Apple board obligated to disclose material changes in Jobs' health

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Editor: would you please correct this to 'rumors of his ILL health' (second time this has appeared), as 'rumors of his health' makes no sense and is not in fact what was written in the Times article.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Bring on the woz!!!! The other, other steve.

Ps...leave steve jobs alone...pleezze

lol
  • Reply 23 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

- Niel Degrasse Tyson -

I see someone watches The Universe
  • Reply 24 of 59
    I find it funny/scary that this whole situation actually mirrors the tale of the golden goose!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Bring on the woz!!!! The other, other steve.

Ps...leave steve jobs alone...pleezze

lol

• Reply 25 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Steve's health is his own business. His responsibilities likely include making sure the company can survive his loss or departure... which would be more than most CEOs have done. Hey, he's not running for president of the US.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve's health is his own business. His responsibilities likely include making sure the company can survive his loss or departure... which would be more than most CEOs have done. Hey, he's not running for president of the US.

Actually he is a public figure and his health is material to Apple. The world does have the right to know if it materially affects his ability to perform as CEO of Apple. That aside, I am glad he is doing well as are all of our toys. I can not wait to see what he and Apple have in store for us all this fall.

Peace. :-)
  • Reply 27 of 59
    wodsterwodster Posts: 4member
    Gene Munster is doing the right thing to protect his investment clients, and his reputation. He is establishing that Apple's refusal to comment on something that would make a difference in the value of the stock to shareholders is legally significant. This would put shareholders in a different position down the road if we learn that SJ was in fact sick, and there would be a major lawsuit action. I'm also sure that the fact that Apple has over 20 billion in cash is also something that makes Munster more comfortable keeping his $250 stock target intact!
  • Reply 28 of 59
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I wish Steve all the best. I'm praying for him.

I do not, however, expect that he owes me or anyone else any explanation of his private business.

Besides that, I have complete confidence that if his health really were as bad as the rumors, that he would already have a well guarded transition plan in place should it be needed.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    gumashowgumashow Posts: 70member
    I'm not sure everyone in this country realizes how delicate and serious a matter it is regarding disclosure or one's medical records. We are all protected by HIPAA, just poke around on the web for info but here's a start: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/m2e411a1.htm
  • Reply 30 of 59
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    This is simply designed to allay concerns. Jobs has no obligation to tell the board much till he can't continue. If it happens, it will all be at the last minute.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm up for standing in for Jobs, pick me, pick me. I have vision coming out of my ass...

Does that make you a TriClops?
  • Reply 32 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What, this Munster guy is now a corporate governance expert!

A far as I know, as long as the board has a clear succession plan, and they've weighed the pros and the cons of Jobs' staying on under the current circumstances (and possibly got the opinion of his physician), they are "obligated to disclose" nothing "about Jobs' health."

This sounds to me like like b-s.

Any experts in the forum who can weigh in?
  • Reply 33 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wodster View Post

Gene Munster is doing the right thing to protect his investment clients, and his reputation. He is establishing that Apple's refusal to comment on something that would make a difference in the value of the stock to shareholders is legally significant. This would put shareholders in a different position down the road if we learn that SJ was in fact sick, and there would be a major lawsuit action. I'm also sure that the fact that Apple has over 20 billion in cash is also something that makes Munster more comfortable keeping his $250 stock target intact!

Sorry. His job is to simply say: "APPL is worth X with Steve and Y without."

No one has appointed him protagonist for Apple's shareholders
  • Reply 34 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm up for standing in for Jobs, pick me, pick me. I have vision coming out of my ass...

Switched places with your mouth did it?

Concerning the health of the CEO, it's clear that Steve has been a huge driving force in the success of Apple. This is a very bad thing IMO. In business, it's usually faceless corporations that survive because they have nothing to hold up except an undying brand name. The stronger the tie between Apple and Steve, the harder the hit when he will inevitably go. Apple needs to be seen to do well without him before that time comes.

He has taken less and less of a role in events but numbers of attendees have dropped significantly at events when he doesn't appear. Sooner or later people need to adjust to Apple without him.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Comment from one of the posts:

"I'm up for standing in for Jobs, pick me, pick me. I have vision coming out of my ass..."

That is how Ballmer got his job with that exact line....and no kidding...that is how Vista came to life!

Just sayin'
  • Reply 36 of 59
    not fsjnot fsj Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Investment bank Piper Jaffray is assuring Apple investors Friday that the company's leadership would be required to disclose in a timely fashion any changes that would prevent Steve Jobs from maintaining his role as chief executive.

"We believe Steve Jobs commands attention from investors given his high profile as founder of the company and his hands-on approach to Apple's products," wrote analyst Gene Munster. "As such, we believe that Apple's board has a responsibility to disclose any changes that may impede him to continue to serve."

Specifically, Munster cited the nature of Jobs' public appearances and his active participation in the development of products like Macs and iPhones as some of the more noteworthy qualities that make him material to the company.

Similarly, the analyst said, one of the company's most competitive advantages is its executive team as a whole, who "share a collective track record of consistently outpacing their competitors in terms of hardware and software innovation coupled with robust product marketing and financial discipline."

Given his level of involvement and the fact that he is a cancer survivor, Apple shareholders have remained focused on Jobs' capacity to continue to serve as the company's leader.

During Apple's quarterly conference call Monday, chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer was asked to comment on status of Jobs' health given a news report by the New York Post that renewed focus on the matter. He refused to do so, however, citing the co-founder's right to privacy, which in turn weighed on Apple shares.

Since then, however, the New York Times has reported that Jobs is actively reassuring some of his closest associates that rumors of his health are greatly exaggerated.

Given the due responsibility of Apple's board and the fact that no announcements have been made to date, Munster told clients there is "no reason to believe that Steve Jobs will not continue to serve as Apple's CEO."

As such, the analyst maintained his Buy rating and $250 price target on shares of the Cupertino-based company.

We believe Steve Jobs commands attention from investors given his high profile as founder of the company and his hands-on approach to Apple's products," wrote analyst Gene Munster. "As such, we believe that Apple's board has a responsibility to disclose any changes that may impede him to continue to serve."

Munster is maybe the most accurate and respected analyst following Apples business developement. His public opinion has now put the BoD on notice what affected shareholders deserve to expect in the way of notice regarding Jobs ability to lead Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    The headline is inaccurate. The *analyst* *believes* that the board has the responsibility to divulge. Big difference!
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not FSJ View Post

Munster is maybe the most accurate and respected analyst following Apples business developement. His public opinion has now put the BoD on notice what affected shareholders deserve to expect in the way of notice regarding Jobs ability to lead Apple.

Did you read any of the concerns aired in this thread?
  • Reply 39 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see someone watches The Universe

Maybe he uses that line often, I saw it on yesterday's Nova Science Now. Anyway, something else to add to my Netflix Queue.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe he uses that line often, I saw it on yesterday's Nova Science Now.

I forget about NOVA: ScienceNOW. I need to DL his week's episode.