• Reply 2421 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

With a typical 7mb ADSL line....

typical? TYPICAL!!!?

TYPICAL!!!!!

• Reply 2422 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Don't know about the UK, but 7MBps is a typical internet connection in major cities on this side of the pond now.
  • Reply 2423 of 2639
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Try hitting menu.

"That operation is not supported"

C.
  • Reply 2424 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

typical? TYPICAL!!!?

TYPICAL!!!!!

Sorry, I don't get the joke.

7mb is glacial in Japan, slow in Europe. Average in the UK.

What's your speed Walter?

C.
  • Reply 2425 of 2639
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

typical? TYPICAL!!!?

TYPICAL!!!!!

Globally, I bet 7mb is a good average (if not a little low). Here in the US, I would bet it is closer to 3mb. Cables lowest speed seems to be around 6mb, and FIOS lowest is 10mb. DSL is the low hanging fruit with 1.5mb. So I think that while 7mb may not be typical here in the US, it is obtainable if one wants to pay for it. Of the three places I have lived at over the last 6 years (all in the US), I have had 8mb cable ($55/month), 6mb DSL ($34/month), and now 10mb fiber ($55/month).
  • Reply 2426 of 2639
    Quote:

Sorry, I don't get the joke.

7mb is glacial in Japan, slow in Europe. Average in the UK.

What's your speed Walter?

C.

cant find the link I read a few weeks back, which talked about the fact that there were more people with broadband in outside the cities (yeah, weird isnt it) in the UK.

but This from the BBC is a list of "average" users in the UK, and barring the student/university access, there is little above 6, with an occasional 8.

lots of 1s and lower and a fair number of 2s (no, please don't make the joke )

mine, I'm sitting at a spotty 1 on a good day if the conditions are right.

I don't think of myself as average, but given the complaining on the above link, maybe I actually am.

The Register has This story clocking the UK average at 1.92337164 mbps admittedly only from a survey of 1000 but then that IS 999 more than me on my own.

and a quick spot of googling gets this story from the guardian Saying 3mbps is the UK average.

neither of those is anywhere near 7 now, is it? so 7 would hardly appear to be "average"

world wide, and yeah Japan will skew it upwards, but then lets add in africa, and that will skew it a whole load of downwards again.

what are people willing to pay? in the UK it seems "as little as possible" which probably contributes to the low speeds.

as for me, I have little complaint yet, but some days, it ticks me off, its the price one pays living so far from the exchange, but I dream of the day when 2mbps is the LEAST I can expect.
  • Reply 2427 of 2639
    Quote:

cant find the link I read a few weeks back, which talked about the fact that there were more people with broadband in outside the cities (yeah, weird isnt it) in the UK.

There are people paying for broadband and getting crap. I pay for 8mb. And I get 7mb. But I do pay quite a high price.

I suspect that in a year's time. These speeds will double. So I guess even you Walter will be able to download a movie in less time than it takes to play it. In other words, at streaming speed.

That's kind of my point. As soon as you get to that speed. Downloading movies (even HD movies) becomes virtually instant.

SO back to WaxCyl....

Movies to me are really just data files. The very idea of collection of files in a physical pile of disks is very silly and old fashioned. For the same price as a BluRay player, you can buy a Drobo.

C.
  • Reply 2428 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Batman Begins is a very strong film. I think Heath Ledger just set the standard for The Joker. I think Nicholson will always be the favorite Joker for the "comic book" versions of Batman. Ledger will be the high water mark for the "graphic novel" version of Batman.

You are aware that "graphic novel" is just a glorified way of saying "comic book" right?
  • Reply 2429 of 2639
    Quote:

You are aware that "graphic novel" is just a glorified way of saying "comic book" right?

Zing!
  • Reply 2430 of 2639
    Quote:

There are people paying for boradband and getting crap. I pay for 8mb. And I get 7mb. But I do pay quite a high price.

I suspect that in a year's time. These speeds will double. So I guess even you Walter will be able to download a movie in less time than it takes to play it. In other words, at streaming speed.

That's kind of my point. As soon as you get to that speed. Downloading movies (even HD movies) becomes virtually instant.

SO back to WaxCyl....

Movies to me are really just data files. The very idea of collection of files in a physical pile of disks is very silly and old fashioned. For the same price as a BluRay player, you can buy a Drobo.

C.

mm.. I was gonna chop the end of that off, but actually I'm looking at a Drobo some time in the next 6 months

one thing though, can you quit with the wax cylinder attitude, I mean if you don't believe in the tech. at least do the rest of us that do a favour and stay away from the topic. its almost like posting here how vista is great in every post.

you get 7mb, BUT you pay for it, now on top of your rental fee how does/would your movie viewing cost you in comparison to discs in the post?

you get 7mb, so if that drops to 5 or 3 even, you are likely still in good shape to stream SD and likely even HD. but you have missed my point, the AVERAGE user in the UK is getting 3 at the top end of the scale, now if they are paying a minimum fee for that access, it it also likely they have other demands on their money, say a family to support, and it doesn't take too many people using a connection to start splitting the bandwidth into an unusable (for streaming) state if it STARTS off at 3mb.

will it double in a years time? well it wouldn't be something I'd bet on, moores law doesnt work on BB speeds I'm afraid lovely if it happens.

we need the biggest percentage of people possible to have "at least HD download/streaming speed broadband" before this will take off as the "next thing", I'm convinced it WILL take off eventually.

in the mean time, BD is filling in nicely. I was in (the chain store) Currys the other day (not a normal occurrence) and two things struck me 1. they had a VHS/DVD/Blu ray comparison running on a few of the large screens. it really has taken a while to get this far!

and 2. between that and the second record shop closing down, where is all the advertising to the average consumer going to be for streaming? there were some BDs in the record shop, there were some BDs in the local Game, there were some BDs in Currys, and some in Wellworths (didnt go into Asda or Tescos).. all a persistent forma of advertising to joe public.

Were are the equivalent ads for Apple TV? I havent seen any banner ads, in fact the only place you will see it is on Apples own site, and even then its hardly on the main page. Much as I like my Apple TV (about 45 days worth of movies and TV shows ripped) I don't see it getting much love from Apple in terms of advertising.
  • Reply 2431 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Cringley's latest piece is about the immediate future on broadband and DTV.

While it's not directly related to Movie downloading, it's a very interesting read.
  • Reply 2432 of 2639
    Quote:

mm.. I was gonna chop the end of that off, but actually I'm looking at a Drobo some time in the next 6 months

one thing though, can you quit with the wax cylinder attitude, I mean if you don't believe in the tech. at least do the rest of us that do a favour and stay away from the topic. its almost like posting here how vista is great in every post.

Sorry about the Wax-Cyl thing. It is kind of glib. But this thread has turned into BluRay versus digital - instead of BluRay verus HDDVD.

It's just that I really started to hate DVDs. It's become a sort of quest. I'll explain why.

Don't get me wrong. I own hundreds of DVDs. I have about equal numbers of Region 1 and Region 2 disks. And that's where my hatred started to grown.

It was when my hardware stopped me watching films that I had actually paid for. That made me mad. Really quite annoyed. And I wanted revenge on the people that had imposed this on me.

The second thing was the stupid menus and non-skippable lectures on piracy. If you have ever rented from Lovefilm, you'll know the drill. For Americans out there, Lovefilm is the UKs version of Netflix. All the rental disks have been remastered to include antipiracy lectures that look a lot like this. (But not as funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyoFVGvks4

And third reason was my epiphany that all movies were either "renters" or "keepers"

Keepers are totally worth 20 quid. You watch them again and again. They become a part of your life.

But renters are the ones you watch once, and know you'll never ever watch again. If you spend £10 on a renter. It's £10 wasted. Watch once and forget. The right price is 2-4 quid. Based on the quality and the newness.

The people pushing blu-ray want us to re-buy our DVD collection. They want region-locking. They want the freedom to pimp up the disk with some interactive crap. They want industrial strength DRM. They certainly don't want me putting stuff I bought on a Drobo or an iPod.

What I want is a file. Just the file. I just want to watch the goddamn movie. I want to watch it in Europe *and* the US. I want to watch it on TV and on my iPod. And if it's a keeper. I'll pay for the extras, I'll pay for the directors commentary. I'll relish every frigging pixel.

But if it is a renter. Then just no! No effing way am I paying 24 quid up front for a movie that I will watch only once. My disillusionment with blu-ray is that they seem to be saying that every movie is a keeper.

And you know that isn't really tru, Ray.

C.
  • Reply 2433 of 2639
    IN DEMAND is a segue to the cable companies having their own digital distribution system for the studios. I watch it all the time. It's free if you already have the channels. Apple, Microsoft, and Sony are going to get cut out because it's going to be so much cleaner, and cheaper to do all this straight from your cable box. Apple had a chance to buy Scientific Atlanta, one of the biggest, and best box manufacturers and let it go. At least they could have made the box, and then with their foot in the door they could have software updated the units to have iTunes delivery straight into the living room. I think they all shot themselves in the foot.
  • Reply 2434 of 2639
    Quote:

Sorry about the Wax-Cyl thing. It is kind of glib. But this thread has turned into BluRay versus digital - instead of BluRay verus HDDVD.

It's just that I really started to hate DVDs. It's become a sort of quest. I'll explain why.

Don't get me wrong. I own hundreds of DVDs. I have about equal numbers of Region 1 and Region 2 disks. And that's where my hatred started to grown.

It was when my hardware stopped me watching films that I had actually paid for. That made me mad. Really quite annoyed. And I wanted revenge on the people that had imposed this on me.

The second thing was the stupid menus and non-skippable lectures on piracy. If you have ever rented from Lovefilm, you'll know the drill. For Americans out there, Lovefilm is the UKs version of Netflix. All the rental disks have been remastered to include antipiracy lectures that look a lot like this. (But not as funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyoFVGvks4

And third reason was my epiphany that all movies were either "renters" or "keepers"

Keepers are totally worth 20 quid. You watch them again and again. They become a part of your life.

But renters are the ones you watch once, and know you'll never ever watch again. If you spend £10 on a renter. It's £10 wasted. Watch once and forget. The right price is 2-4 quid. Based on the quality and the newness.

The people pushing blu-ray want us to re-buy our DVD collection. They want region-locking. They want the freedom to pimp up the disk with some interactive crap. They want industrial strength DRM. They certainly don't want me putting stuff I bought on a Drobo or an iPod.

What I want is a file. Just the file. I just want to watch the goddamn movie. I want to watch it in Europe *and* the US. I want to watch it on TV and on my iPod. And if it's a keeper. I'll pay for the extras, I'll pay for the directors commentary. I'll relish every frigging pixel.

But if it is a renter. Then just no! No effing way am I paying 24 quid up front for a movie that I will watch only once. My disillusionment with blu-ray is that they seem to be saying that every movie is a keeper.

C.

the wax cyl thing I get, but with the fanboyism from certain posters on, lets face it, off topic bollox... ahh.. no probs

I agree with the anti piracy thing, I've been there shouting at the telly "I bought you you FUKK!" etc. but recently I've mellowed, stick the disc in a moment or two earlier, pour a cuppa and then sit down.

equally, I'm there on the file bit, watching a lot of stuff on my iPod and AppleTV, click - film/programme starts - happy viewer. but thats minus all the ripping hassle!

then you sit down to watch a BD disc at 1080p and your eyes just don't know whats happened to them the image is SO sharp compared to a rip, compared to SD-DVD. Is it worth the expense? mmm hell yeah, if its a keeper.

Currently looking at ebaying a boat load of "renters" I bought and admittedly, watched at least twice! recording film four (for volume) or BBC (for better quality) and then spending a few minutes in MpegStreamclip to chop out the ads/top and tail knock a few of those out and then leave to batch process over night.. why rent again?

When there are actually iPod versions included ON a BD disc, or even links to a free iPod version on SD-DVDs on EVERY disc, then us "not wanting to invest in a possibly intermediate format" types will put our money more readily where the studios want us to

In the mean time its either buy both and rip the SD or buy the BD rent the SD and rip it. or go on the interwebs and nab a rip from the lime/torrents.

or just get the SD, or just get the BD.

or go for the Apple sanctioned version.... and I'm not so inclined to go there JUST yet, unless as you say, its for a renter, which I must confess I haven't ventured as far as doing yet.

still havent bought 2001 (again) on BD, but film fours Kubrick season has made it almost an impulse buy, except I have things to do, and I KNOW I'd sit and watch it twice at least!

got the toys, now need to find more time to play with them
  • Reply 2435 of 2639
    Quote:

C.

I don't know if getting a blu ray to your iPod is going to be that difficult. They started selling DVD's with a second DVD called a digital copy disk

The second disk has a Digital transfer for your iPod, or computer that you can load in just few minutes. Being that DVD and Blu Ray are essentially being pushed by the same people I don't see why, with all that space, that a Blu Ray disk couldn't also contain a digital copy on it. Obviously there isn't one on there now but once DVD starts going the way of the do do bird, I'm sure there will be a demand for it. There probably is already discussion about it internally.
  • Reply 2436 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Cringley's latest piece is about the immediate future on broadband and DTV.

While it's not directly related to Movie downloading, it's a very interesting read.

Thought most of that was fair comment and, all things being equal, it may well come to pass.

then (I think) the second commenter said the following

Quote:

I've got this theory that once the DTV conversion happens on Feb 2009, the electronics industry will find that demand for their new televisions will plummet. This is an eerie echo of the demand for IT upgrades/support heading into the Millenium Bug countdown. A couple of months after Jan 2000 hit, the dot com and IT market took a downturn. The consumer electronics market will probably do the same thing, given that it's being propped up by the need to either get a converter box or a new television. If the consumer electronics market takes a huge hit, then a lot of these cool new ideas will sit on the back burner due to a lack of money.

Which is a BIT short sighted given the prospect of looking into the future, but then if enough people think that way, that is what will happen.

perhaps some skating to where the puck WILL be is in order, rather than worry about the impact of today ONLY, yes keep it in consideration, but lets not have it cloud our plans completely.
  • Reply 2437 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Well, only an idiot wouldn't appreciate the nuanced differences between the two. But, oh well. Snark away.
  • Reply 2438 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Well, only an idiot wouldn't appreciate the nuanced differences between the two. But, oh well. Snark away.

Call me all the names you like, but there no subtle difference between a comic book, and a graphic novel. They are exactly the same thing.
  • Reply 2439 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Uh huh. Sure.

I guess that's why the industry decided to differentiate the two by, you know, creating a completely different category...hence, "graphic novel." But whatev. Your opinion is superior.
  • Reply 2440 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    [soundwave]onlooker superior. Northgate inferior.[/soundwave]

Aren't you both right? Isn't a graphic novel a specific sub-category of comic book.