iPhone 3G without data plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is it possible to get the iPhone 3g from AT&T without the data plan and only the $39.99 voice plan?

Has anyone been able to do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

Is it possible to get the iPhone 3g from AT&T without the data plan and only the $39.99 voice plan?

Nope the only way to do it would be to fully jail break it and put it on T-mobile which nobody has done with the 3G yet. You must have the data plan.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

Sure - you can do that. Here's what you do. Go and get an iphone with the 2 year contract with the data plan. Pay on it for a month and then pay the $175 cancellation fee to ATT. Then you have a phone not restricted to the plan. Now take that phone and add it as a second line to someone else's contract - like your wife's. Viola!

I have an Iphone on my wife's plan as a second phone and I did NOT have to sign on to the contract - although I am paying for the data plan - which I had to to get the phone. Hope that makes sense!
  • Reply 3 of 72
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog© View Post

Sure - you can do that. Here's what you do. Go and get an iphone with the 2 year contract with the data plan. Pay on it for a month and then pay the $175 cancellation fee to ATT. Then you have a phone not restricted to the plan. Now take that phone and add it as a second line to someone else's contract - like your wife's. Viola!

I have an Iphone on my wife's plan as a second phone and I did NOT have to sign on to the contract - although I am paying for the data plan - which I had to to get the phone. Hope that makes sense!

That seems somewhat extreme and you're still playing the data plan and your family is still under contract. I guess you can get this work with the family plan, which is what you did, but you can't get it to work on an individual plan. If you'll be a sole user and the iPhone is the sole phone I don't think you have the option of setting up the phone without the data plan.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog© View Post

What do you mean? If you use an existing iphone, and add it to an existing contract, there isn't a 2-year contract?
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

What do you mean? If you use an existing iphone, and add it to an existing contract, there isn't a 2-year contract?

The point here is to pay the cancellation fee to ATT for the 2 year contract - which they will make you get in order to get the phone. Now you have a phone not under contract. At that point you can add that phone as a second line to someone else's contract - WITHOUT THE 2 YEAR REQUIREMENT-AND WITHOUT THE DATA PLAN. I am not on the "family" plan. We have the cheapest plan available - $39.95, and just added a second line for an additional $9.99. When I first did that - I had a blackberry - and just replaced the sim card. You would be doing the same thing - only using the new sim in the iphone (they don't even have to know what phone you are adding). At that time - we were on a month to month contract.

We are now on exactly the same plan - but to get the phone - we upgraded one line to the data plan to get the phone and signed the 2 year contract. Now - conceivably - if my wife for instance wanted to move to t-mobile - I could pay the $175 to get out of the two year agreement and then open a new account IN MY NAME with ATT and be free to do as I wish.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    I had trouble with my iphone 3g activation and 1.5 hrs of calling and waiting to get it resolved with ATT, apple store manager ended up activation my iphone 3g manually and I did not get the data plan or the 2 year contract.

I found that out when I walked out of the store and I did not get data. I had to call 611 and have it set up with ATT which they found strange that I was not set up with 2yr contract nor the data plan required with new iphone 3g. It only took 3 minutes to get it all set up with ATT customer service. I am still wondering why it took so long to get the phone to set up from the apple store........

perhaps you can also activate your iphone manually? But, what good is an iphone without data service?
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

But, what good is an iphone without data service?

Ultimately - that's the rub. I guess if you lived in New York or SF and there hot spots all over the city - it would make sense not to have the data plan - but if you travel at all and are using the phone for business - then you'll see that most of the network isn't 3g anyway - and for me I am SO tired of chasing wireless hot spots with my laptop, that I just figured I'd eat the data plan and just enjoy it for those times when I really need it - even over the edge network. One lost sale for me would pay the data plan for 4 years - kind of a no brainer there...
  • Reply 8 of 72
    We have a three line family plan. Two of the phones are iPhones and one is a Blackberry with no data plan on it. I just called AT&T and cancelled the iphone plan. So in their minds I have one iPhone line and a Blackberry phone with no data for 9.99. Not so. I put the SIM from the old Blackberry into the iPhone and it works. I specifically told the AT&T person to cancel all data on that Blackberry "in case the kids get hold of it and incur huge internet charges". She assured me it was cancelled and it was impossible to get data on it. Well, the iPhone is working. I cannot get on the web but it makes calls on AT&T service. So now I have a family talk plan with two iPhones and one of the iPhones is only costing 9.99 a month. Hope this helps someone. This really confirms my suspicions is that they cannot tell what phone you are using, only what sim you are using. iPhone works with the SIM from the Blackberry cause it was a new 3G SIM. But now data is turned off on that account and the iPhone works with it. NIiiiiice!
  • Reply 9 of 72
    I have an iphone with no data plan, I even called Rogers to ensure my present bar to downloading was still in place........it was but not actually doing anything !

I got a call from a Rogers rep asking if I was aware my iphone was 'downloading' data, I was not, as I made it plain I had data barred. The rep agreed that my account was indeed barred, but then explained that ( in the best british rail kind of way) it was the 'wrong kind of bar'.......WTF ??? So hit me with it I said, what have I downloaded? Turns out I 'downloaded' 1400 c$ worth of data ( I presume this is at some heinous non plan rate, but even of it wasn't, thats some downloading! Where was the call from Rogers before today?).

What also makes me laugh was that I even called Rogers a week after getting the thing, to inform them that I was able to download via the stock and weather apps, and was told that rest assured, I really couldn't be doing this, I must be getting a weak WiFi signal from somewhere, I then explained that even Apple aren't that clever, as the WiFi was turned off !!

Needless to say, I am getting this credited back to my account and a new iphone bar that will truly ban data downloading except via Wi-Fi hotspots.

So while you may think you have barred your sim/phone from downloading, it seems that the iphone can carry on downloading regardless of that.

The final thing to say is that the rep also noted mine wasn't the only iphone affected, others are as well, so if your on Rogers and not on a data plan, expect a call.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    See... this is what I don't get. If what you want is WiFi internet and phone calling, why not just have a regular full-featured phone and an iPod Touch? Is it just to save that minimal amount of space of having the second small device?

As a phone without data, there are hundreds of phones that work better than the iPhone, with better features and better performance. The iPhone becomes an attractive device only because of the integration of the phone features with the data features.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    I don't want 2 devices, nor do I want to use anything but itunes, call me lazy, but an iphone happens to suit my needs, I can still use WiFi hotspots, which are plentiful in Toronto...I have never needed to download data, just because I can, doesn't mean I should.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    HI,

Are you still able to use iphone without the data plan? Can't AT&T representative tell when you call them?

Also, is it necessary to use a different SIM than one AT&T gives with the iphone to avoid the data plan?

Thanks,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

We have a three line family plan. Two of the phones are iPhones and one is a Blackberry with no data plan on it. I just called AT&T and cancelled the iphone plan. So in their minds I have one iPhone line and a Blackberry phone with no data for 9.99. Not so. I put the SIM from the old Blackberry into the iPhone and it works. I specifically told the AT&T person to cancel all data on that Blackberry "in case the kids get hold of it and incur huge internet charges". She assured me it was cancelled and it was impossible to get data on it. Well, the iPhone is working. I cannot get on the web but it makes calls on AT&T service. So now I have a family talk plan with two iPhones and one of the iPhones is only costing 9.99 a month. Hope this helps someone. This really confirms my suspicions is that they cannot tell what phone you are using, only what sim you are using. iPhone works with the SIM from the Blackberry cause it was a new 3G SIM. But now data is turned off on that account and the iPhone works with it. NIiiiiice!

• Reply 13 of 72
    i was wondering if i have an iphone and dont buy a data plan can i just use it for calling and recieving calls and texts in, which in my plan now i can, and thats all i use it for, can i use it without getting charged or without a plan,
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Hi, I love 3G iPhone. I bought my 3G iPhone from Greece last month. It has really wonderful features, I enjoy it. You can contact to good person who can help you out. Here is his email ID [email protected].

• Reply 15 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    When the iPhone 3G came out in Australia some people were stupid enough to buy them on non data plans, then they'd go on sensationalist TV shows whining about multi-thousand dollar bills.

An iPhone without data is like a car without petrol, fairly useless.

Maybe if there were more wifi hotspots here it would be different, but their aren't.

P.S. The data adds $A20 a month to the plans.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    my issue is not that i don't want a data plan, I already have one. The problem is that i don't want to pay the apple tax to get the iphone data plan. i've had unlimited data plan for years. On my account its $35 for unlimited data & text. my wifes account it's $20 for unlimited data and text. we are both on the HTC tilt right now but my wife likes the Iphone. if I "upgrade" to an iphone, i lose her $20 plan and have to pay $50 for the iphone data & text (forever- see att site "Please note: Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future." ). This is a lame scam from both parties! has anybody been able to keep their old data plan with an iphone?
  • Reply 17 of 72
    i9charmi9charm Posts: 1member
    Quote:

How about Wi-Fi? 3G data is not working you said. Then Wi-Fi should work, right?
  • Reply 18 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingerick View Post

my issue is not that i don't want a data plan, I already have one. The problem is that i don't want to pay the apple tax to get the iphone data plan. i've had unlimited data plan for years. On my account its $35 for unlimited data & text. my wifes account it's $20 for unlimited data and text. we are both on the HTC tilt right now but my wife likes the Iphone. if I "upgrade" to an iphone, i lose her $20 plan and have to pay $50 for the iphone data & text (forever- see att site "Please note: Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future." ). This is a lame scam from both parties! has anybody been able to keep their old data plan with an iphone?

I'm sorry, this is a scam how? Because one product's plan is more expensive than another? As its been since the beginning of mobile phones?

Try again.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:

Is this method still working without accidental data charges? I have read that AT&T will be able to pick up what kind of phone you are using and start sending you annoying emails saying you must have a data plan and threatening to charge you per unintended use. Are you still using your iphone 3g without a data plan? Thanks!
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Quote:

I meant to say they send annoying text messages with threats to charge you. Which brings up another issue. Are you able to send and receive unlimited text messages on the non-data plan iphone? Thanks!