Apple plans mystery "product transition" before September's end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 735
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    With what they have now the two products that could "Shut out the competition" are the iPhone and the AppleTV.

The iPhone just received an update and is not likely to see a price cut this soon after it's introduction. They also are having no problem selling them, if anything they are having problems keeping up with the demand.

AppleTV, still just a Hobby, could go a few ways to gain more sales but needs partnerships do really succeed. IF Apple were to expand their online program offerings from simple PodCasts and YouTube to offer network programming they could gain some traction, but they probably could not shut out the competition since the networks would most likely match any success with similar deals with Microsoft and other companies testing this market. They could add DVR, but they risk loosing content providers they currently have agreements with and they would need a way to seamlessly integrate it with Cable and Satellite, which as I understand it is not that simple. They do have a deal with AT&T for the iPhone, and AT&T is entering the TVIP business with their U-verse systems, could they be partnering with AT&T for set top boxes? I don't think this is likely and they would only gain as much market share as AT&T can steal from traditional cable. I can't see a clear path to unparalleled success with the AppleTV like they have with the iPod and iPhone, too much is up in the air, but there are ways that they could expand on the success they have had so far.

I think the most likely thing we will see soon are updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro, possibly the iMac and Mini as well.
  • Reply 42 of 735
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Best to worst case scenario

3. touch screen on all the iPods except iPod shuffle

God... I HOPE NOT!!!! I don't want to have to use a full-blown computer interface... with two hands... just to change songs and volume... etc. The iPod should NEVER EVER go 100% touch screen. That would be in interface disaster.
  • Reply 43 of 735
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

With what they have now the two products that could "Shut out the competition" are the iPhone and the AppleTV.

I think the most likely thing we will see soon are updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro, possibly the iMac and Mini as well.

Are you forgetting about iPods.. The time is just about right for an updated line..

All iPods go touch. No more classic and no more nano: they will become:

iPod touch

iPod nano touch.

All iPods will now use the app store. Brilliant..
  • Reply 44 of 735
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Desktops

Apple needs a transitional desktop model and a lower priced model will make room at the high end for those lovely multiple core chips that intel will make available soon.

There's lots of chips in the market right now. Apple has offerings in a very small sector Desktop wise.

Touchscreen iMac refresh: HP introduced theirs. How long will it be before Apple responds. Maybe January.

And on an occams razor feel, couldn't he just be talking about the G3 iPhone?
  • Reply 45 of 735
    xMac

xMac

xMac xMac

xMac xMac xMac

xMac xMac xMac xMac xMac

xMac xMac xMac xMac xMac xMac xMac xMac
  • Reply 46 of 735
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I said ALL iPODS will transition into touch versions, including the "iPod nano touch."

Not gonna happen. The smaller screen is fine for watching video, but it's way too small for touchscreen, particularly running apps.

Not to mention that for a device that is primarily a media player, regular buttons are way easier than a touchscreen (just try and do that while driving).
  • Reply 47 of 735
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    OS X and OS X Server are products. Could this transition be away from Apple-branded hardware and to virtualization technology? There is nothing hardware-wise that truly differentiates an Apple system from its competitors. Just look at the Mac Pro. It's practically the same thing as the Dell Precision T7400 and HP x8600. The biggest difference in my opinion is the Dell can run 128GB of memory. Of course, the nice thing about Apple systems is they control the hardware, thus reducing hardware issues/driver incompatibilities.

On the flip-side, maybe Linux(probably)/Vista(unlikely) will be a BTO option on new Macs?

Under the current model, every computer sale = OS sale. There's a significant profit margin built in to that combo, but does it inherently limit market-share? Will the life-long Windows be more willing to try OS X if he can run it along-side Vista on his brand-new HP/Dell/IBM/etc? I'd bet 50%+ of OS X installs on non-Apple hardware will result in a Apple computer purchase next time around, because everyone knows that Apple's attention to detail usually puts the competition to sham.

Just my $0.02.
  • Reply 48 of 735
    troehltroehl Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Did you read the rest of my post?

I said ALL iPODS will transition into touch versions, including the "iPod nano touch."

It's all about getting the "app store" on as many devices as possible. This is a clear way to shut out the competition..

Well, that's not going to happen. Apple needs to have a product line that covers all the price points, from the cheap shuffles all the way up to the high capacity touches. If they leave a hole in the product line then it leaves a huge hole for the competition to come in and steal market share.

Apple does need to refresh the line to keep up demand and drive holiday/back to school sales. Just making them smaller or giving them more space is not going to do that. The Touch is definitely going to do that but I still think there is room for the Nano in the lineup. Some people still really only want to play music.
  • Reply 49 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Not gonna happen. The smaller screen is fine for watching video, but it's way too small for touchscreen, particularly running apps.

Not to mention that for a device that is primarily a media player, regular buttons are way easier than a touchscreen (just try and do that while driving).

Look at the size of the current nano phatty. Now imagine the whole thing being a touch screen.. It's only a tad smaller than the current iPhone/iPod touch.. Remember, the whole thing would be a screen, the click wheel will be gone..
  • Reply 50 of 735
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Wondering if this would be a new upgradable desktop for users that need more than a mini, but not quite a Mac Pro.

If I had to choose 1 product, I would go with the earlier post on the Apple TV, probably a DVR. They could sell one, maybe 2 to each home. Might be as good profit as the iPhone with mass appeal. They might even be able to cut deals with cable companies, which would help with distribution.

My 2 cents!
  • Reply 51 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

Well, that's not going to happen. Apple needs to have a product line that covers all the price points, from the cheap shuffles all the way up to the high capacity touches. If they leave a hole in the product line then it leaves a huge hole for the competition to come in and steal market share.

Apple does need to refresh the line to keep up demand and drive holiday/back to school sales. Just making them smaller or giving them more space is not going to do that. The Touch is definitely going to do that but I still think there is room for the Nano in the lineup. Some people still really only want to play music.

Obviously the shuffles would be excluded from touch.. I'm mainly talking the nano and classic iPods. I'm telling you it's all about getting the app store on as many devices as possible.. Keeping the nano at the same price point but going touch would cut into margins, but the competition simply couldn't match it..
  • Reply 52 of 735
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Product transition that will affect profit margin...

Hmmm.. Makes me think it is the iPod line and that all models will transition into touch versions.. The competition certainly couldn't match that and it would certainly cut into profit margin and it certainly is a transition..

I'm 100% with you and others on this. The App Store will more than make up on margins lost to push the new line. This would be a transition, and would shut down competition. Unlike a new really fast iMac that could make a huge impact on competition, but not shut them down. Plus the Mac line will wait until SL to try and shut anyone down on that front.
  • Reply 53 of 735
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Better call Chief Inspector Foyle....

What a great sleuth. Glad: the war is over. Sad: he has retired.
  • Reply 54 of 735
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new, unnamed product will continue to have "technologies and features that others can't match," according to the CFO.

The iPhone's 200 patents inside a Macbook Pro would guarantee that.
  • Reply 55 of 735
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

Looking into my crystal ball I can see a take 3 on a certain hobby product... it is a little bit hazy but it looks like this time it will be with 1080p, DVR, and something else, hard to see, wait a sec, it is a... yes!, a BluRay drive. And it is cheap and will sell in millions

Oops, it is not a crystal ball, it's a wishing well I am staring into...

Feh! Blu-Ray drive is already DOA. It's not something consumers have been clamoring for, just retailers.
  • Reply 56 of 735
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Remember one thing ? you bit the hook!

It WILL be something new - mark my words. I'd tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill you, or be killed, or at least sued?

Skip
  • Reply 57 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I agree. To use a Touch... you need two hands and a pair of eyes. You can use a classic with one hand and, for certain operations... if you wish, no eyes at all! Keep a simple iPod option that is essentially just a media player.

To me... the iPod Touch is not an iPod... it's a palm-top computer that happens to have a media player installed.
  • Reply 58 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

To me... the iPod Touch is not an iPod... it's a palm-top computer that happens to have a media player installed.

Exactly, and that's why an iPod nano becoming an iPod nano touch is a transition.
  • Reply 59 of 735
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The iPod Analog! Big chunky switches, sliders and rotary dials for the rest of us!!!!
  • Reply 60 of 735
    Quote:

Exactly, and that's why an iPod nano becoming an iPod nano touch is a transition.

And a big mistake... if touch and shuffle become the only options available.