Apple plans mystery "product transition" before September's end

Comments

• Reply 21 of 735
    troehltroehl Posts: 31member
    Well, they kept mentioning "transition" and not "new" products so I would have to put my money on the iPod line. Especially since they are gearing up for the back-to-school and holiday season and they need to refresh the line to generate continued sales.

My guess is that they drop the iPod Classic and come up with refreshed touches in both flash and hard drive models with added GPS like the iPhone. With the addition of the App Store, you can easily see how Apple has built an infrastructure that the competition just can't match. There may also be a Tablet sized touch but I would put a product like that in the class of the MacBook Air. In other words, it would probably sell well but it wouldn't be a mass consumer device.

I'm also guessing that Apple may plan to defer revenue of sales on these new touches the same way that they are doing for the iPhone. This would have the affect of moving a large chunk of revenue to the deferred side of the books and could easily account for the lower guidance that Apple is offering...
  • Reply 22 of 735
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

It's a MacTablet, obviously. A merging of a full Mac and the iPhone in terms of functionality and UI.

It's the last remaining "poorly defined" market to be conquered before Steve-o retires.

and game console, this is also "poorly defined" and lowly profitted area ...

but both are new products and other new products can be any one of these Tablets, PDAs, Game Console, xMac

let us keep this thread to PRODUCT TRANSITION

and no iPhone talk please, nano or shuffle whatever form, i am tired of iPhone talk
  • Reply 23 of 735
    Suggestions that the product transition involves the mac mini or apple TV don't seem to fit the facts, given that these products lack the volume required to have that much of an impact on overall margins. Of course, the lowered margins for Q4 is partly due to the ipod touch giveaway. Still, that one quarter event doesn't affect the 2009 margins down to 30% news. This has to be something that sells currently in significant volume.
  • Reply 24 of 735
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Product transition that will affect profit margin...

Hmmm.. Makes me think it is the iPod line and that all models will transition into touch versions.. The competition certainly couldn't match that and it would certainly cut into profit margin and it certainly is a transition..
  • Reply 25 of 735
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

and game console, this is also "poorly defined" and lowly profitted area ...

but both are new products and other new products can be any one of these Tablets, PDAs, Game Console, xMac

let us keep this thread to PRODUCT TRANSITION

and no iPhone talk please, nano or shuffle whatever form, i am tired of iPhone talk

A transition could easily be a transition from notebooks to tablets.
  • Reply 26 of 735
    Guys, he said Product Transition not new product.

Costly product transition that would lower the profit margin - SSD storage.

all macbooks and imacs with SSD storage only?

Samsung did release the cheaper 128gb SSD drive.
  • Reply 27 of 735
    Looking into my crystal ball I can see a take 3 on a certain hobby product... it is a little bit hazy but it looks like this time it will be with 1080p, DVR, and something else, hard to see, wait a sec, it is a... yes!, a BluRay drive. And it is cheap and will sell in millions

Oops, it is not a crystal ball, it's a wishing well I am staring into...
  • Reply 28 of 735
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Guys, he said Product Transition not new product.

Costly product transition that would lower the profit margin - SSD storage.

all macbooks and imacs with SSD storage only?

Samsung did release the cheaper 128gb SSD drive.

that is component transition not a product transition, same applies with Blu-Ray drives
  • Reply 29 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Product transition that will affect profit margin...

Hmmm.. Makes me think it is the iPod line and that all models will transition into touch versions.. The competition certainly couldn't match that and it would certainly cut into profit margin and it certainly is a transition..

Yes, the more I think about this the more it makes sense..

Apple will do away with the iPod classic and the iPod touch will be the replacement with a larger capacity drive.. This will cost more and affect margins..

The iPod nano will also transition into the "iPod nano touch" with a smaller screen and the same storage capacities as the current nano's.. It will probably not have all the same functionality as the big iPod touch but I can totally see coverflow and video on a smaller nano. And think about the app store, Apple want's as many users as possible buying and downloading these apps.. Again, the competition couldn't touch this (no pun intended.)
  • Reply 30 of 735
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Keep guessing.

Perhaps they do a HDD to SSD transition across the whole Mac line shocking us all. Doesn't Intel have this supposedly "fantastic" SSD tech on the way that they brag about being superior to all other SSD's out there with some (seriously) extraordinary test results? If they're ready to deliver they would defenitely catch the competition off guard.

Product transition though sounds a bit bigger. New macs with ssd + bluray + on board h.264 dedicated chip..
  • Reply 31 of 735
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    I thought I remember hearing about Apple asking Intel to make some specialized ATOM chips for them a while back... I'm thinking a tablet like thing that utilizes this processor. Or maybe the MacThin (an even smaller Mac Mini? But I doubt there is a market there other than HTPC, in which they already have aTV) There really aren't that many good tablets out there though, and with Apple's "coolness" factor, it could pull away big.

But, then again, its Apple... so you know its just going to be a fun toy to show off. A computer in any form is still a computer in my mind. So far, they all do the same stuff given the right software. It just depends on how stable or good looking you want it to be.

So far, I'm bored. Back to Ubuntu. (And it'd be nice to see Compiz Fusion for OS X!)
  • Reply 32 of 735
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I have to wonder if that has something to do with "Snow Leopard", which IMHO has the potential to be a slow starter because they may not support it on some platforms currently in use. I've also found the feature list so far un-compelling. The term "Snow Leopard" has me thinking they are aiming for a release this winter, which means it may be announced soon.

Another possibility is moving the entire iPod line to a new processor and an OS based on the one in the iPhone/iPod touch.

Other possibilities already mentioned are some full or partial transition to SSD (partial in the sense that you might combine a small SSD with a hard disk). Or moving to Blu-ray, which would would include supporting HDCP (including possibly in their monitors).
  • Reply 33 of 735
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I think that "transition" is the key word, like the transition to Intel processors.

Looking at the Apple line up the iPod stands out as ready for a transition to the OS X version that the iPhone/touch is using. Now that would be a transition.

Other transitions could relate to some of the Apple patents we have read about, such as iPhone touch displays on iMacs & notebooks. Don't know if the technology is there to make it financially viable, but it sounds interesting.

Also mentioned was that there was only 3 - 4 week inventory in the channels, but that would reference "new products" and there was mention of exciting new products coming during the rest of 2008. My guess is that new MacBooks would fall under that group.
  • Reply 34 of 735
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Apple will do away with the iPod classic and the iPod touch will be the replacement with a larger capacity drive.. This will cost more and affect margins..

Except that I doubt that they sell enough of either model to make a noticeable difference in their overall margins. Whatever this change is, it has to have absolutely huge sales to make that big a dent. It's probably more like a sweeping change that affects all laptops, or all desktops, or all iPods, or a big expansion of iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 735
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about

home server

larger iphone tablet what does apple have that others can't get

but that doesn't include tech that others can't do or reproduce, look at past patents

to lower margins components can be more costly, e.g ssd, or transition from typical product to feature rich product

we are never right about apple products they always surprise us.
  • Reply 36 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Except that I doubt that they sell enough of either model to make a noticeable difference in their overall margins. Whatever this change is, it has to have absolutely huge sales to make that big a dent. It's probably more like a sweeping change that affects all laptops, or all desktops, or all iPods, or a big expansion of iPhone.

Did you read the rest of my post?

I said ALL iPODS will transition into touch versions, including the "iPod nano touch."

It's all about getting the "app store" on as many devices as possible. This is a clear way to shut out the competition..
  • Reply 37 of 735
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    How about the "Mac Air Pro"

A 15" SSD (180 GB) Macbook Air fully loaded with a tactile keyboard and a multi-touch track pad. However, tap the track pad three times and up pops out a 3G iPhone/wireless tether.
  • Reply 38 of 735
    Mac Mini at the Moment, is the Mac Mini Granddad!

I'm not saying this is the only release, however I reckon the Mac Mini is going to be rejuvenated which will probably match the new macbooks that are coming out soon.

Lets face it, the new mac mini is on the cards, and the apple engineers are busy trying to think of new ways to cram a kitchen sink into a box the size of a cigarette packet!

My Personal Predictions:

* New macbook

* New macbook Pro

and last but not least

* a New Mac Mini.

On the off chance that Jobs is reading this, I would like to advise him, that if he was to instruct his Apple Minions to design a Mac Mini, that has the upgrade facilities parrallel to the Macbook range, and drop the price about £50, you will have seriously high demand for these.

People are now looking for their 2nd or 3rd home PC, and a wee toatty Apple would be just the ticket!

One last point - If the apple engineers produce a mac mini based on the Spec of the current macbooks, then you know Apple are seriously daft.

Hopefully, using common sense, the new mac mini will complement the unrelease macbook which should arrive in a month or so.
  • Reply 39 of 735
    switching to all SSD storage for all devices would be huge.

They would not simply replace the storage and not the device.

I think we would see new thinner iMacs, macbooks, ipods.
  • Reply 40 of 735
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Not that Apple really cares about me in particular but they can guarantee a purchase from me by doing the following...

1) MB's go aluminum (or some other light weight, high strength metal/composite) - until they go metal I'm going to milk this 12" PB until it doesn't work at all (the MBP's are just too expensive for me

2) $149 AppleTV (or lower) with only 160GB HD option - I actually downloaded 2 movies this past weekend - hooked up my PB to my 42" HDTV and, being completely honest here, it actually looked pretty good to me. Only problem I had was playback since my PB is getting a bit old it would jump from time to time...

3) Drop the Mini below $500 so my siblings and I can pony up and buy my mom a new computer (she's using an old "sunflower" iMac)

Also - didn't Opp. say something VERY similar to this LAST quarter??