Copy & Paste references spotted in existing iPhone frameworks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One developer burning the midnight oil has stumbled upon references to copy and paste in the frameworks of Apple's first beta of iPhone Software 2.1, potentially offering new hope for one of the most requested and conspicuously absent features of the company's mobile software.

The findings, contained within the English-language 'Localizable.strings' file located in 'System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit.framework' are also accompanied by references to the Spotlight search, text-to-speech, file uploads, and the Finder.

Therefore, it's unclear whether those references represent the groundwork for upcoming iPhone features or simply exists as carryovers from the WebKit frameworks used to develop applications for the Mac and Windows PCs.

Other findings by the same developer include preferences to an Apple MobileRadio application, which has also yet to surface.

When asked earlier this month about the absence of copy and paste functionality in the iPhone software, Apple vice president of product marketing Greg Woswiak said the feature was not a priority and that engineers simply hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other findings by the same developer include preferences to an Apple MobileRadio application, which has also yet to surface.

I would love to see iTunes Radio available on the iPhone.

AOL Radio has a very limited selection.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    casper3casper3 Posts: 14member
    All we really want is Finder and cut/copy/paste... Give it to us, Apple, in some future software update!
  • Reply 3 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I would love to see iTunes Radio available on the iPhone.

AOL Radio has a very limited selection.

Even if it can't run in the background, syncing the iTunes Radio stations would be a nice option over the other App Store radio stations.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casper3 View Post

All we really want is Finder and cut/copy/paste... Give it to us, Apple, in some future software update!

What do you need Finder for?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    "...and that engineers simply hadn't gotten around to it yet."

It just kills me how sneaky AAPL is!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Ironically, just blogged on this gap in a post called 'iPhone's Lingering Raspberry.'

In it I concluded that I can't take my iPod touch seriously as a typing/text-based input device until I can 'save drafts' and do 'copy and paste.'

The main logic is what's the point if you can not easily edit your words, concluding that my Blackberry 7130 isn't going anywhere as a result.

Mark
  • Reply 7 of 57
    it turns out that Copy & Paste is just going to be another iPhone video game, like Chutes & Ladders and Hide & Seek.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

it turns out that Copy & Paste is just going to be another iPhone video game, like Chutes & Ladders and Hide & Seek.

After reading the ideas people have for implementing the feature (including mine, even though I think it's the best one) it might take a Copy&Paste video game to improve our dexterity enough to use the feature on a capacitance touch screen. Once you reach a certain level the feature opens up on the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    It's probably localizable strings taken from the Mac and left over. I've seen a lot of these in somewhere the NDA forbids me to say
  • Reply 10 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

Ironically, just blogged on this gap in a post called 'iPhone's Lingering Raspberry.'

In it I concluded that I can't take my iPod touch seriously as a typing/text-based input device until I can 'save drafts' and do 'copy and paste.'

The main logic is what's the point if you can not easily edit your words, concluding that my Blackberry 7130 isn't going anywhere as a result.

Mark

That's not ironic. It's coincidental.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's a common colloquial usage, I think the linguistic definition is all but dead. The lexicographers will undoubtedly resist, but eventually it will make it in as an alternative definition.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My semantic, bad. ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 57
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In colloquial usage I think the linguistic definition is all but dead. The lexicographers will resist it but eventually it will make it in as an alternative definition as it is commonly used.

Yep... Another example that comes to mind is the use of the word "real" being used where it should be "really" - I have no idea when that happened but I've noticed quite a bit lately. I.E. "I'm real tired" seems to be acceptable in most places - I've even seen it pop up in articles written by people who are, suppose to be, accomplished journalists!
  • Reply 14 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Even if it can't run in the background, syncing the iTunes Radio stations would be a nice option over the other App Store radio stations.

AppleTV just got it, maybe your next.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Ironically, I really need copy/paste.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    One would surmise this "copy & paste" would have been included with the inception of the iphone,

As it was built from the Mac OS from the begining...

Think back.....copy & paste was always a part of the Mac OS.

IMHO I believe Apple left it out...on purpose. So people can bitch and complain about it...And then bam,

Apple will include it. Appearing as though its some great freebie they have graced us with.

Honestly I could care less about the ability...but damn this topic is really be blown out of proportion.

So......FTW
  • Reply 17 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Yoo-hoo!!! (And the stock is up $3.28... )
  • Reply 18 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Ah, should have read the comments section before getting too excited by the news text........
  • Reply 19 of 57
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Ironically, I really need copy/paste.

Ironically, I laughed out loud
  • Reply 20 of 57
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

It's a common colloquial usage, I think the linguistic definition is all but dead...

According to whom, the people who write/speak the phrase "I could care less"?