Microsoft sets sights on providing an Apple-like experience

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    i want to ask a fair question, how much Microsoft invested (investing) in Apple? any idea?
  • Reply 42 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpatton View Post

From the Memo: "Looking ahead, I see an incredibly bright future for our company. As I said at the June 27th Town Hall for Bill, we are the best in the world at doing software..."

Right, that's why they're currently dropping millions on an ad campaign that can be summed up with the tagline, "Windows Vista: It sucks less now!"

~Philly
  • Reply 43 of 118
    orion99orion99 Posts: 11member
    More than two years ago there was the following piece on Apple's end to end model leading to a much better user experience versus PCs running Windows:

Apple's End-To-End Model Leads to Innovation and User Experience

Funny to it took Redmond so long to realize this fact.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    LOL...Microsoft had PocketPC out for years and decided to copy the iPod by developing the Zune...just as Apple was designing the iPhone!

Just...so...idiotic.

If Microsoft had any vision, they would have integrated Zune into their Windows Mobile platform. Instead, they felt they had to copy the iPod instead of improving their PDA-phone experience.

Now they've got to go and create yet another platform that will likely combine Windows mobile and Zune, and it will of course break all the legacy windows mobile software, which will sink even more R&D dollars away from developers as they all revise their software. And this is supposed to be providing choice? I'll go for user experience any day.

Best of all, they are now behind Apple, and I think it's already too late. They could have beat Apple out of this market, but instead went BACKWARDS with the Zune idea.

I can't believe I sank 15 years of my life on Windows and Windows Mobile platforms.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

The video is here...best part is where he says, paraphrasing... 'they have their strategy, we have ours...we like ours'

Hmmm.....sounds more and more like he like Apple's strategy now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

Very good that.

Reporter to CEO of Lada Motor cars: "So what did you think when you saw the new BMW 3-Series"?

Lada CEO: "Whahoooaaa i thought £30,000 for a motor car, a fully subsidised motor car with a warranty. Hey that's got to be the most expensive car on the planet. Look, they have their car but we got ours. We got an engine, a steering wheel, 4 wheels and some seats you know and we sold millions and millions of these during the cold war and they ain't sold any yet."

Priceless

PS: Along with their PC's can anybody tell me when Microshit started making phones?? Must be that Vaporware that they keep going on about. What a Tosser!!
  • Reply 46 of 118
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience."

This is a pretty interesting statement. I think Ballmer almost gets it.

1) From a user perspective, I don't think the Mac is at all narrow; it is consistent.

2) The choice that Windows provides, in terms of hardware, is valuable. What other choice, provided by MS, does the user get?

Now, from a developer perspective, his comments make more sense.

3) If you want to develop for a Mac, you use Cocoa and Objective-C. Very complete, but that's just about it.

4) On a PC, you have C++, C# .NET, VB .NET, VBA, etc. See - CHOICES!!!

"In Windows, the choice makes YOU!" It seems to me, the selection of development language depends on your project. I started using VBA with Excel and Access. Then I made the transition to VB .NET, and now I'm working with C# .NET. I'd hardly say I mastered any of them, after several years.

5) Furthermore, there are often several APIs that you can use to accomplish the same task. See - CHOICES!!!

I've had a hell of a time figuring out how to work with databases. There are several different APIs that can be used, and they can't be mixed. ADO and DAO, I think. I've never been able to keep them straight. Which should I use, and why? Searching for help usually gets me an example that looks perfect, but after several hours I discover it's the wrong kind. More like DOA to me...

While this choice is perceived as value, it is so messy and confusing that it's detrimental to the novice and mid-level programmer.

Considering "Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!", this is clearly where his mind is at, and this is a good thing to focus future Windows development.

But what about the users?
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Errrrr... I'll say good for Microsoft. Apple and os x isn't for everybody, but the experience you get from an Apple product is.

But this will never happen. There are to many Windows users that consider their computer to be no more than another appliance. And there are just to many cooks in the soup to make this feasible. There's no way in hell, HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc etc etc, are going to come together and move as one efficient machine, and provide a unified user experience.

Microsoft needs to focus their energy on making Windows an innovative driving force to be reckoned with. I hope they can do this, because OS X gets better every time they do.
  • Reply 48 of 118
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

30-to-1? What fantasy world does he live in where Apple has 3 percent market share and Windows 97%?

You have to remember he's referring to sales, not marketshare. If PCs are replaced two or three times as often as Macs are, then there actually are 30x as many PCs being sold.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    Ballmer is the biggest PUTZ in the business world. They may be bigger than Apple... but their products still SUCK...

I'd love to hear him say, "We've finally decided that we will start making products that don't SUCK"....

What a lard-ass, buffoon!!!

Ve Vill all ZUNE be Zquirting our iphones, ipods, & macs in zee trash for Zee new nanoflacids of Ze Ballmer....

Ballmer is Zo Zo Zune, yes?
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

You have to remember he's referring to sales, not marketshare. If PCs are replaced two or three times as often as Macs are, then there actually are 30x as many PCs being sold.

I may be wrong here, and I know Apple has a long way to go .... but Doesn't Apple have quite a bit more than a 3% market share..... I thought we were up to 6 or so now.... with laptops being far beyond that.....

just my 2 cents since the dude who originally wrote the message you quoted deleted his message.....

Laterz

Z
  • Reply 51 of 118
    Balmer: "You can get a Motorola Qphone for $99 dollars"

Whohahahaha!! You can get an iPhone 3G for £99 pounds now and i got one!!! Whohahahhahahaha!!!
  • Reply 52 of 118
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Step 1. Buy YHOO

Step 2. Buy a Mac

Step 3. THERE IS NO STEP 3!!!
  • Reply 53 of 118
    pixelnycpixelnyc Posts: 19member
    poop!
  • Reply 54 of 118
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyMJS

...is the one they should copy the most: Admit their OS isn't cutting it anymore, build a new one from scratch, and add legacy support for the old OS into the new one for a few years until application developers make the transition from old-and-busted Windows to new-hotness Windows.

Quote:

Posted by Amerist

I couldn't agree more. When that happens, they might get me to start using Windows again. Until then, I'm an Apple fanboy and I'm not ashamed to prove it.

Amerist, I second the motion. I'd like to see a 'new and improved' Windows, too. Maybe then, Apple would listen more closely to what it's users are asking, no, pleading for. Now, Apple is too arrogant, knowing it's so much better than the competition.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyMJS

...is the one they should copy the most: Admit their OS isn't cutting it anymore, build a new one from scratch, and add legacy support for the old OS into the new one for a few years until application developers make the transition from old-and-busted Windows to new-hotness Windows.

Quote:

Posted by Amerist

I couldn't agree more. When that happens, they might get me to start using Windows again. Until then, I'm an Apple fanboy and I'm not ashamed to prove it.

Amerist, I second the motion. I'd like to see a 'new and improved' Windows, too. Maybe then, Apple would listen more closely to what it's users are asking, no, pleading for. Now, Apple is too arrogant, knowing it's so much better than the competition.

In the meantime will corporate America be stuck in a Windows XP malaise?
  • Reply 56 of 118
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Going forward, Ballmer said Microsoft will be changing the way it works with hardware vendors to mimic the experience offered by the Mac maker in which there will be "absolutely no compromises." His plan calls for a similar approach in the mobile phone arena, where he hopes the company can create "great end-to-end experiences" akin to that afforded by Apple's closed ecosystem, where it maintains tight control of nearly every aspect of a product's design.

Does "work with hardware vendors" mean "dictate to hardware vendors"?

How else will MSFT get "tight control of nearly every aspect of a product's design"?

I wonder if hardware manufacturers will be willing to give up control of design

while retaining all the risk of the product failing.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Quote:

Maybe then, Apple would listen more closely to what it's users are asking, no, pleading for. Now, Apple is too arrogant, knowing it's so much better than the competition.

You mean what SOME users are whining about! Poor baby, is Apple ignoring you little cries? \
  • Reply 58 of 118
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    yes, about those lingering doubts......

I generally do not pass up an opportunity to dis Microsoft and or Ballmer, but this time I will just state the obvious and move on:

The problem is, Microsoft is identified not only by it's marginal software products, but by the 2nd rate clowns who put it in computers, such as Dell, Gateway (RIP), Lenovo, and whoever.

Here is a true story: I bought a new Dell Inspirion (what idot thinks up these names?) so I could run MS Streets and Trips, complete with Microsoft gps device.

It took 3 tries to install the software. Finally, it refused to recognize the gps device, even tho it was made by the company who made the software. That's when I knew this company was totally worthless.

Dell is on a shelf in the garage, Streets and Trips is in a landfill, and never will I buy anything from any of these incompetent dimwits ever again.
  • Reply 59 of 118
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

What are they talking about, the R&D for this device has already been completed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRLRjKCGHek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRKIDdIaFyE&NR=1
  • Reply 60 of 118
    So Steve Balmer repeatable laughs at Apple, and then admits that MS need to be more like Apple.

Doesn't that prove that Apple are better.