Microsoft offers first hints at anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    This whole campaign seems a little screwy and half baked. Did you see how many statistics were quoted in the company's copy? Trash the "Get a Mac" ads, but they get the point home, and talk about consumers. MS is trying to go after consumers or IT? The consumer side will go for something they can relate to, if they're not awed by the cutting power of MS's statistical analysis of programs that don't run on Vista.

But whatever, there are people who believe that the earth is flat, but they're either crazy or uneducated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Why should we trust what Microsoft says about Vista when they can't even get their history right?

Dante writing Paradise Lost before Columbus has a round earth with the gravitational pull changing direction at the very center of the earth.

--Michael W. Perry, Untangling Tolkien

Dante wrote The Divine Comedy, where, at the end of Inferno, they do flip upside down and start going up, with Dante noting it.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I hate to burst your bubble but isn't MobilMe turning out to be Apple's Vista?

Except with Vista you have an option to reject it and go for XP instead but MobileMe you can't choose .Mac? Just wondering
  • Reply 63 of 129
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Except with Vista you have an option to reject it and go for XP instead but MobileMe you can't choose .Mac? Just wondering

Apple immediately admitted the problems with MobileMe and offered something for users. On the other hand, MS kept saying that there is nothing wrong with Vista for the last 18 months and kept blaming others. Just listen to Ballmer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_r2kE9Ej4

For me, it is more about MS attitude. They never admit they made a mistake until it is too late and that's what they are trying to do now after millions switched to Mac.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    Didn't the Dell Giant Blue Robot driven by a nerd with a Robot-sized Blue Dell Notebook® actually discover that the earth wasn't flat?

I think the same robot debunked the moon-as-cheese theory during one of the early Apollo flights.

Keep spending your money, Ballmer.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

For me, it is more about MS attitude. They never admit they made a mistake until it is too late and that's what they are trying to do now after millions switched to Mac.

I call it the Messiah-versus-Mr. Hyde Complex. It's actually kind of like perpetual motion, except its fuel (cash) may actually be exhaustible one day.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

No one ever believed the earth was flat.

No one?

Flat Earth Society
  • Reply 67 of 129
    ponduspondus Posts: 3member
    I have been using windows alongside macs for more than 20 years. I recently got a brand state of the art HP laptop with Vista from my IT department, and I have been using it extensively ever since ... or rather: have HAD to use it. Even on this brand new hardware, Vista is sluggish, unpredictable and wele - down right anoying to work with. And as others in this forum have noted - everyone I know, including a number of MS-experienced IT-professionals - have had the same experience and have or are - as I sure am - downgrading to XP.

I have no way of judggng the underlying technology, but the user experience is - I am sad to say - exactly as infuriating as the PC vs Mac adds have depicted it.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Apple immediately admitted the problems with MobileMe and offered something for users. On the other hand, MS kept saying that there is nothing wrong with Vista for the last 18 months and kept blaming others.

Yeah, MobileMe, while an overall enhancement of .Mac, just launched. It hasn't been sitting around for over a year with problems. It's a slow-growth service, like AppleTV is a slow-growth product. It facilitates other things, like iWeb websites, just as AppleTV helped Apple get the major movie studios on iTunes, who otherwise probably wouldn't have cooperated if the only way to watch their films was on a computer or on iPod and iPhone screens.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    This reminds me of another poorly-thought out attmpt to reboot a product's credibility:

"Allow me to re-introduce myself"

Didn't work for Apple, it's not gonna work for Microsoft. You simply don't acknowledge your mistakes in advertising. Press releases, press onferences interviews, fine. Not ads.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

It'd be interesting to see how some of you would pick apart Apple's marketing if you ever took off the Apple shades.

Well, for starters Apple marketing doesn't often look like a powerpoint slide with 20 fricking words on it that basically conveys that the reader is clueless as opposed to "our product kicks ass". Worse, the purported "facts" are that "we don't suck NEARLY as bad as you think we do".

WTF? Who the hell thinks that's a good idea?

At this stage of the game, suck it up and try for a solid base hit next year. At least everyone's expectations will be suitably low.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Well, for starters Apple marketing doesn't often look like a powerpoint slide with 20 fricking words on it that basically conveys that the reader is clueless as opposed to "our product kicks ass". Worse, the purported "facts" are that "we don't suck NEARLY as bad as you think we do".

WTF? Who the hell thinks that's a good idea?

Anyone with an MBA degree?
  • Reply 72 of 129
    zagmaczagmac Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Yes! Am I the only one stuck without admin rights on a Windows machine at work running IE6 that is now unable to access email? Death! No laundry list of "Web 2.0 improvements" can replace the basic function of email that I require.

I'm not technical at all. Can anyone help me understand why there is not an option of some sort to access email from an IE6 machine?

At least I realize it was pointless for me to fret over webmail being down for several days when MobileMe launched....I couldn't have accessed email anyway!

I'm ready for a company to be to Apple what they are to Microsoft. Save me, little guy with big vision and dreams. Maybe the Texas Instuments 994A can be brought back to life and I can use one of those! (No, I don't think that makes any sense, is accurate in any way, or anytihng else worth correcting me over...I just mad)
  • Reply 73 of 129
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Yes! Am I the only one stuck without admin rights on a Windows machine at work running IE6 that is now unable to access email?

If you should be using your work pc to check Mobile Me mail as part of your job, your employer should upgrade IE or allow you to download Safari.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Apple immediately admitted the problems with MobileMe and offered something for users. On the other hand, MS kept saying that there is nothing wrong with Vista for the last 18 months and kept blaming others. Just listen to Ballmer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_r2kE9Ej4

I meant more that it's getting a bad reputation fast amongst users and will affect new adaptors. There was an article in the paper today stating how it still does not work- no mail last weekend was delivered.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I got goosebumps!
  • Reply 76 of 129
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    So the campaign message is 'we know it didn't work very well, but now it works better'. Uh-huh. Incidentally the ship in the picture is a stylised clipper, a type of ship that did not appear until the 19th c. I'm sure I don't need to remind our American friends what Columbus' ship the Santa Maria looked like:

[IMG][/IMG]

I think that looks a bit more Vista like somehow!
  • Reply 77 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

I meant more that it's getting a bad reputation fast amongst users and will affect new adaptors. There was an article in the paper today stating how it still does not work- no mail last weekend was delivered.

What newspaper ran that story? Are you serious?

MobileMe's existence is not even known by the average consumer. Most MobileMe users are long-time .Mac users, many of whom have been wondering why they're paying for a less than impressive suite of online apps and storage.

Now they have more online storage and online apps that leverage SproutCore to make them look, act, and feel more like desktop clients. The transition has not been smooth, but Apple just recently publicly apologized, said they're working to fix the problems and extended all new users' subscriptions for another month.

You can read about it here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1345.../mobileme.html
  • Reply 78 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    What they should do is take Windows Server 2008, which is often descrived as Vista without the bloat, couple it with the best features from Home Server (based on Server 2003) and spend $300M marketing that with a clear message.

Windows Home Server 2008: Refined Power...for music, videos, photos, games, web and your everyday life.

Effectively dumping the tarnished Vista name by providing a "Desktop" install mode. Then even more bloggers and magazine articles will be saying: 'this is Vista done right" which is far better than trying to polish up Vista's reputation.

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/03...one-right.html

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wo...y-workstation/
  • Reply 79 of 129
    epanepan Posts: 5member
    Wow, that's brilliant. Draw a direct parallel between customers who are unhappy with your product, and folks who believed the earth was flat--while of course absolving yourself of any responsibility. Gee, I'm sold! I've got another one for you: "At one point everyone thought where there was smoke, there was fire."
  • Reply 80 of 129
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admiral_nelson View Post

Hi guys and gals,

take a close look at that sailing ship. It has Nelson chess board pattern, and I'm sure someone can comment on the rigging and the rest of the ship's design.

Really sloppy work from the advertising agency. This is a ship from the 1800s, so people in the western world would have known the earth was not flat for at least 300 years or more. Never mind the Egyptians and others who had worked it out a lot earlier.

Proof Microsoft just follows, never innovates.

I don't know anything about the ship, but my understanding is that people haven't believed the earth was flat for around 2500 years. The idea that Columbus disproved the flat earth to Europe for the first time is a myth.