Apple's next-gen iPod nano may see return of narrow form factor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Why bring the Zune into it?

It just looks like a 1G and 2G nano, which the Zune team borrowed the shape from.

They did change the screen orientation to put a larger screen on the same form. In effect, it's going to look like Apple borrowed that idea back. Not that it's true, rotating the screen like that is an almost inevitable consequence of going to a widescreen, otherwise nano would be even wider to match the same screen height.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I like it. Will it be the same screen resolution as the iPhone? Will apps from the app store work on it?
  • Reply 23 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I like it. Will it be the same screen resolution as the iPhone? Will apps from the app store work on it?

That assumes that it foregoes the more common iPod OS for the "OS X" OS used in the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That assumes that it foregoes the more common iPod OS for the "OS X" OS used in the iPod Touch.

Iwould think it would be more screen and less border like a mini iPod Touch- and slighly longer- the size of a LG Chocolate.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    for nano, no wifi and app store

only for iPod touch all the goodies ...
  • Reply 26 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Will it be the same screen resolution as the iPhone? Will apps from the app store work on it?

No, and no.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Given the iPhone and the iPod Touch, this design should have been the obvious evolution of the previous generation, incl. the iPod.

I think that the. current design/form factor -- esp. the phatty -- was a mistake, and, perhaps to some degree, explains the slowdown in sales growth rate.

I've a 3g Nano and my wife has a 2g Nano. Looks aside which are subjective the 3g Nano is *much* better.

I didn't like the appearance of the 3g Nano at first but have grown to like it quite a bit.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    While sitting on the subway I watch what listening device people are using.

8 out of 10 people are listening to ipods. Occasionally I'll spot a Creative or an iriver but ipods are used by an overwhelming majority of people. I can count on one hand how many Zunes I've seen.

Anyway, it's good to have the slim nano back because I need an 8 gig and the online prices have really been jacked up since they've been discontinued.

Hopefully this won't take Apple's attention away from finishing something more important like....

NEW MACBOOKS AND MACBOOK PROS!
  • Reply 29 of 77
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Why compare with the Zune? Its as in iLounge is making an expression that Apple copied Zune design for their next iPod Nano....but Im sure Apple will make it look more classy and beautiful.

But I like Ireland iPod nano 4G mockup, looks neat and small. I guess apple can place the home button on top of the iPod or maybe there will be new feature such as if you hold the screen for like 2 sec, you will return back to the main menu or it will be like swiping left and right to move forward between menus.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

But I like Ireland iPod nano 4G mockup, looks neat and small.

'Small' is the keyword: You'll need a baby's fingers to operate that thing!
  • Reply 31 of 77
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Gag-o-rama. Thats just a 2nd generation Nano with the screen expanded. Put next to a Zune to make the whole thing more disgusting. And the video on the Nano is a Microsoft and Balmer. Yuck yuck and yuck. Why is this news worthy?

I owned a 2nd generation Nano and now own a 3rd generation Nano. The 3G Nano is awesome and worlds better than the 2G Nano in every way. I never understood and certainly don't understand now what issues anyone ever had with the fat boy form factor. Its awesome. I am continually amazed at how good it is given how small it is. I often output its video to our 42" TV. Its amazing to think the video is coming from something so tiny.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    how about giving GPS to iPod Touch

iPod will become more and more multi function device thats Just works
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph_xxl View Post

While sitting on the subway I watch what listening device people are using.

8 out of 10 people are listening to ipods. Occasionally I'll spot a Creative or an iriver but ipods are used by an overwhelming majority of people. I can count on one hand how many Zunes I've seen.

Anyway, it's good to have the slim nano back because I need an 8 gig and the online prices have really been jacked up since they've been discontinued.

Hopefully this won't take Apple's attention away from finishing something more important like....

NEW MACBOOKS AND MACBOOK PROS!

What's a subway ?? I'm from Nawlins.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

If you are able to turn the iPod the buttons will rotate too... that doesn't seem very Apple like since first, the direction and words will rotate too and now instead of up being menu it will be next, etc??? How do you solve that problem, why an accelerometer and a touch screen - iPod Touch Nano.

hmmm... I still think the click-wheel will go away, but we'll see.

As for orientation, that's trivial. The function of any particular click is just a software mapping. If the accellerometer (sp?) detects a 90 degree switch, then the function of the clickwheel rotate as well. Of course that would mean no markings on the clickwheel itself.

I still think that the old nano form factor that's all screen is the ticket.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I think you guys are missing the most likely factor or possibility here. That is Apples need for a smaller iPhone. The move to a thin and realtively long case is simplly to optimize the case for use as a hand held cell phone.

If PA Semi was indeed hired to produce application specific chips for the iPod line up this could be the avenue Apple is taking. Simply iPhone NANO!!!!!!!!

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 77
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Gag-o-rama. Thats just a 2nd generation Nano with the screen expanded. Put next to a Zune to make the whole thing more disgusting. And the video on the Nano is a Microsoft and Balmer. Yuck yuck and yuck. ....

It's newsworthy because it's a fairly solid rumour from a group that has been right several times before as mentioned. the fact that it's both disappointing and so far seems like an ugly choice is beside the point.

I don't know what people are on about up top talking bout this being the new touch nano either. It would seem pretty unlikely that they are putting a clickwheel on a device that has a touch screen, not that a touch screen of that size could be very useful. It would make more sense to replicate the touchwheel in software just as the keyboards on the touch are now.

If this rumour is true, it almost certainly means that there will be no iPod touch nano, at least this year as having two separate nano lines seems similarly out of the question.

They could possibly bump things up a notch by putting a basic phone in it for those that just need a phone and some music and don't have the upper middle class income to afford an iPhone contract though. That might make it less of a "gift for your mum" kind of thing.

It's kind of funny now how if your portable isn't touch-based, it isn't really "cool" anymore.

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of these "old" iPods now. It's like being the only old fart on the train with the Sony Walkman tape player when everyone else is using iPods. You just feel sorry for people like that.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

To elaborate on the no/no answer given above, the screen contents would be extremely small with the iPhone resolution and the cost for screens like that would be considerable. Furthermore, with the reduction in size, App Store apps wouldn't be usable in most cases. There are plenty of other reasons why this just isn't going to happen, too.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I think you guys are missing the most likely factor or possibility here. That is Apples need for a smaller iPhone. The move to a thin and realtively long case is simplly to optimize the case for use as a hand held cell phone.

If PA Semi was indeed hired to produce application specific chips for the iPod line up this could be the avenue Apple is taking. Simply iPhone NANO!!!!!!!!

Dave

me and others who bought iPhone 3G will be p**sed off... no iPhone nano pls thanks!

next iPhone upgrade should be next year June
  • Reply 39 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

how about giving GPS to iPod Touch

iPod will become more and more multi function device thats Just works

It's doubtful as it would have to be GPS, have a limited A-GPS that relies only on WiFi, or include GPRS for free like with the Amazon Kindle. None of those sound like good options to me and it takes away from Apple's baby, the iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I like the fat boy a lot. 8 GB is not enough, though.