Apple's next-gen iPod nano may see return of narrow form factor

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's "fatboy" iPod nano may be retired after only a year on the market to make way for a new generation of the player that will mark a return of the narrow form factor used in the first two generations of the device.

Citing "extremely confident" sources, iLounge reports the new player will retain its traditional click-wheel while sporting an elongated display with the same 1.5:1 widescreen aspect ratio as the iPhone and iPod touch, versus the 1.33:1 ratio of the prior iPod nano and iPod classic.

This will leave the player looking like, among all other things, one of Microsoft's existing Flash-based Zune players, those sources say. Apple is said to have made the move in order to preserve all of the fatboy nano's usability, while adding longer display that will allow users to rotate the device into landscape mode for viewing videos.

While iLounge is not a traditional source of insider information, it does have close ties to iPod and iPhone casing manufacturers who are sometimes privy to the dimensions of Apple's next-generation handheld devices ahead of their release.

By releasing those dimensions early, Apple affords those manufacturers ample time to develop and bring to market casings and protective holders around the same time that it introduces its remodeled handheld products.

An artist's rendition of what may be Apple's next-gen iPod nano design. | Source : iLounge.

As such, iLounge is largely credited as being one of the few publications to accurately describe the form factor of Apple's iPhone 3G handset before its public unveiling.

In its report late Tuesday, the publication also cited sources who indicated that recent rumors of next-generation iPod nanos adopting multi-colored enclosures are "most likely inaccurate."

Instead, each fourth-generation iPod nano is will more likely sport a single-colored anodized aluminum frame akin to the second-generation of the players introduced in the fall of 2006.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    The new design's screen would be nice because the aspect ratio is better, especially if you're converting widescreen DVD's for viewing on your iPod. Wonder how people will like the longer form....
  • Reply 2 of 77
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Why bring the Zune into it?

It just looks like a 1G and 2G nano, which the Zune team borrowed the shape from.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    This is so funny because I just saw two people on the subway with each one and noticed how much better the skinny version fit in the hand. The fat version was in a shirt pocket and seemed less confortable to use- IMO.

A touch screen Nano would be amazing.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    If you are able to turn the iPod the buttons will rotate too... that doesn't seem very Apple like since first, the direction and words will rotate too and now instead of up being menu it will be next, etc??? How do you solve that problem, why an accelerometer and a touch screen - iPod Touch Nano.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    akaaka Posts: 7member
    Return to the slimmer form factor is good - but, please Apple, give us better than average audio!! I want my Audiophile iPod! iPods/Apple needs to be class leading in Audio Quality.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Why bring the Zune into it?

It just looks like a 1G and 2G nano, which the Zune team borrowed the shape from.

i was thinking similar.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    when will be the

Apple Event ?

Buy a mac and get iPod free ends Sep 15th, event before that time?
  • Reply 8 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

when will be the

Apple Event ?

Buy a mac and get iPod free ends Sep 15th, event before that time?

Usually after- so to keep the uninformed thinking that they are getting a unbelievable deal only to get smacked the following week or two.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Presumably this new one will be the same price (with a lot more memory) or cheaper than the existing nano. Who would choose a free nano with Mac purchase when they could get a much more expensive iPod touch instead? Well, ok a few people, but they would be better off getting the touch, selling it, buying a nano and pocketing the substantial difference. In any case, the deadline for the free touch is irrelevant to the release of a new nano.

Personally, the chubby nano design grew on me. Going back to the mini/first-gen nano shape is kinda boring.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Given the iPhone and the iPod Touch, this design should have been the obvious evolution of the previous generation, incl. the iPod.

I think that the. current design/form factor -- esp. the phatty -- was a mistake, and, perhaps to some degree, explains the slowdown in sales growth rate.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aka View Post

Return to the slimmer form factor is good - but, please Apple, give us better than average audio!! I want my Audiophile iPod! iPods/Apple needs to be class leading in Audio Quality.

Good point- and give us a better equalizer too.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

where is the Home button ? nice though
  • Reply 14 of 77
    iPod touch to get lower price or double capacity? which is easier? i think apple will lower the price...

64Gb is kinda of expensive, unless there is some tiny tiny HDD available for iPod touch sizes
  • Reply 15 of 77
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Taller screen makes sense for scrolling down lists of songs.

If the device is to be held horizontally for video Apple could include an accelerometer and backlit clickwheel markings that rotate the menu, play/pause and back/forward buttons around the wheel by 90 degrees so that the clickwheel always appears upright no matter the devices orientation.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    restalotrestalot Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree... this would be consistent with the direction Apple is going... and it does not outshine the iPod Touch or iPhone's user experience... one thought on the interface though is the SJ did say when they launched the iPhone that OSx was the experience they wanted to deliver all thier customers... imagine a derivative of OSx even on the new Nano... that would kill M$ and all the other clones.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

where is the Home button ? nice though

I know, there'll be a home button. Was thinking that all along. Although with the interface I have in mind we might not see a home button, but rather a "Back" button up top left within each app.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot

one thought on the interface though is the SJ did say when they launched the iPhone that OSx was the experience they wanted to deliver all thier customers... imagine a derivative of OSx even on the new Nano... that would kill M$ and all the other clones.

Huh? I don't get you. Nothing will kill M$, and don't listen to Jobs. He talks a lot of ****
  • Reply 19 of 77
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i never did like the fat boy, the narrow nano was just perfect for single hand using apple makes mistakes and corrects them, love the colors

NOW put wifi in it, WOW, maybe a simple safari browser
  • Reply 20 of 77
    jonbrucjonbruc Posts: 8member
    Lets see, we've seen new ipod touch in firmware, and now nano is going to the vertical screen, any chance that the new nano will be multitouch?