Fire finally got it right.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The new version of Fire seriously rocks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    You mean they finally posted 0.29b?

Or are you referring to the build-it-yourself Fire.app?

The last cvs I built (just two days ago) was much better than the last full PR, but I still prefer Adium for AOL IMing.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Hmm. So, it is out.

Ah hell, I guess I can trash this 150 MB of source code, object files, bundles, and the whopping 26 MB development build of Fire now.

I guess I'll give it another try... I still think I'm liking Adium better for my AOL instant messaging needs, though. Maybe the final release here will change my mind.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What a *BIZARRE* app... I love it!

No file transfer, but instead it has real-time *language translation* to/from French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portugeuse, and supports GPG for encryption and signing of messages.

Good lord.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Bizarre is the word... It seems to work a little quirky, but I finally got some users added and messaging seems to work ok at least. And finally it shows your messages as in a regular chat-window, as the Win version of ICQ has done for ages...

Some more advanced functions as searching for contacts and file transfer'd be nice though.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I hope you all know that AOL IM file transfers are not possible using the TOC protocol. It's a limitation that AOL imposes so 3rd party clients aren't up to snuff with their own.

I don't know about the other services, though.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If it's as good as you say then maybe I'll give it a try. I haven't used Fire since before AIM for OS X was out.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    IMO, Fire is very close.

The icons are still hideous.

Adium isn't much better in the looks department, cool feature set though.

AIM X is beyond ugly and flakes out very quickly. Stinks of a cheap port in 90% of all areas. There are some nice touches, but it would seem that it'd be better to get the basics down before adding niceties.

Proteus wouldn't retrieve buddy info- no go.

I've retreated into 9. AIM minus ads; the only problem is that menu-bolding bug and that happens every few days and is an annoyance at most.

It's a shame that IM on X is such a sad situation.

If the 3rd party clients all added their best features to each other, it'd be great. Throw in official feature set of the 9 client, and boom.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Actually...Fire has one of the worst interfaces I've seen to date.

Proteus is getting closer than Fire will ever be. Proteus has the cleaner interface and it will retrieve buddy info in 1.4 due out any day now.

Proteus 1.4 will be out soon and put Fire out of it's misery.

Adium's icons look like shite too. But Adium itself has a nice interface. But Adium ain't a multi-IM program like Fire or Proteus...so it's no good.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I've retreated into 9. AIM minus ads; the only problem is that menu-bolding bug and that happens every few days and is an annoyance at most.</strong><hr></blockquote>

2 comments/questions

1. where can I get AIM minus ads? those things are SO annoying.

2.I wass wondering where the hell that bug came from!!! I could never figure it out. Any fix?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>1. where can I get AIM minus ads? those things are SO annoying.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check ResExcellence.com

There's also one for OSX's AIM, but it's a little harder to find.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>Actually...Fire has one of the worst interfaces I've seen to date.

Proteus is getting closer than Fire will ever be. Proteus has the cleaner interface and it will retrieve buddy info in 1.4 due out any day now.

Proteus 1.4 will be out soon and put Fire out of it's misery.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will see believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    So, what exactly is bad about the Fire interface?

[nb: it was redone in .29a]