iPhone WI-FI configuration @ Villanova

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that with the 2.0 update, I can now use my iPhone to connect to the private network here at Villanova using my school name/password. I've linked the wireless configuration page for macs below and was wondering if i indeed can connect, how the setup would translate onto the iphone. Thanks in advance!

-Craig

http://www.villanova.edu/unit/support/wireless/mac.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I've heard the same thing at my institution, the University of Illinois at Chicago. Just like at Villanova (as I see on your linked page), UIC uses an 802.1X configuration. When I go to manually setup the network on my iPhone, I see no such option. For luck, I tried the WPA & WPA2 Enterprise options, which got the iPhone to recognize the root certificate, and asked me to accept the certificate, but from there would not connect. Does anyone know if 802.1X is supported on the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Just found this, from the iPhone 2.0 announcement:

"The addition of WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication enables enterprise customers to deploy iPhone and iPod touch with the latest standards for protection of Wi-Fi networks."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=iphone+802.1X

So does this mean if your network is 802.1X that you should choose WPA2?

For setting up this network, you will need to be in the area where you can access the wifi signal. Go to "Settings" on you iPhone, then "Wi-Fi". Under "Choose a Network" your network will probably not appear if it is 802.1X. Touch "Other" and manually type in the name of Villanova's wifi network EXACTLY. Here's the rub: under "Security" it will ask you the type of network. There is no 802.1X config, but if I read above correctly, WPA2 Enterprise is the same?? Touch that.

After I did that, I got recognition of the authentication certificate and a button saying "Accept" which I did. After that, I got the cog and message saying "Joining UIC-Wireless...", but it just kept going, never joined. Try that and see if you get better results.

With the endless spiral, I hit cancel, and then went to the manual setup again for this network, and turned on "Authentication" and added my username and password. This time a popup bubble said "Unable to join..." So no luck for me. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I followed your steps to the point where it asked me if I wanted to install the certificate. I told it to accept the certificate, but after hitting the accept button, nothing. It didn't lock up, it just removed the accept button upon selection and did nothing. Is this a bug?? Has anyone else had success in a similar setup?

-Craig
  • Reply 4 of 11
    userblahuserblah Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

Just found this, from the iPhone 2.0 announcement:

"The addition of WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication enables enterprise customers to deploy iPhone and iPod touch with the latest standards for protection of Wi-Fi networks."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=iphone+802.1X

So does this mean if your network is 802.1X that you should choose WPA2?

For setting up this network, you will need to be in the area where you can access the wifi signal. Go to "Settings" on you iPhone, then "Wi-Fi". Under "Choose a Network" your network will probably not appear if it is 802.1X. Touch "Other" and manually type in the name of Villanova's wifi network EXACTLY. Here's the rub: under "Security" it will ask you the type of network. There is no 802.1X config, but if I read above correctly, WPA2 Enterprise is the same?? Touch that.

After I did that, I got recognition of the authentication certificate and a button saying "Accept" which I did. After that, I got the cog and message saying "Joining UIC-Wireless...", but it just kept going, never joined. Try that and see if you get better results.

With the endless spiral, I hit cancel, and then went to the manual setup again for this network, and turned on "Authentication" and added my username and password. This time a popup bubble said "Unable to join..." So no luck for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in the same situation as you. I go to UIC also. I know you have to use the iPhone utility configuration utility. I've configured it to be what I believe it should be. I get to the point where I join the network, enter my netid and password and verify the certificate and a check mark is placed next to the uic-wireless network but I never actually get on wireless. It is hanging somewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userblah View Post

I'm in the same situation as you. I go to UIC also. I know you have to use the iPhone utility configuration utility. I've configured it to be what I believe it should be. I get to the point where I join the network, enter my netid and password and verify the certificate and a check mark is placed next to the uic-wireless network but I never actually get on wireless. It is hanging somewhere.

Wow, this whole thing is more complicated than I thought, but here's what you have to do to connect to an 802.1X network. These instructions are incomplete because the settings will depend on your own network.

1) Download the iPhone Configuration Utility to your computer from here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

2) Setup a new profile by clicking on "Configuration Profiles" on the left pane then clicking "New"

3) Name the network under the "General" tab

4) Under the "WiFi" tab, you need to put in your network SSID, security type, protocols etc. You can try to get this information from you computer's setup for this network if you have it. Otherwise you might need to talk to your IT people.

5) Under the "Credentials" tab, you have to add your network's certificates. You cannot find them for some reason unless you drag them from you keychain and copy to you desktop (do a spotlight search for "keychain" to find this folder). After you add the certificate(s), go back to "WiFi", go down and click the "Trust" button. You should see the certificate, check the box.

6) Okay, here's the weird part. Once you've created the profile properly, e-mail it (or post it on a server with a proper MIME type) and open the profile attachment on your iPhone to install it. From there you should be able to connect.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I'm not a techie at all but is this really the easiest way for the iphone to connect to these types of networks? It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. Not that connecting to the network via computer is extremely easy for the average user, but it'd be nice to more closely match that degree of difficulty than this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigciccone View Post

I'm not a techie at all but is this really the easiest way for the iphone to connect to these types of networks? It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. Not that connecting to the network via computer is extremely easy for the average user, but it'd be nice to more closely match that degree of difficulty than this.

I'm in agreement Craig. I'm not sure why they simply don't put an 802.1X option on the security menu, where you can enter all relevant data, approve certificate, and that's it. I'm not very techie either, so it may be a limitation that I'm unaware of. But according to the Mac User group at UIC, this is the only way. It's actually not as complex as it sounds, but more complex than we're used to with Apple products. Someone at UIC emailed me the profile for our network so that I didn't have to figure out the settings, but I still had to download the Config utility and then email the profile to the iPhone as an attachment. I haven't tried it yet, will try tomorrow at work.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    userblahuserblah Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post

Wow, this whole thing is more complicated than I thought, but here's what you have to do to connect to an 802.1X network. These instructions are incomplete because the settings will depend on your own network.

1) Download the iPhone Configuration Utility to your computer from here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

2) Setup a new profile by clicking on "Configuration Profiles" on the left pane then clicking "New"

3) Name the network under the "General" tab

4) Under the "WiFi" tab, you need to put in your network SSID, security type, protocols etc. You can try to get this information from you computer's setup for this network if you have it. Otherwise you might need to talk to your IT people.

5) Under the "Credentials" tab, you have to add your network's certificates. You cannot find them for some reason unless you drag them from you keychain and copy to you desktop (do a spotlight search for "keychain" to find this folder). After you add the certificate(s), go back to "WiFi", go down and click the "Trust" button. You should see the certificate, check the box.

6) Okay, here's the weird part. Once you've created the profile properly, e-mail it (or post it on a server with a proper MIME type) and open the profile attachment on your iPhone to install it. From there you should be able to connect.

Do you think you can email me the UIC-Wireless profile? I private messaged you my email.

Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Did you ever get this working Craig? I'm trying to get on the wireless at Villanova as well. I've been messing around with using the configuration utility and emailing the file to my phone. I can get it to connect and get an IP address, but it constantly drops and reconnects the connection. Its not even stable enough to load a web page. I'm using PEAP authentication because I think that's what the wireless recently switched to from TTLS.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dauclair,

I'm also at Villanova trying to get the iPhone to work with our PEAP network. I don't understand why it keeps getting an invalid IP address.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ralfan01 View Post

dauclair,

I'm also at Villanova trying to get the iPhone to work with our PEAP network. I don't understand why it keeps getting an invalid IP address.

yep i was getting as far as getting a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address instead of a 153.104.xxx.xxx address. not sure what the issue is, let me know if there is any progress on this.