Steve Jobs in good health following second surgery - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Jobs is reassuring some of his closest associates that rumors of his health are greatly exaggerated, but is telling those same people that he underwent a procedure this year related to his weight loss, the New York Times is reporting.

"[In] recent weeks, Mr. Jobs has reassured several people that he is doing well and that four years after a successful operation to treat a rare form of pancreatic cancer, he is cancer free," the paper said.

However, the Apple chief executive has reportedly admitted to some of those people that he had a surgical procedure earlier this year to address an issue that was causing him to lose weight.

More specifically, the Times cites unnamed sources who say Jobs has been battling a nutritional problem in the wake of his surgery, which medical descriptions say may lead to weight and energy loss.

Jobs's health has been a renewed focus as of late, particularly on Wall Street, with fund managers and other large Apple investors expressing concern that the company co-founder's cancer may have recently returned.

Much of that fear stemmed from Jobs' gaunt appearance during Apple's developers conference last month and at other recent engagements related to the launch of his firm's new iPhone 3G handset.

Immediately following the conference, an Apple spokesperson said that a "common bug" had left Jobs feeling a little under the weather, but that he was taking antibiotics for treatment.

In its report Wednesday, the Times cited an industry executive who said Jobs ran a high fever in the week leading up to the developers conference and had considered canceling his appearance due to the illness. Ultimately, the chief executive decided to make good on his long-standing commitment to Apple's faithful and personally take the wraps off the company's second-generation mobile handset.

Uncertainty over Jobs's condition came to a head earlier this week when speculative news reports compelled Lehman Brothers analyst Ben Reitzes to respectfully ask Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer to make an official statement on the matter during the company's quarterly conference call.

"Ben, Steve loves Apple," Oppenheimer said. "He serves as the CEO at the pleasure of Apple?s Board and has no plans to leave Apple. Steve?s health is a private matter."

In the two hours surrounding the call, shares of Apple tumbled more than 10 percent. There's a debate, however, about how much of an impact Jobs' health had on the decline, given that Oppenheimer's comments, or lack thereof, on the matter came around the same time he braced analysts for significant declines in the company's gross margin through fiscal 2009.

Jobs, who is keeping his own counsel on the issue of a successor should he ever have to leave the company, is said to have taken a well-deserved vacation this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Why's this being reported in the New York Times? I should think the whores over at thestreet.com would be the first to break this.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Hope Steve really does take a break and gives himself time to recover - you can't buy good health. I think he needs to keep his hand in at Apple to give him focus and energy but must not overdo it.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Was his procedure performed with an iProd?

He'll bounce back- he has a lot more to give us.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I always wish Steve the best. His health is his business, and in a way I wish people would cease reporting about it, and let him be.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    When you get spin like this, you know its bad.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    boydbmeboydbme Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I always wish Steve the best. His health is his business, and in a way I wish people would cease reporting about it, and let him be.

We need a viral youtube video of some Chris Crocker character.. "leave Steve ALONE!!"

but seriously.. give the man a break, I agree.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boydbme View Post

We need a viral youtube video of some Chris Crocker character.. "leave Steve ALONE!!"

but seriously.. give the man a break, I agree.

LOL...I never thought of it that way, and now I can't get that image out my head with that girl...there goes my day!
  • Reply 8 of 64
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Man, stock goes up 13% in town days after the initial "oh crap" of the report. If only I had enough spare cash to capitalize on this kind of stuff
  • Reply 9 of 64
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And weight issues are in fact common after successful treatment for that type of cancer, right?
  • Reply 10 of 64
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:

LOL...I never thought of it that way, and now I can't get that image out my head with that girl...there goes my day!

Wasn't it a dude saying "Leave Brittany Alone"? I never even saw it but for small clips but I thought it was a guy...
  • Reply 11 of 64
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Man, stock goes up 13% in town days after the initial "oh crap" of the report. If only I had enough spare cash to capitalize on this kind of stuff

even if you have lots spare cash, with Day Trading, you win one day you lose one day,,,

do not know who made million out of the last few days chaos

at least we know PRODUCT TRANSITION would not announced next week until Jobs returned from vacation
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wasn't it a dude saying "Leave Brittany Alone"? I never even saw it but for small clips but I thought it was a guy...

It was a young lady who started it (man, I wish I could that image out of my mind) and then it was imitated by several comedians.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    Diverticulitis? Rest and a good diet. We'll have years to benefit from Steve's mind and good health.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    The day after Steve Jobs leaves Apple would be the end of an era in computing history, stock holders, media, internauts, etc.. will be faced with the dilema of "growing up" and start doing something for themselves other that push people to their graves.. Steve Jobs will become a legend.. a god.. hopefully the new generation to come will have the courage to embark in new proyects, in new ideas, think for yourself, socrates said.. when I think of the return of jobs to apple as "gift" from the electronic gods or something, 10 years later he´s still here and still working his ass off for all of you to write bullshit about it, 99.99% idiots, that´s the percentage that more or less i think there are on this planet, with only 0.01% a little less idiotic, that´s all..

nobody wants steve gone, and for those who do:

99.99% you fucking idiots!!!

• Reply 15 of 64
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And weight issues are in fact common after successful treatment for that type of cancer, right?

Yep, He had the whipple procedure which can cause weight loss.

C.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

It was a young lady who started it (man, I wish I could that image out of my mind) and then it was imitated by several comedians.

Chris Crocker is a guy, and definitely not a comedian. He's just a train wreck.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Chris Crocker is a guy, and definitely not a comedian. He's just a train wreck.

Leave Chris Crocker alone! What were his parents thinking giving him a name like that? Don't you think he's been through enough? Leave him alone!
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Only a matter of time till Jobs is dead
  • Reply 19 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

Only a matter of time till Jobs is dead

Jobs are dead in America- ask any economist, just don't ask George W. Bush.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    aheneenaheneen Posts: 75member
    While we all know Jobs is the driving force at Apple, I'm sure the company would continue success after him. After his first health scare, I'm sure there's a decent plan of succession. I don't know that any of Apple's chief officers are all that bad. Sure we wish him the best with his health and we'd certainly miss him, but I really don't think an Apple w/o Steve would be as bad as everyone predicts in the short run and in the long run a little change just might be a good thing. I read an interesting little article a few days ago about succession: http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/17/smal...ex.htm?cnn=yes