doesn't work well for some genres that are better with a directional pad. It will be interesting if a game pad adapter ever hits the market. Something like this:

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

That said, I have Trism, Enigmo, Cubic Man, and Texsas Hold Em and all are very good.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I know you guys will laugh, but I"ve been secretly wishing for an iphone game developer to make a good old fashion RTS game for the iPhone.

I've seen RTS games on cellphones with 1.8" screens using the directional pad. Which was horrible of course, but just imagine for a moment, you could actually pull off a good RTS game on the iPHone just b/c of it's touch screen, it's the next closest thing we have to a mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ironcell View Post

I know you guys will laugh, but I"ve been secretly wishing for an iphone game developer to make a good old fashion RTS game for the iPhone.

I've seen RTS games on cellphones with 1.8" screens using the directional pad. Which was horrible of course, but just imagine for a moment, you could actually pull off a good RTS game on the iPHone just b/c of it's touch screen, it's the next closest thing we have to a mouse.

Old fashioned RTS games have some of the most insane input requirements across all gaming genres. That's why there still are no successful RTSs on consoles, while e.g. FPSs played with gamepad have become mainstream. There's just no way it can be done on iPhone.

What would really fit the iPhone best is turn-based tactics, turn-based strategy, sims, classic point-and-click adventure, puzzle, RPG, and games with suitable unique control schemes like Super Monkey Ball. I think the closest to your wish (traditional RTS) that could still work on iPhone is real time tactics with a combination of very low unit count and low speed. Like something between Myth and Close Combat.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    iryeirye Posts: 8member
    I'm not sure if the 3G iPhone resolved this or what, but on my iPod touch it doesn't feel like the accelerometer is accurate enough to play a game. Like on Super Monkey Ball - if my iPod is flat on a table it will fall backwards. Or the other day on the plane. Our plane turned and Mr. SuperMonkey did a "FALL OUT!". It's too sensitive in some ways and not sensitive enough in others. There doesn't seem to be a way to stop the monkey. It can be irritating.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    [QUOTE=iRye;1282232]There doesn't seem to be a way to stop the monkey./QUOTE]

Quote of the day!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Here's a turn based war strategy game available in the jailbreak scene:

http://www.agilemobile.com/ipafscreens.html

I suspect it's a matter of time before this is in the app store.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRye View Post

... Like on Super Monkey Ball - if my iPod is flat on a table it will fall backwards.

Obviously they put an off set tilt on the control. It coded so that when you sit and hold it in front of you so you can see it ... it's neutral.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRye View Post

Or the other day on the plane. Our plane turned and Mr. SuperMonkey did a "FALL OUT!". It's too sensitive in some ways and not sensitive enough in others. There doesn't seem to be a way to stop the monkey. It can be irritating.

SMB is irritating. It's fun the way it is but I wish it had a gravity slider to calm it down a little.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    The current games are about what I expected. Very good to good games across the board

I do expect in the next year to see developers really take a step forward with games and start to see excellent graphics and gameplay with future games

Apple may need to upgrade the hardware though for the next iPhone to keep up with such graphics