If OS X development is at 9 o'clock, then does that mean 10.2 is coming out in April?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It's been roughly nine months since OS X shipped as a product, and it's 9 o'clock on the Steve-clock, so are we looking at a spring launch of 10.2?

SdC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    A spring launch of OSX 10.2 only makes perfect sense. I can't imagine why you'd question that.

When the one year transition is over, Apple certainly should have something better than 10.1 ready for everyone.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>It's been roughly nine months since OS X shipped as a product, and it's 9 o'clock on the Steve-clock, so are we looking at a spring launch of 10.2?

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mac OS X 10.0 was released in March and Macworld Tokyo is in March - will it be released there?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I doubt it will be called 10.2

I bet Apple will call it 10.5 and sell it as a $99 upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]I bet Apple will call it 10.5 and sell it as a $99 upgrade. <hr></blockquote>

No way. All those people who have had their new iMacs about one week woul just love that one. No it would be a PR disaster to try to charge for that, unless it were chargable for those who were not running 10.1
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I bet we'll see the next big 'upgrade' to Mac OS X in May at WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Actually, March is 12 o'clock, March was the original ship date for X as defualt. Following that pattern, I think March will be the month of X.2
  • Reply 7 of 9
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>I doubt it will be called 10.2

I bet Apple will call it 10.5 and sell it as a $99 upgrade.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I find that highly unlikely. Apple wants people to migrate to OS X. OS 10.1 isn't too hot, even the most loyal informed mac addict can't be satisfied with 10.1. It's still to an extent unfinished. This is why Apple needs to ship 10.2 for free. Otherwise I can only imagine the complaints that would come. I'd be like M$ when they released Win '95 & never fixed a lot of the oustanding bugs, rather they shiped '98 which fixed them but of course you had to pay for it.

M$ can take those liberties because of it's monopoly (doesn't matter if you tick off people, where are they going to go?). Apple on the other hand cannot take the chance of alienating it's user group to the oh so seductive PC land (I believe at any given time at least 50% of mac users at least entertain the idea of getting a PC, I know I have, but then I think about windows ... talk about a douse of cold water to bring me back to my senses!).

In short, Apple needs to fix OS 10 before bringing out 10.5. That can't happen until at least 10.2.

Anybody remember the whole Adobe Indesign 1.5 fiasco? You had to pay to upgrade to get an actual working product (1.0 sucked so badly that realistically you couldn't use it in a office environment). What happened? Outrage by customers (and rightly so!). A good example for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]I bet Apple will call it 10.5 and sell it as a $99 upgrade. <hr></blockquote>

No way. All those people who have had their new iMacs about one week woul just love that one. No it would be a PR disaster to try to charge for that, unless it were chargable for those who were not running 10.1
  • Reply 9 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    10.2 will come out at the 1-year mark... unless it comes preinstalled on new hardware first!