iPhone 3G jailbreaking tool goes live

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Excellent! Thanks.

Yes, I believe it's time for a class-action lawsuit vs Apple & AT&T. It is quite obvious that they will never offer a legal unlocked phone, even though US citizens have this right.

Let AT&T compete with other carriers. Let Apple compete with other cell phone manufacturers. It would be so ironic to use the DMCA against some of the same companies who use it against us.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

The phone he has will only work outside of AT&T's network if jailbroken and unlocked himself with 3rd-party software.

Now that unlocking on various carriers around the world is offered, it's a pity Apple & AT&T don't offer a paid unlock to all those people running cracked phones who would rather be back on Apple's 'good side'

For example - a $200 fee to upgrade your jailbroken and unlocked iPhone to genuine v2.0 firmware that is unlocked.

Out of interest - are there procedures for AT&T customers with jailbroken phones to "un-jailbreak" their phones and go to a genuine v2.0 (assuming that the app store meets their application needs now!) ???
  • Reply 63 of 86
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

There is a Hong Kongian company that is selling factory unlocked iPhone for $1000 USD. That plus the lack of an unlock has a put a damper on my plans as I sit with 2 extra iPhones sitting on my shelf.

As for a legal right, I don't know of any law that forbids the locking of or requires telcos to unlock phones in the US and there is a long history of past present and future handsets that are tied to a carrier. I am under the impression that the iPhone is sold unlocked or unlockable by the carrier in every country that requires it legally. If you have a link stating otherwise, please post it.

Vodafone, Optus and Telstra all offer unlocking options in Australia. In combination with a prepaid deal or a cheap (throw-away) contract, it puts the iPhone 3G costs at around A$950 including tax (which is about US$920). Optus allows unlocking for free if you're on a contract.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yes, I believe it's time for a class-action lawsuit vs Apple & AT&T. It is quite obvious that they will never offer a legal unlocked phone, even though US citizens have this right.

Let AT&T compete with other carriers. Let Apple compete with other cell phone manufacturers. It would be so ironic to use the DMCA against some of the same companies who use it against us.

Why should Apple and AT&T's collaboration be the focus of such a lawsuit, not the practice itself as this is common among all the major carries and at least some of the MVNOs? Pointing a finger at the iPhone is easy as it's the most popular handset around, but the practice of locking a phone to a carrier is the norm in the USandA.

Even MetroPCS has recently claimed that it can flash a Sprint or Verizon phone to work on their network, yet all their phones are for their CDMA network only, despite having to pay for the hanset in full.

Because of this common practice I submit to you the possibility that it isn't illegal. I will AT&T tomorrow and try to get my phone unlocked for interstate travel. i wonder what canned message I'll get.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Now that unlocking on various carriers around the world is offered, it's a pity Apple & AT&T don't offer a paid unlock to all those people running cracked phones who would rather be back on Apple's 'good side'

For example - a $200 fee to upgrade your jailbroken and unlocked iPhone to genuine v2.0 firmware that is unlocked.

Out of interest - are there procedures for AT&T customers with jailbroken phones to "un-jailbreak" their phones and go to a genuine v2.0 (assuming that the app store meets their application needs now!) ???

They do have less reason to keep it locked since they are the only HSDPA game in town, but they won't because of arseholes like me who are selling them overseas.

Yes, you can downgrade it to an earlier OS or an unhacked OS easily using iTunes Restore option in DFU mode.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

Why should Apple and AT&T's collaboration be the focus of such a lawsuit, not the practice itself as this is common among all the major carries and at least some of the MVNOs? Pointing a finger at the iPhone is easy as it's the most popular handset around, but the practice of locking a phone to a carrier is the norm in the USandA.

Even MetroPCS has recently claimed that it can flash a Sprint or Verizon phone to work on their network, yet all their phones are for their CDMA network only, despite having to pay for the hanset in full.

Because of this common practice I submit to you the possibility that it isn't illegal. I will AT&T tomorrow and try to get my phone unlocked for interstate travel. i wonder what canned message I'll get.

You're putting words in my mouth and you must know how unsanitary that is!

I never wrote or intimated that locking a phone is illegal. What I noted was that the government has said beyond any doubt that US citizens have a legal right to purchase any phone unlocked, and manufacturers and carriers must oblige when requested.

When I asked Apple that I wanted to buy an unlocked iPhone, they refused to sell one to me. When I asked AT&T the same question, they said that it wasn't possible.

Don't you just love those brain-dead people who chant over and over again: "Can't be done. Impossible. Can't be done. Impossible."

Since both firms now violate my legal rights, and as a policy, those of all their iPhone customers, I believe the best course of action is to force these corporations to behave within the letter of the law.

These firms won't give you what you are legally entitled to unless you fight for it. Freedom from any entity whether oppressive regime, institution, religion or corporation is always hard won.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

You're putting words in my mouth... I never wrote or intimated that locking a phone is illegal. What I noted was that the government has said beyond any doubt that US citizens have a legal right to purchase any phone unlocked, and manufacturers and carriers must oblige when requested... I believe the best course of action is to force these corporations to behave within the letter of the law.

If they aren't obeying the law they are doing something illegal, hence my word putting in your mouth. (do youhave idea where my words have been?) But I see your POV is that having an locked phone is not illegal, but not unlocking it for a customer is illegal.

I see the DMCA and it's exceptions slightly different. I see it as you are by law allowed to circumvent the copyrighted code for the lock so long as you use the item as intended and are not unlocking it with the sole purpose of reselling it, but the carrier does not have to supply the unlock for you.

edit: There has to be many google hits of people about the nuances of the DMCA. I have to run out, but I'll try to look it up when I get back if no one else has. Though I'm still gong to call tomorrow to see what they tell me.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:

They do have less reason to keep it locked since they are the only HSDPA game in town, but they won't because of arseholes like me who are selling them overseas.

Since the 3G iPhone is being released unlocked around the globe for around US$850 (16GB), there is potential for a US$850 unlocked phone in the US. Of course AT&T want (and have the rights to) exclusivity unless you have a US law precluding it. So I can see that not changing (though maybe there will be a market for importing unlocked iPhone 3Gs into the US!)

With respect to the older iPhone - assuming AT&T & Apple have a real idea of how many iPhone (v1) were sold in the US and also know how many are actually on an AT&T contract, there must be a profit potential in charging a few hundred dollars to make the 'missing' phones 'legal' (unlocked but otherwise regular iPhones). AT&T and Apple could both make some money.

I can see the problem of AT&T losing currently 'legal' iPhone customers who switch to unlocked.... but don't all of them have atleast a year left on their contract anyway?

ps. Telstra in Australia are now charging about $150 to unlock the iPhone, but only if you join/sign a contract with Telstra. Very useful if you want to travel overseas and use a different SIM, useless if you wanted to buy from Telstra then ditch Telstra and go elsewhere.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    When geeks fight...
  • Reply 70 of 86
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

Excellent! Thanks.

Just sent you a PM.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    steste Posts: 119member
    I recently moved back to Britain from the United States. Quite frustrating that I haven't been unable to use my iPhone as anything other than a multimedia device for the last two months. I can't afford a new 3G model right now, so I jailbroke my first-gen model using the iPhone Dev Team's Pwnage Tool 2.0. It took a few tries to get it working -- some decent instructions for non-hacker geeks would've been useful -- but in the end it works perfectly. For now, it has an Orange pay-as-you-go SIM in it.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I recently moved back to Britain from the United States. Quite frustrating that I haven't been unable to use my iPhone as anything other than a multimedia device for the last two months. I can't afford a new 3G model right now, so I jailbroke my first-gen model using the iPhone Dev Team's Pwnage Tool 2.0. It took a few tries to get it working -- some decent instructions for non-hacker geeks would've been useful -- but in the end it works perfectly. For now, it has an Orange pay-as-you-go SIM in it.

The app does a great job of walking you through the process, but you must understand that it was just released a few days ago. Even then there were many tutorials made up if read through the comments on their blog.

Why weren't you able to use it as a phone for the months prior to the Pwnage 2.0.1 Jailbreak/unlock? Their were plenty of apps that will jailbreak and unlock the 1.1.4 firmware.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:

The app does a great job of walking you through the process, but you must understand that it was just released a few days ago. Even then there were many tutorials made up if read through the comments on their blog.

Why weren't you able to use it as a phone for the months prior to the Pwnage 2.0.1 Jailbreak/unlock? Their were plenty of apps that will jailbreak and unlock the 1.1.4 firmware.

Don't get me wrong. The Pwnage Tool was very good, but I feel it could've been a bit more user-friendly for the average Joe that doesn't follow this stuff on a day-to-day basis.

Yes, more detailed instructions were to be found on the Dev Team's blog, but with over 500 comments in the first few hours, it took some wading through before I found them. Linking those instructions to the original post would have yielded faster results.

Also, I had -- and still have -- no idea what the bl39 and bl46 files were for. All I know is that the Pwnage Tool couldn't find them on my computer so I had to download them from another source. A little explanation goes a long way in such situations.

As for your second comment, have you ever moved countries? I have, three times, and let me tell you, there's more to worry about in the initial weeks than jailbreaking one's iPhone. Once I was in a position to do so, it seemed prudent to wait for the imminent release of firmware update 2.0.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    deleted
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Vodafone, Optus and Telstra all offer unlocking options in Australia. In combination with a prepaid deal or a cheap (throw-away) contract, it puts the iPhone 3G costs at around A$950 including tax (which is about US$920). Optus allows unlocking for free if you're on a contract.

The non-subsidized cost of the iPhone is going to be a major hurdle for Apple if they're going to release a prepaid version of the iPhone in the US. American consumers aren't ready for that type of cash layout yet.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone_Prepaid View Post

The non-subsidized cost of the iPhone is going to be a major hurdle for Apple if they're going to release a prepaid version of the iPhone in the US. American consumers aren't ready for that type of cash layout yet.

But the rest of the world is. This is what Apple seems to forget. There are other markets that more mature in some aspects.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    It might not cost as much as you think.

http://www.ohmac.co.uk/iphone/iphone.php

£239/£319 when it becomes available on PAYG on O2 UK.

Does anyone know if the dev team is any closer to unlocking iphone 3g to other networks?
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Does anyone know if the dev team is any closer to unlocking iphone 3g to other networks?

To paraphrase Sapprobaby, "Zibri from Ziphone says an unlock for the 3G will be very hard as it's a totally new baseband. He said Apple was just playing the first time. They were not serious. Apple left holes. This time, there are no holes. He said a real hack might be impossible and that users might have to go with SIM spoofing solutions."

Pwnage Team has said something similar.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Wow so we may never even see an unlocked iphone 3g? Shame but good for Apple. Is SIM spoofing like hypersim on the JP phones?
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Wow so we may never even see an unlocked iphone 3g? Shame but good for Apple. Is SIM spoofing like hypersim on the JP phones?

My friend solipsism is correct. Zibri has another idea but he did not go to deep but from what I understand it would be interesting. There is mucho bad blood between The DevTeam and Zibri, and GeoHot and Gray but all in all these were the guys that made it happen. I would be willing to bet they are just as smart as any Apple developer, but Apple has the keys and the locks, so an unlock via software is unlikely. There is Yessim and it works from what I hear.