Apple's next-gen Macs to have something special under the hood

Comments

• Reply 61 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Hopefully these will make up for the last two minor speed bumps.

According to AnandTech's preliminary testing of Montevina the performance increase is on par with the other updates, but as usual that comes with a faster MHz rating for the same price as the previous model and much better power usage, which is arguably more important on a notebook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I can't see what can be so interesting that the chipset is worth redesigning myself, it's functionality is fairly standard...

The only thing I see is a way for Apple to lock the OS to the system with a proprietary chipset.
  • Reply 62 of 203
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Apple will have to prove this line of crap to me about leaving the competition scrambling etc. After the "top secret" options never showed up in Leopard that Steve talked about, I'll believe anything once I see it.
  • Reply 63 of 203
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Custom Apple designed chipsets for product classes that do not exist yet. Come on people; use your brains.

Agreed, they can make very Apple specific features widening the gap over other manufacturers using off the shelf sets while still using the latest CPUs from Intel. This is good news for sure as it means they have something up their sleeves in Cupertino.
  • Reply 64 of 203
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Sounds to me like Apple wants to use a standard Intel CPU with a proprietary northbridge and/or southbridge.

It could be something as simple as Apple wanting to support more than 4GB in their pro laptops/iMacs. Shouting about 64-bit doesn't make a whole lot of sense when your hardware only supports 4GB.

Hasn't Apple been designing custom silicon for years with the iPods?

Perhaps Apple are planning on parking the OS on silicon? That could be sweet?
  • Reply 65 of 203
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    I didn't read all the post cause too many people pissed me off for not reading correctly...so I thought I'd do it too.

Anyhow.

They did not say they were replacing the main processor (intel) with a new one. They said they would replace other parts of the motherboard, separate chipsets that work along with the main CPU. Best believe apple will continue to use Intel CPU's it keeps them in the game speed wise and on the same upgrade pace (if they want) as their competitors. What I would guess, and they already do it, is that they would use alternitives for USB, FIrewire, bluetooth, video card, wifi, and like some said here, 3G.

There are more chips on the board than just the CPU, it will be ok. In fact it might just get better. DO you really think that apple hasn't learned from the past. The way it's looking they have only shown a glimpse of how much they learned. Apple is the future of mainstream computing.

A couple things. 1. as long as there system speed remain on par with windows systems (easy) and 2. as long as it (a mac) can run windows natively (for the time being (5 years)) than don't worry about it.
  • Reply 66 of 203
    DUDDDEEE i cannot wait 6-8 weeks. i was riding on the late july-early august refresh. if i buy one now, (or this weekend) how long do i have to return it? does anyone know. will i even be able to return it for the new one?
  • Reply 67 of 203
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I know the difference between a CPU and a chipset. My point was that the more custom chips you have, the more risk you're at for manufacturing and supply delays, bugs, etc., that affect only you.

This could be good, but it's also a very high-risk move if true.

Actually, it's lower risk since you control the process yourself and have more options for suppliers. And it means that you are less likely to be affected by problems that affect everyone else.
  • Reply 68 of 203
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Intel and HDD manufacturers have such options on the market that use SSD for fast booting and laoding of apps, but so far the results have been less than stellar.

Eventually people will realise that SSDs, as they stand today, are by and large slower than HDDs. The future might fix that.
  • Reply 69 of 203
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I'm still picturing some kind of specialized high-performance SSD controller where the SSD contains key components of the OS and other software. But, I'm not overly aware of what chipsets are currently available for that type of application to speculate further. I could easily envision some kind of near instant-on and loading of apps scenario.

SSD drives are not even near exceeding the capacity of SATA.

Personally, I don't see a point in replacing the chipset. Those are very complex now, and even in Apple's volumes, I don't see being near competitive in price and performance combined, versus an off the shelf chipset. I really don't think the chipsets are the weak link.

Something i see more likely happening is maybe something like a coprocessor that takes a PCIe lane. I mean, an H.264 encoder or decoder would only need a PCIe lane and likely can encode or decode in better than real time without hogging the CPU or consuming nearly as much power. If it's two PCIe lanes, then you can handle uncompressed HD going in and out at the same time.
  • Reply 70 of 203
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

DUDDDEEE i cannot wait 6-8 weeks. i was riding on the late july-early august refresh. if i buy one now, (or this weekend) how long do i have to return it? does anyone know. will i even be able to return it for the new one?

I agree...why would they wait this long? And how would these awesome new products affect Q3 margins if they don't come out until the end of September? I think they have to come out in August.
  • Reply 71 of 203
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I didn't explain myself well. Other vendors use and can use the 'other' non-Intel chipsets.

Not on the mobile platform though. They haven't licensed their mobile sockets since VIA used its license to introduce a socket 479 version of their C7 CPU.
  • Reply 72 of 203
    and i thought the whole reason we were waiting this long for the overdue MB/P revision was Montevina. now they are ditching it, and we have to wait longer... i need one for college
  • Reply 73 of 203
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Is anyone else rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again?" Apple tried going their own way for years, and mostly what they got out of it was being slower than the competition and having serious supply constraints. If this article is true, I wouldn't want to be long on Apple.

Hardly, for the majority of the time they were faster. Towards the end mind they were utter crap.But that was Motorola's fault.
  • Reply 74 of 203
    hookhook Posts: 42member
    These leaks regarding regarding the next macbooks & mb pros seem to be turning up more and more frequently. Makes me wonder if the timeframe aspect of this story isn't the least accurate part of it (hopefully). Seems plausible that there may still be an announcement in the coming weeks. Even if they don't ship for another few weeks after.

If Apple waits until just after the pre-college buying spree to announce this new line then there are going to be a fair number of angry new laptop owners.
  • Reply 75 of 203
    1) H.264: now that this codec seems to be running the table (or at least penetrating) on everything from next-gen DVDs, to iChat, to youtube, iMovie, and Steve would LOVE to give flash even more of a performance disadvantage, now would be the time to embraceH.264 in hardware.

2) Could "grand central" be something that requires hardware?

3) By hiring another firm to design a chip in your chipset, you probably have a tough time convincing them to make it an exclusive, since there are such economies of scale. However, if apple really does own the chip design and just outsources the manufacture, they can really keep it for themselves, meaning (a) you can't build a clone, and (b) you benefit from whatever the hell this key ingredient does and none of your competition can have exactly that.
  • Reply 76 of 203
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Maybe Apple could do something along the lines of Toshiba's Qosmio G55? It sure would be nice to have a Cell as co-processor. Should be even easier for Apple to code for since the Cell is part of the PowerPC family that Apple is familiar with. With all that additional horsepower onboard that can be used for graphics among other things, people could stop whining about how Macs suck at gaming. Throw in some seriously fast h.264 encoding/decoding using the Cell and we'd have a winner.
  • Reply 77 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hook View Post

...If Apple waits until just after the pre-college buying spree to announce this new line then there are going to be a fair number of angry new laptop owners.

right here. i'm gonna have to setlle for the one that will be outdated next month.
  • Reply 78 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

1) H.264: now that this codec seems to be running the table (or at least penetrating) on everything from next-gen DVDs, to iChat, to youtube, iMovie, and Steve would LOVE to give flash even more of a performance disadvantage, now would be the time to embraceH.264 in hardware.

Montevina already has support for this built in. I don't see Apple going out of their way to incorporate another system if what is available already works.

Quote:

2) Could "grand central" be something that requires hardware?

I think GC is all coding, but OpenCL may need a controller chip to aggregate GPU and CPU cycles as one.

Quote:

3) By hiring another firm to design a chip in your chipset, you probably have a tough time convincing them to make it an exclusive, since there are such economies of scale. However, if apple really does own the chip design and just outsources the manufacture, they can really keep it for themselves, meaning (a) you can't build a clone, and (b) you benefit from whatever the hell this key ingredient does and none of your competition can have exactly that.

As previously stated, I think this is the key to it all. Apple can't litigate every time a clone pops up so they have to out-tech them in order to stay ahead.. and this means HW authentication.
  • Reply 79 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

right here. i'm gonna have to setlle for the one that will be outdated next month.

I don't know about you, buddy, but I went to an Apple store last week and bought myself a shiny new MacBook Pro. The damn thing is a screamer! It runs all my games wonderfully, let's me work with video and graphics wonderfully and speedily. Plus it's really, really shiny (the case, not the screen).

If you want a brilliant machine, go out and get what Apple is offering now.

Just because Apple might offer something that greatly outclasses it in a few weeks (or months) doesn't mean that the current hardware is terrible. Take a good long look at what you need in a machine, and what you just want. 99 times out of 100, you'll find that the current lineup fits the bill just fine. And if something newer comes out....just be happy and keep working (and playing) with what you have.

Sometimes I think the whole "I must have the next latest and greatest because it will be so much better than what they have now" thing is pretty ridiculous. \
  • Reply 80 of 203
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.