How satisfied are you with the iPhone 3G?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With many people fustrated with their new iPhone 3G, I want to know if you guys believe you made the right choice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

With many people fustrated with their new iPhone 3G, I want to know if you guys believe you made the right choice.

I voted somewhat satisfied. I just wish Apple would have worked out the lag issues and added video recording capability. Those are the 2 things I really want.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    I really think it's great exept for the Firewire charging issue, which I kind of knew about already.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    its much more than any other smart phone taken as a whole. yes it has shortcomins but it isn't in a vacuum. take it as part of the new "universe" iphone + mobleme+apps store = mega happiness

nothing even close....show me how BB,or anyother smartphone does what this does.

complete no, close yes, reminds me of mathematics, it approaches the goal better than anything else

i am content

happy

satisfied--nearly 95%

safari needs to be closer to what my mac has....private browsing better preferences options, stop crashing

voice dialing

gps turn by turn with speech to text

apps store includes trial versions

the UI needs a bit buffed but that will come to turn BT on off, network adjustments, take too many screens to get to them, you should be able to customize

how about using the screen to read your thumbprint to shorten the unlocking with code,
  • Reply 4 of 18
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Where's the search capability? I've been using this DAILY on Palm OS devices since my first Palm 5000 in 1996.

I need Spotlight for my iPhone. I didn't know it didn't have this until I bought one. All I heard was "no cut and paste." To me, that's a minor oversight compared to not having a global search capability.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Mine finally came in last Friday, so I've only had it about a week, but I'm pleased so far. Today I had to take my car in for repairs, and I enjoyed being able to answer emails and surf the web while I waited. The 3G Speed was great, faster than my old Edge BlackBerry.

There are some rough edges and crashes, especially in the apps I've downloaded, but I trust Apple will continue to polish. It's certainly as clean as I expect a .0 release to be.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Where's the search capability? I've been using this DAILY on Palm OS devices since my first Palm 5000 in 1996.

I need Spotlight for my iPhone. I didn't know it didn't have this until I bought one. All I heard was "no cut and paste." To me, that's a minor oversight compared to not having a global search capability.

there is a google app thats free and works try it
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I believe what F1Turbo is asking for is a Spotlight search for his personal data on the phone, such as searching the memo or "Note" portion of his address book entries. This is the strength of the Palm platform. It has been well documented for a year that there is no such function for the iPhone. Both the newest "search" for the iPhone and Google's search App only seek out the contact name but are clueless as to any other information attached to that contact.

Unfortunately, Apple did not attempt to create a Palm (PDA) killer with the iPhone, so some of us are still stuck keeping our Palm products close by to quickly search out data from hundreds of contacts.

Even more amazing, the Spotlight search on a Mac is only able to search out the contact "name" from your address book. For some reason they don't think anyone would ever need to search for any other data from their address book. Odd.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

I believe what F1Turbo is asking for is a Spotlight search for his personal data on the phone, such as searching the memo or "Note" portion of his address book entries. This is the strength of the Palm platform. It has been well documented for a year that there is no such function for the iPhone. Both the newest "search" for the iPhone and Google's search App only seek out the contact name but are clueless as to any other information attached to that contact.

Unfortunately, Apple did not attempt to create a Palm (PDA) killer with the iPhone, so some of us are still stuck keeping our Palm products close by to quickly search out data from hundreds of contacts.

Even more amazing, the Spotlight search on a Mac is only able to search out the contact "name" from your address book. For some reason they don't think anyone would ever need to search for any other data from their address book. Odd.

Exactly. I'm hoping there's something to this rumor on Spotlight in 2008. I won't carry two handhelds, like many Blackberry users end up doing. I'm just going to stick with it for a while and hope either Apple or a third party can bring something that will work for me.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Pretty happy here. Couple of bugs, perhaps, but overall very satisfied. It is a major step up for me from my old phone.

As we can see from the seeding of 2.1, there are some features yet to be completely untapped. Combined with the apps store, I think there is a very very interesting future ahead.

The FireWire power issue is not an issue to me at all, and anyways, with a major new release I would not have expected complete compatibility anyway. There are just too many things to be changed. Expecting Apple to maintain complete compatibility with all third-party products over several years is rather ridiculous to me. Didn't happen with my iPod.

My wife is satisfied with hers, but I can't vote twice. The Japanese input is rather slow compared to her old phone, but she is very happy with the phone overall due to the applications.

There will be, hopefully, new applications along the line of Pages or Notes which will likely permit search etc. within themselves, but not having search, at least now, is not an irritant in any way to me, and I too have used Palm for years. Search could be an update in the software in the near future.

Many of the complaints that I have seen on the Internet tend to be about issues that the customer could have known before choosing to buy.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    I'd say I'm 95% satisfied.

I also think the software needs some more work -- it really does feel like a 2.0 release. Cut and paste is a serious omission, IMO. Voice dialing would be nice. Spotlight would really be nice.

Overall, though, I think the iPhone 3G exemplifies Uncle Steve's approach of "Real engineers ship stuff."
  • Reply 11 of 18
    just another gripe --better power management for the iphone, i should have one button that turns off 3g, network, bluetooth without having to go to several screen. power management button that gives me options, 2g network, no bluetooth, 3g, no bluetooth, no network etc.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Any grips I could possibly suggest (things like the app store taking too long to add great apps like 1Password, or the pain in the ass that is MMS) are absolutely trivial compared to what the phone offers me. I love this goofy thing to death and work it to the bone. The addition of great programs like Pandora has only made things better. I've never been happier to own the device.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I just would like to do some of these simple functions that my old blackberry pearl could do
  • Reply 14 of 18
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acumarino View Post

I just would like to do some of these simple functions that my old blackberry pearl could do

Apple has been very clear about what the phone can and cannot do. A little research before purchasing would cut the complaints by 90%.

The OS is also 2.0. There will be updates which will likely increase functionality.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

A little research before purchasing would cut the complaints by 90%.

That would probably apply to everything on the internet

Seriously, I do agree is I try my best to stay on top of things before I go and buy them
  • Reply 16 of 18
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Only about 7% seem less than happy so far... (13% if you include neutral).

As I posted above, if everyone thought and investigated before buying, this number would be far lower.

Sure, there are some things the iPhone can't do, but there are many things it can, and with the App Store, the latter list will only increase.

Though my wife is less than happy with the Japanese input (it is rather slow), she is very happy overall with the phone. She took more photos with it today than she did with her old phone in five years; she also surfs the net more and with greater ease, and she also has played a game for the first time on a mobile device. She's a amateur musician and is now able to write music anywhere she goes, even sitting on a noisy train.

As for me, finally, I can plan a project and prepare the slides for printing when I get home without carrying my laptop, and I have a MacBook Air. It has completely freed me from carrying any weight.

There are many other things I could say, but I will conclude by saying that a device like this is very capable if you know how to utilize its functions while working around (and not focusing on) any apparent limitations.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I like my new 3G iPhone. It is my first iPhone and I did wait until 3G was available because I wanted a fast and portable internet device.

Overall, the phone's software is great...but severely lacking in key areas. I don't like that I can't create text messaging templates or distribution lists (without sending out a first correspondence to everyone). I don't understand why i can't text or email in landscape mode...but i can when browsing the web. How hard would it be to implement a damn landscape mode in all native text applications?

I could ramble on about the cut/paste stuff, or glaringly obvious missing features that most 3 year old phones have (voice dialing, picture messaging, video recording)...but I hope the app developers (app store and jailbreakers) will fix these problems.

My most major gripe is that 3G barely works. I live in Boulder Colorado and the ATT "coverage map" for 3G is supposed to be everywhere in boulder and pretty much everywhere in between here and denver. I definitely do not get 3G most of the time. At least not on my iPhone. The whole reason I waited a year to buy this damn phone was for the high mobile internet speeds and ATT isn't delivering. Or is it the software's fault? I'm not sure. But it ticks me off.

If Apple fixed the 3G problem that I and alot of others seem to be having, I will live with all the other shortcomings...but if this BS keeps up, I may be forced to return it before my 30 days are up...

And I'll just wait again for next years model.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I am somewhat dissatisfied. I've been a Windows Mobile device user for several years and whilst it's clunky, far from sexy and occasionally buggy, it was a great business tool. Whilst the iPhone is by far a hot piece of kit, it does lack what WM devices (for business users) have enjoyed reliably for some time now:

* ability to forward SMS messages - I do this frequently in my role to keep others notified of events/outages, etc...

* basic Outlook calendar handling - being able to edit appointments, invite other people (I mean really, this is a ridiculous omission), edit single appointments in a series or the entire series, reminders for appointments showing as new invitations (and asking me to accept, maybe or reject) - that doesn't even make sense, etc...

* basic email handling - setting and clearing flags on mails (a very useful and popular way of managing busy inboxes)

* Tasks - again, for the busy professional, not being able to sync tasks is a glaring omission, especially when you rely on those tasks popping up reminders

These are just the main issues after having the iPhone for less than 48 hours. I saw videos of Jobs' speeches and presentations about how iPhone was THE business tool. Well, not sure about his business, but iPhone 3G seems underdone when it comes to being a business tool. A very disappointing experience and my hope is that one of the next releases (SOON) will add these much-needed features to this great looking device (that at the moment is nothing more than a replacement iPod for me).

Pete