Microsoft offers first hints at anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

No one?

Flat Earth Society

that is the craziest thing i have ever read.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    My first response to this was whenever Microsoft say "Get the Facts" on something it's usually FUD or lies or both, e.g. such classics as "Get the facts about Linux". The 2nd is, can Microsoft do Marketing for Windows where they don't come off as pompous? This also sounds apologetic (yeah, Vista was shit, but now its great!) which surely can never be a good thing in Marketing. Can you imagine GM advertising a car like this: "Sure the 2004 Malibu was a piece of junk, but the 2006 is amazing!".
  • Reply 83 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

What newspaper ran that story? Are you serious?

MobileMe's existence is not even known by the average consumer. Most MobileMe users are long-time .Mac users, many of whom have been wondering why they're paying for a less than impressive suite of online apps and storage.

Now they have more online storage and online apps that leverage SproutCore to make them look, act, and feel more like desktop clients. The transition has not been smooth, but Apple just recently publicly apologized, said they're working to fix the problems and extended all new users' subscriptions for another month.

You can read about it here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1345.../mobileme.html

Here's the article in today's paper:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07222008...ail_120921.htm
  • Reply 84 of 129
    Below is Apple's response ad to Microsoft's campaign.

PC (John Hodgman) stands at an ATM, feverishly withdrawing cash.

Mac: Hello, I'm a mac. Say, PC what are you doing?

PC: Well, I've had enough trying to compete with you and your amazing features, I've decided to try something new.

Mac: That's great PC. What do you have planned?

PC: I've decided to spend millions on a new ad campaign to welcome folks back to Vista.

Mac: Do you really think...

(PC slams the ATM in anger)

PC: Darn it!

Mac: What is it PC?

PC: I've reached my $300 daily limit.

[Apple Logo]

...and... scene!
  • Reply 85 of 129
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    "You should not be concerned that you are not known; you should seek to be worthy of being known.""

- Confucious
  • Reply 86 of 129
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

"[I] got goosebumps - just, wow," said one insider who was privy to the preview."

I'd love to see what passes for generating goosebumps in Redmond. I recall a Jobs Keynote where they hauled up one of the Office Product Managers who was positively rapturous over the fact that you could now press a control that got your Excel graph to stay on one printed page...

Hahaha. Roz Ho! I remember that! It went something along the lines of:

Roz shows the MS Word palettes auto-fading when the pointer leaves them, turns to the audience: 'What do you think about that!"

Stunted applause...

Ah, those were the days. I did feel bad for her though...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

Oh yay another trying to introduce facts into marketing that doesn't apply not only to marketing... It'd be interesting to see how some of you would pick apart Apple's marketing if you ever took off the Apple shades.

Ah, there are so many of you guys around here. Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay, but do keep in mind this is an Apple forum, filled with apple enthusiasts and fanboys...

Taking off my Apple shades for a moment, Apple has done some crazy crap, and come up with some hum-dingers of it's own over the years, but this is about MS's advertising campaign, and how silly it is.

Yay for computers.

Jimzip
  • Reply 87 of 129
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Microsoft have dug themselves a hole. By allowing critics to control the Vista message, they can't try to regain control without it seeming false, or unintentionally funny. Likewise, they can't really address the negative slant of the message because it's not false. When they're lying, it's easer because you can apint them as bad guys. When it's opinions, you portray them as idiots which makes you the bad guy (Microsoft has opted for this approach, which Apple also used in that Lemmings ad, I'm sure we all remember how thta turned out). When the other guy is right, you ignore them completely and create a new message - usually this involves a new feature or an endorsement.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    pixelnycpixelnyc Posts: 19member
    Micro$oft is truly suck. At least they keep the economy going by creating a huge IT industry to support their shoddy products and by forcing their users to buy a new computer every 1.5 years once their last "bargain" system is rendered useless and obsolete by viruses and malware.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peruchito View Post

that is the craziest thing i have ever read.

This comes close:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_geocentrism
  • Reply 90 of 129
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    This is awesome. By going after Apple with a $300 million campaign, they simply further legitimize Apple as a real contender.

MS once again shoots itself in the foot. Keep it up guys.

• Reply 91 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Here's the article in today's paper:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07222008...ail_120921.htm

From the article:

Analysts said the MobileMe service is the cornerstone of the iPhone's push to compete head-to-head with business-oriented smart phones like the popular BlackBerry.

This should tell you they don't know what they're talking about. MobileMe is not going up against Microsoft's Exchange for business users with BlackBerrys. Shoot, the iPhone's own use of ActiveSync gives a direct connection to the Exchange server, rather than going through a third party up in Canada as RIM's phone does, which has resulted in a number of Exchange outages.

The article just quotes a couple forum posts. Apple has addressed the problem with subscription extensions and admitting the transition is "rockier" than they expected. My advice, don't go with NY Post bloggers for your tech news source. Man, what a shallow, sensationalist rant. And they get payed for this.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

From the article:

Analysts said the MobileMe service is the cornerstone of the iPhone's push to compete head-to-head with business-oriented smart phones like the popular BlackBerry.

This should tell you they don't know what they're talking about. MobileMe is not going up against Microsoft's Exchange for business users with BlackBerrys. Shoot, the iPhone's own use of ActiveSync gives a direct connection to the Exchange server, rather than going through a third party up in Canada as RIM's phone does, which has resulted in a number of Exchange outages.

The article just quotes a couple forum posts. Apple has addressed the problem with subscription extensions and admitting the transition is "rockier" than they expected. My advice, don't go with NY Post bloggers for your tech news source. Man, what a shallow, sensationalist rant. And they get payed for this.

That's not a blogger but an actual article from the newspaper. Bad publicity is not good- period. That did not appear in the "tech" section .

BTW- I'm not going with that as my technews source but rather simply showing you what's out there 2 weeks after launch. Do you have any idea how large their readership is? Apparently not.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    Quote:

Vista now...runs 98 of the top 100 consumer software programs

I have to ask again: which 2 programs doesn't Vista run?
  • Reply 94 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

Numbers 08 and Pages 08
  • Reply 95 of 129
    This looks like a job for Bruce Service Pack and the Vista Street Band.

But seriously, what a lame ad, the advertising agency must have felt really inspired working on that one.
  • Reply 96 of 129
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

That's not a blogger but an actual article from the newspaper. Bad publicity is not good- period. That did not appear in the "tech" section .

BTW- I'm not going with that as my technews source but rather simply showing you what's out there 2 weeks after launch. Do you have any idea how large their readership is? Apparently not.

While I'll agree that the MobileMe launch has been a mess, the NY Post really isn't taken seriously as a news source - it's a sensationalized tabloid with a blatant political bias.

While apple dropped the ball on MM, they should have it fixed soon - do people really expect that it will have a reputation as bad as Vista in a year and a half?

MS really needs to just give up on shoving vista down the throats of people who don't want it - look to the future and make sure the next Windows actually makes people want to upgrade.
  • Reply 97 of 129
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

I hate to burst your bubble but isn't MobilMe turning out to be Apple's Vista?

Except with Vista you have an option to reject it and go for XP instead but MobileMe you can't choose .Mac? Just wondering

Except for one minor detail, MM isn't an operating system.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Sorry, I couldn't tell the difference. A lot of these established media outlets write more link baiting articles than they do real investigative journalism.

Not ragging on the NY Post as a whole, but obviously this "journalist" was speaking past his core competencies. I don't doubt they have a large readership. So do Fox and the Huffington Post. That doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Glad it's not your main tech news source.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

Quote:

Numbers 08 and Pages 08

Hmm, it's probably iWork 08 and iLife 08 since I work has Numbers, Pages and Keynote? But then those numbers, no pun intended, don't add up! M$ mucked up again! Why? iLife has 5 complete apps and iWork has 3! Hmm, So does that mean Vista runs 92 out of 100?

LOL

Even though it's not an "app" it can't run OS X but OS X can run Vista, XP, etc., a bit of irony there aye?
  • Reply 100 of 129
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"And in early 2008, Windows Vista was shown to have 89% fewer vulnerabilities than MacOS X 10.5, making it the most secure Windows release to date."

People obviously could care less about vulnerability numbers, they only care about *REAL SECURITY*. I want to know the ratio of real-life, in the wild, installed instances of malware, spyware, viri, worms, and rootkits on Windows PCs versus OSX! Whats that? 100,000,000 to 1 you say?