Macromedia - Bad News and Really Good News

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The bad news:

Macromedia has announced that it "expects to return to profitability for the June quarter", as a result of updates to its product range.

June quarter?!

The good news:

Macromedia has announced a net loss of $10 million for its third fiscal quarter. Serves them right. They'd have made a profit from upgrade purchases if someone had been smart enough to make OS X compatibility a priority.

Other news:

I'm getting very bitter in my old age.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    What's Macromedia?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>What's Macromedia? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, despite my grouching above, I prefer Macromedia's products to those from Adobe. I also prefer Macromedia's attitude, because I'm utterly fed up with assholes, and Adobe seems to be full of them these days.

I'm sure Macromedia has more than a few, but it keeps them hidden in a large pair of briefs at HQ.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'm not in a rush to upgrade since I don't use Dreamweaver as much as I used to, but I'd like to see a sign that Macromedia is in the game. Adobe's dumb but at least they are trying.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    if Macromedia could publish a new carbon version of dreamweaver we could hope to have a decent Golive 6 but now, I doubt it...

And what about Flash : it should greatly profit from OSX Quartz engine, but no announcements, not even an Alpha version on Carracho. Bad bad news : Livemotion with no competitor means one thing : another feature lacking product
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I am in the same boat: don't use DW as much as I used to (I've gone home to BBEdit).

What I'm anxious for is Fireworks X.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>I am in the same boat: don't use DW as much as I used to (I've gone home to BBEdit).

What I'm anxious for is Fireworks X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really need the whole deal - Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash. I hand code all my stuff in BBEdit, but we need Dreamweaver for revision control. I also use it to preview stuff on the fly, and it's useful for bringing in elements from Flash and Fireworks.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Stephane:

<strong>And what about Flash : it should greatly profit from OSX Quartz engine, but no announcements, not even an Alpha version on Carracho. </strong><hr></blockquote>

And yet...

<a href="http://www.brooks.ru/flash/index.html"; target="_blank">There is this.</a>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I need dreamweaver, I hate GoLive. Photohop kills fireworks and PS is coming soon. I hate flash, Livemotion is so much easier and fun to use.

So, once dreamweaver gets here, the only thing holding me back from X full time is...X! Unless I get a G5, X is still to slow for me, maybe X.2 will be speed up some.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    It depends on what you need Photoshop/Fireworks for. Photoshop is way overkill for my purposes. I prefer Fireworks because it's specifically directed towards producing graphics for websites. I don't need the myriad other functions in Photoshop.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Fireworks is just too limited for what i do. Their layer system is weak, and isn't as editable. I easily work with 40+ layers per project, so I need a lot of layer options. Also, I don't like FW's section tools and their type tool is too basic for my needs. FW's is like a junior version of PS, and just doesn't offer me enough. So yea, it does depend on what you need from it I guess
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>

And yet...

<a href="http://www.brooks.ru/flash/index.html"; target="_blank">There is this.</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, all the screen shots are windows and the player is pc only.