iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless

Comments

• Reply 141 of 187
    So the iPhone I ordered from AT&T (white 16 GB) arrived the other day, about a week and a half sooner than they guessed it would take (only ordered it three or four days ago).

AT&T

My experience with AT&T was okay except whenever I got on the phone. Their overseas support is uneducated, dense, and you cannot understand them. They can't transfer you to the United States. Attempts to call the AT&T store resulted in them placing me on hold without any music and without being notified that I was placed on hold. AT&T only lets the phone ring for about five rings before routing you back to a menu prompt. What a terrible way to run a company.

In the store a representative takes your name and instead of helping whoever is around they go down the list and help people in the order they arrived. That, at least, really eases up the visit, because they were quite busy both times I went there (especially on the weekend). After I ordered the phone the representative gave me his personal card and said he would be my contact there. He called me personally when the phone arrived from his cell phone. That was a nice way to circumvent the horrible mess that is their phone system. Activation was painless.

iPhone Screen

I took my new iPhone home expecting to do battle with some bugs. First, the screen -- it is much better than the 2G's. I would not describe it as yellow at all -- it is simply warmer. The white-point on the 2G was set way too far in the blue area, something which may very well have been done to make it more attractive to people on a shelf. People are initially attracted to very bright screens and this has affected the sales of televisions, computers, and most other devices with screens. Apple did the right thing here. It seems perfect.

iPhone Camera

It takes just a little bit longer to open the 'shutter' as people have said -- but nowhere near six seconds. I don't know if this is because people are having problems with their software or if it is because they can't count seconds very well (I've noticed people tend not to be good at this, at any rate). It opens consistently between two and two-and-a-half seconds. This is the sort of thing I imagine Apple will improve with an update but it does not bother me.

Contacts List

I have a really long contacts list. It takes between half a second and one second, at worst, to open. Again, just a little slower than the 2G, but not slow enough to bother me. People are whining about it so I'm sure Apple will be looking into it.

Battery Life

It is still early to tell, but it has been respectable given what I've been doing. I've been going nuts with Pandora, games, and other services, and my phone has been on far more often than it usually is. I depleted my battery in a bit less than a day doing this (though it was from the charge out of the box). That is to say it endured my abuse from 12 to 2 AM. If it can take what I was doing in good swing (more than a solid eight hours of apps, talking, internet, and streamed music) it will probably hold up well when I start using it normally. 3G does eat more battery life, as is to be expected, but it seems Apple has given us good options to manage it. I agree with someone who mentioned earlier that it would be nice to have activity-relative management of 3G and faster access to the 3G toggle.

Appearance and Form

I was originally going to get the black iPhone until I saw it in the store. It collects fingerprints like... well... a shiny black plastic thing. And the extensive use of black does make it seem a little more generic. The white iPhone, by contrast, really has a pretty appearance to it, doesn't show fingerprints, and the way in which the screen stands out against the surrounding glass on the front is quite attractive. I think it looks wonderful.

It feels marvelous in your hands! I liked the 2G design but as someone who used it in a slip-in case, rather than with some kind of shell you put over the back, I was faced with using the iPhone without a cover once removed. The metal was slick and it required a conscious effort while using it to avoid dropping the device. The plastic 3G is very easy to hold and the new form feels much more comfortable in your hands. The buttons also have improved tactile feedback, especially the power/active button at the top. The headphone port holds the headphone device much more snugly as well. The 3G is much lighter -- enough that you really notice it -- but still feels sufficiently substantial.

Internet

My experiences with 3G are in line with others'. It is faster and makes for a somewhat more pleasant experience. What matters most to me, though, is that pages load more reliably now (on any connection), and are much more responsive to scrolling. The 2G iPhones I had before were less responsive, especially while loading, and this could lead to somewhat more frustrating experience and accidentally clicking links. I would imagine this can be attributed to software improvements in 2.0 so 2G iPhone users will be able to enjoy these improvements as well (aside from 3G speeds, of course). I didn't upgrade my 2G from 1.1.4.

3G Signal

In my home the 3G signal is weaker than the 2G signal. It stays rather low, around a bar or so. The iPhone chooses to continue using this signal when 3G is enabled, though. I was concerned by this originally but unlike a 2G signal which becomes very unreliable at such a low level, my iPhone has consistently received, held, and communicated in this state (I spoke with family for around two and a half hours, doing different activities, just to get a feel for it). Audio quality was solid even with that signal. It held up similarly while I went out for a bike ride around town and had a pretty solid signal whenever I checked it. I live in the bay area, though, so I imagine the 3G network might be a bit more reliable in areas out here than it is in some others.

Stability

This phone has been like a rock so far. The OS has been perfectly reliable and responsive -- it has actually, so far, been more reliable than the 2G software was! This I was honestly not expecting. Aside from the very specific and minor slowdowns mentioned above, this really impresses me for such an evolved update. 2.0.1 will only bring better. Third-party apps, as one should expect, vary in quality. If an app looks to be of poor quality, or got lots of negative ratings for stability, I didn't bother with it though. I haven't yet had a third-party app crash on me (I've got about sixteen installed) but I have definitely noticed some inconsistent behavior. I doubt this has anything to do with the iPhone, though. Just new software!

App Store

What a treat! I never jailbroke my 2G (this critter is used for business and I don't like to take many chances when even an occasional slip-up could cost a lot of money) so this is new to me. Some of the games are delightful fun and many third-party apps are incredibly useful. Apple's implementation of the App Store in iTunes is great and the on-phone App Store is even better. Browsing, reading and purchasing is just one step above breathing in a difficulty scale (and I imagine this will reflect quite positively in profits and distribution shared by Apple and other developers). This is the sort of experience that sets Apple devices apart from everything else. I can spend money while using the toilet, now. This could be a bad thing for people who aren't responsible with money!

Final Note

For my whole life I hated cell phones. As a designer I've always been very frustrated with the terrible interfaces designed for these devices (looking at you, Motorola!) and the static make and release model (no updates, rare bug fixes). I hated the lock-down on things like music distribution and file sharing. I never got excited about phones. Apple changed all of that with the iPhone, doing things I only dreamed of before, and taking it to a whole new level I had never imagined. I feel in love with the iPhone as soon as I saw it in the keynote -- I had high expectations, and they were completely overshadowed. I have just fallen in love with the iPhone all over again. Thanks, Apple!
  • Reply 142 of 187
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I have heard lots of complaints. Hard to tell how pervasive the complaints are. Hard to tell how satisfied most users are.

I'm a Mac user but this is my first iPhone. After hearing the complaints I was expecting something really bad and I am pleasantly surprised.

I think the phone is awesome!

Reception is much better than I expected. May not be quite the best, but it seems better than average. I think people were expecting great 3G coverage where they don't have it.

Use as a phone it is very good. Calls sound loud and clear on both earpiece and speakerphone. The other party can always hear me well. The phone has a good ability to make and retain calls.

I love some of the apps that I've tried so far, including Truveo, Shazam, Pandora, VNC.

I can't get over the amazement at so much that can be done with such a small device.

Web surfing is amazing. Its leaps and bounds beyond what any other phone can do.

The only issues I've run across on the phone is the application stability. I have had most applications crash. But they don't usually crash very obtrusively. I can usually start them back close to where they were. I figure software issues will get quickly resolved over the coming weeks and months. So far I haven't had the overall phone crash.

Battery life can always be more, but I'm generally impressed. If you think of it more as a laptop, then the 5+ hours I seem to get constant surfing seems pretty good.
  • Reply 143 of 187
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Today I sent a test e-mail to my MobileMe account and it took 5 minutes to appear on me.com, though it was promptly pushed to my iPhone shortly afterwards. These problems are very reminiscent of the World of Warcraft launch where Blizzard was just taken aback by the demand to play the game.
  • Reply 144 of 187
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

3. Battery Life- I left the house yesterday at 6:30am with a fully charged iphone. I flew to a meeting in Las Vegas (1 hour flight) and by noon, my phone was already needing a recharge. Keep in mind, this was simply due to checking email (no Fetch was activated), no wifi searching, etc. THIS WAS NOT 5 hours of constant talk time, but simply having the phone "on".

Not that your battery should have been drained by this, but did you neglect to turn off your iPhone during takeoff and landing and neglect to set it to "airplane mode" while in the air? I can imagine the battery might be drained from the effort expended in trying to find a suitable cellular signal. Like I said, that alone shouldn't normally drain a battery quite so fast, but your situation might be one that Apple hasn't optimized for yet.
  • Reply 145 of 187
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    You know, I love Macs and hate Vista but am not a fan boy. e.g., the G4, Dual G5's were slouches compared to AMD or INTEL at the time, especially in the notebook realm.

That said, with all the jokes about MSFT and security, and why MSFT owns the Business world (EXCHANGE), Apple pulled push from the DEVICE portion (until fixed) or computers as its a sync not push. Now, Apple knows (with all the 3rd party apps) what it feels like to have to try and support all these 3rd party software developers.

Apple dropped the ball with Mobile Me, it was promoted as Exchange for the rest of us (not), the Apps crash (same problems as MSFT) and uses virus protection in their store computers in the BOH. I just find the whole situation ironic on how BIG they were making the launch of the iPhone, SDK, and MMe and if you think they ran out of iPhones, I have a bridge to sell you.

Apple couldn't take the heat, (Long lines) and almost every tech blog complaining about how silly the lines are (and with 88%+ being first time visitors) they removed the phones from the channels to break up the lines - they are so anti (afraid of negativity) if you do a search for episode 766 of CNET where they BASH the long lines, (it can be found on their website) but iTunes had it pulled.

In fact, they are acting like their typical NAZI selves, not allowing any negative press on their forums or iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes some great products (although it kills me on how they raped their product line (Macbook used to get 171% in Open GL so you could use motion) down to 70%, so no motion, and removed TEXAS INSTRUMENTS firewire in MACBOOK and iMAC as this causes instability with high end firewire devices (ask and I will post the link of a pro audio/video group) and all iMacs (albeit strong) are glossy, so no PRO graphic, photography work.

Anyway am off topic. The iphones are short not due to demand but due to Apple pulling them to cut down on the lines and the applications shows Apple just how hard it is to offer exchange and developing 3rd party applications.
  • Reply 146 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You know, I love Macs and hate Vista but am not a fan boy. e.g., the G4, Dual G5's were slouches compared to AMD or INTEL at the time, especially in the notebook realm.

That said, with all the jokes about MSFT and security, and why MSFT owns the Business world (EXCHANGE), Apple pulled push from the DEVICE portion (until fixed) or computers as its a sync not push. Now, Apple knows (with all the 3rd party apps) what it feels like to have to try and support all these 3rd party software developers.

Apple dropped the ball with Mobile Me, it was promoted as Exchange for the rest of us (not), the Apps crash (same problems as MSFT) and uses virus protection in their store computers in the BOH. I just find the whole situation ironic on how BIG they were making the launch of the iPhone, SDK, and MMe and if you think they ran out of iPhones, I have a bridge to sell you.

Apple couldn't take the heat, (Long lines) and almost every tech blog complaining about how silly the lines are (and with 88%+ being first time visitors) they removed the phones from the channels to break up the lines - they are so anti (afraid of negativity) if you do a search for episode 766 of CNET where they BASH the long lines, (it can be found on their website) but iTunes had it pulled.

In fact, they are acting like their typical NAZI selves, not allowing any negative press on their forums or iTunes.

Anyway am off topic. The iphones are short not due to demand but due to Apple pulling them to cut down on the lines and the applications shows Apple just how hard it is to offer exchange and developing 3rd party applications.

A lot of that either doesn't make sense or is incorrect...
    ? Apple is well aware of supporting 3rd-party development. They have been doing it for decades.

? Apple didn't pull Push from the "DEVICE portion", it hasn't been launched yet. The WWDC keynote clearly states September for 3rd-party Push support.

? Removing product will not make the lines go away, it will only increase the demand and keep people waiting even longer, which isn't good for business. You can order an iPhone now from AT&T and they will call you when it comes in.

? After an unusable Thurs?Sat (note: 3 days) start with MobileMe, it has worked flawlessly for email. calendar and contacts for syncing since. Pushing and web access. Me.com is now the best example of AJAX I have seen implemented.

? Apple isn't offering offering Exchange, but if you mean Push email it appears to be working for most people in the US. They are only 10 days into their first widespread attempt at it so hiccups are expected.

? I don't understand what you're getting at with "shows Apple just how hard it is to [develop] 3rd party applications". If you mean 3rd=party developers creating an apps for the iPhone or the App Store, this is the one area in which Apple really exceeded exceptions. We only 10 days into the official launch and there are around 600 apps, mostly free for the iPhone. IF you mean Apple themselves developers apps for other platforms, well iTunes is one of the most popular apps for Windows and the most popular app for organizing your music.
  • Reply 147 of 187
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A lot of that either doesn't make sense or is incorrect...
    ? iTunes is one of the most popular apps for Windows and the most popular app for organizing your music.

PS. Not sure if my last post went thru but iTunes is half of windows player.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0603/
  • Reply 148 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

PS. Not sure if my last post went thru but iTunes is half of windows player.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0603/

1) It's not fair to count an app that is bundled with an OS.

2) That report is over 2 years old.

3) I specifically stated organizing your music. Granted, Windows Explorer can be used but do we really think that is th preferred app for doing so?

PS: In your defense, iTunes is not as widely used as I thought. It only surpassed Real Player in February of this year.

PPS: To better state my point: "Despite a 15% increase in Windows sales worldwide WMP userbase remains stagnant or with a slight decline and Real's userbase is decreasing rapidly, while iTunes is showing excessive growth."
  • Reply 149 of 187
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The apps just crash within themselves and the phone goes back to the home screen. They don't cause any harm to the OS itself. You can try to relaunch the app or open a different app.

My 16GB black version also does this. It usually runs fine when first installed, then it crashes at later time. I've tried restoring the iphone 3G and it did help with response speed, but the 3rd party softwares still crashes after the initial use. Basically, every 3rd party softwares I've downloaded do this. I'll just wait for the iphone software update before reinstalling it again.

BTW, the battery life as a GPS, mostly on EDGE network, did last about good 5 hours. I was house hunting in the new area in MD, and iphone actually was more accurate than the Magellan Roadmate. New developments are always a headache for a GPS system, but I guess google map is more up to date than the 6 months old Magellan GPS.

At any rate, iphone 3g kicks arse, and it will be even more awesome once all the bugs are squashed. The orginal install of iphone 2.0 was much more sluggish and restoring did make it more responsive, weird, isn't it?
  • Reply 150 of 187
    chavaknchavakn Posts: 1member
    I have to completely agree with you, since the new update I have being so disappointed i wish I had the option to go back to the previous iphone OS, it worked like magic and was perfect. Now its so frustrating to use I dont even want to use it.

Im also a Mac fan and an early adopter, all that based on how reliable apple products always were, thats why we have high expectations of apple.

Its now whining its simply saying "whats up?" this is not up to the standards that they got us used to
  • Reply 151 of 187
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Pretty much all software is released with bugs. Why do you think they have updates. It's impossible to find everything. Often bugs cannot be found until it's in the wild and widely used.

Yeah right- and update it that fast? Try again. Even OS9 was never updated that fast.
  • Reply 152 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yeah right- and update it that fast? Try again. Even OS9 was never updated that fast.

I hope you aren't implying that frequent updates means that software is more buggy/unstable than software that isn't updated often.
  • Reply 153 of 187
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

How am I rewritting history? Yes the iMac was successful. My point is that at that point was also a stop gap until they could ship OS X. Apple could not have continued success with OS 9.

Sorry but wrong again- shifting to Intel is more of a reason for the success today and bridged the gap with Windows rather than OSX alone.
  • Reply 154 of 187
    Quote:

Sorry but wrong again- shifting to Intel is more of a reason for the success today and bridged the gap with Windows rather than OSX alone.

OS 9 was very outdated. There is no way Apple could have continued to 2008 with that aged foundation, but I agree that the shift to Intel has probably doen more for converting people to Macs than the OS has, but mainly because people are informed enough about how the underbelly on an OS works.

I do think the Apple Stores have done more for converting Macs than the iPod or the Intel switch. my reasoning is that it allowed people to see and test a Mac before buying which is important for getting converts.

Either way, we can debate which had more effect than the other and there is no way the debate will ever be definitively answered as there are just too many variables involved.

Diplomatically we can say that many factors have contributed to Apple's increased Mac growth.
  • Reply 155 of 187
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

My 16GB black version also does this. It usually runs fine when first installed, then it crashes at later time. I've tried restoring the iphone 3G and it did help with response speed, but the 3rd party softwares still crashes after the initial use. Basically, every 3rd party softwares I've downloaded do this. I'll just wait for the iphone software update before reinstalling it again.

Are you saying your restored the OS because the apps were crashing? In that case I don't believe it was the OS but the apps themselves. I've had to reinstall the Google app and Facebook app because of crashing. Haven't had problems since. The Facebook is now on 1.1, so they've likely made some improvements.
  • Reply 156 of 187
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

My intent wasn't to compare what has made Apple successful. I'm simply saying they could not have done it with OS 9.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Are you saying Apple cannot quickly release a firmware fix for the iPhone bugs?
  • Reply 157 of 187
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    I was baffeled by the unresponsivness of the screen in some cases but then i discovered that it just doesnt like my thumb. Its not like its not picking up my thumb but its the multitouch sensors that are programed to interpret a smaller area than my thumb.

I found out while trying that it didnt axcept my thumbpressing att all in some situations. But when i switched to my indexfinger i had no problems whatsoever!!!!!!!!!

I was really thinking before when trying to set an alarm and using my thumb i could use the hour-wheel but not the minute-wheel. When i switched to index i had no problems. This is when i began to understand what the problem was!!!!!
  • Reply 158 of 187
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Funny, I didn't realize my phone sucked until I read this thread. Waa waa waa.

We're all computer users, right? Most of us used OS X 1.0, right? You all know that these issues will be ironed out, so, I don't get the constant bitching (remember 10.1?). I mean, people are now replying to their own crap, just to pile on more drama.

I like my iPhone, listening to Pandora right now. Sure, there are issues, but I've been with Apple long enough to know that the problems will be resolved. Unlike other manufacturers who resolve defects with a newer model.

Finally, Apple did mention that opening the iPhone to third parties would affect stability.
  • Reply 159 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Finally, Apple did mention that opening the iPhone to third parties would affect stability.

Absolutely. And recall they had to delay the SDK process, and control sign-ups. Relatedly, SJ repeatedly and quite vehemently brought up the point that battery drawdown would be an issue with 3G.

He was soundly (and arrogantly) derided for these views by the know-it-alls in this forum.

And now, the whining.....
  • Reply 160 of 187
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Everyone on this forum really should take some time to read the threads on Howard Forums and Apple Support regarding the significant complaints on the 3G IPhone's poor signal quality when compared to other manufacturer's 3G phones on the same network and in exactly the same location. It makes for a sober reading. There are some very unhappy people out there in strong 3G coverage areas (Japan, Norway, Manhattan), who feel that the 3G iPhone has some highly significant issues.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....02608&tstart=0

Problems are widespread, but how many units are affected remains to be determined. It has nothing to do with AT&T coverage (poor as it may be)