AIM Issues On iphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The most important app for me is AIM... Since I DLed it (day 1), I have yet to get it to work...

Can you guys chime in if you are having the same issues or know how to resolve them...

1) The app randomly crashes on me and kicks me out.

2) I can not figure out how to get my preexisting Buddy List to appear and save.

3) Does the app close automatically when you try to perform any other function?

Your help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    drevildrevil Posts: 24member
    I have yet to get AIM to work for any length of time. It's a horribly done app--definitely should have been labeled beta or something to let us know that it would suck hardcore.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gsusgsus Posts: 4member
    Thanks... Misery loves company...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsus View Post

The most important app for me is AIM... Since I DLed it (day 1), I have yet to get it to work...

Can you guys chime in if you are having the same issues or know how to resolve them...

1) The app randomly crashes on me and kicks me out.

2) I can not figure out how to get my preexisting Buddy List to appear and save.

3) Does the app close automatically when you try to perform any other function?

Your help would be greatly appreciated...

1. I haven't experienced that, but I've only used it for about 5 minutes.

2. My pre-existing BL magically appeared on the phone when I first logged into AIM.

3. Yes, that's a requirement of all Apps on the iPhone... no running in the background. Apple's rule. Probably has something to do with performance (multiple apps running would bog it down) and battery life (forget to really close an App and the processor runs at full tilt till the battery dies.)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I have only had AIM crash once, on the first day. I use it every day. The set up was easy. Have you tried reinstalling/restoring? Maybe it will take and update to solve the problems.

Good Luck,

Steve
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gsusgsus Posts: 4member
    I reinstalled it once... still to to no avail... Hope to get it to work soon... thanks
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    AI should start a thread "apps that are duds"

i got "where to"

and

" i want"

both duds,

i'm only given minimal info, not complete, i'd just as well use google maps, search just like i use on my MB

google needs to make a simple separate app for "whats around me"

i wonder how much "fluff" is in the apps store

i'm not buying one till review sites give the OK

adium--where are you???
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I haven't had a single problem with AIM. I actually had to RESTORE my brand new iPhone 3G because I was trying to have iTunes multi-task by Syncing my new 3G iPhone while I was activating my 1st gen iPhone for the GF. After that it kept giving me an error. So I restored and all is fine.

Only Safari and Solitaire have crashed on me and thats only happened maybe twice each.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I just had a MAJOR crash - ant it happened just as I tapped the AIM icon. While it *is* possible that it's coincidental, I tend to think it was caused by AIM since it's been "buggy" since day-1.

When I say "MAJOR" crash... I mean unrecoverable. When I initiated a reboot - it stayed on the silver Apple logo for about 5-minutes. I then tried holding down both buttons again to force a reboot... same, it hung on the silver Apple for several minutes.

I then tried the "longer" hold-down process where it tries to reboot, and then powers-down... then tried booting from that point... same thing, so I let it "sit" on that screen for almost 10-minutes. Nothing. By the time I had gotten home, I was without ANY phone/OS on the unit for about 1/2 hour (good thing I wasn't stranded road-side, eh...?

So, I got home and plugged it into iTunes.

Nothing. Unrecognized.

I then did the recommended "15-second reboot button press" while the iPhone was tethered w/ the USB cord which forced the unit into recovery mode and showed the icon of the USB plug facing the iTunes icon.

iTunes then finally told me it had an iPhone connected that was in recovery mode - do I want to initialize it or restore from a backup.

As I type this, I am roughly 95% through the restore process and I "assume" that it will be back to how it was as-of my last backup.

If this happens again with AIM... I'm gonna be pi**ed-off royally. Let's just hope it was/is a fluke.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I gave up on the AIM today actually

Crashes every so often and really is not what I expected anyway