Rogers commits to purchasing $150M in iPhones from Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    It is'nt worth it, not the price of the iPhone or the crappy packages Rogers are offering.

It's really to bad that Rogers was the only cell phone company in Canada that had the right wireless network, maybe now the rest of them will wake up and smell the money and start installing the right equipment instead of sitting back and screwing their subscribers.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

If we're being anal then FFS ... I assume to mean fix the fing spelling isn't correct. They spelled the word just fine... its the usage that's incorrect. FFU as it were...

Not quite. It means "For F***s Sake".
  • Reply 23 of 30
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theoldcoot View Post

It is'nt worth it, not the price of the iPhone or the crappy packages Rogers are offering.

It's really to bad that Rogers was the only cell phone company in Canada that had the right wireless network, maybe now the rest of them will wake up and smell the money and start installing the right equipment instead of sitting back and screwing their subscribers.

Your fourth post. Your fourth negative post.

You don't own a Mac or use one

You don''t own an iPhone.

You probably don't even have an iPod.

So, why are you here?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I took the 6 GB offer. However, from checking my USAGE daily, I am running around 2 to 6 MBs a day. Although I used my iPhone's GPS on the weekend for about 2 hours a day, as well as emailing and another hour surfing upped the usage to nearly 10. Obviously not having Wi-Fi access for the most part was the difference.

I anxiously await my first invoice to get the real usages. But certainly, it doesn't appear that I will be anywhere near 6 GBs.

It would be interesting to hear what others a logging in daily just by checking their Data Usage under General Settings.

If you head over to HowardForums that are a couple threads in the Fido or iPhone on Fido/Rogers forums that have discussions of usage. Most are from around launch time, so usage was pretty high. I think at least a few we over 100 MB in a day or two. Assuming average usage will be less than that, then 6GB is really the same as unlimited. But, heaven help you if you had a lower data cap and you go over even once. The overage charges will make whatever savings you might have received by having a lower cap disappear. The overage charges are crippling and this is why Rogers initial plans were such crap.

And when the promo ends, if they don't introduce new pricing, iPhone users will always have to be monitoring their usage or pay through the ass for overages or increased caps. The 6GB should remain. Any new data plans should start, at a minimum of 1 GB. If they never use it, as Rogers claims, great, Rogers loses nothing. If they have even one month of high usage, then it protects them from overage charges and Rogers still collects a nice profit for the other months that they did not do more than average.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If you head over to HowardForums that are a couple threads in the Fido or iPhone on Fido/Rogers forums that have discussions of usage. Most are from around launch time, so usage was pretty high. I think at least a few we over 100 MB in a day or two. Assuming average usage will be less than that, then 6GB is really the same as unlimited. But, heaven help you if you had a lower data cap and you go over even once. The overage charges will make whatever savings you might have received by having a lower cap disappear. The overage charges are crippling and this is why Rogers initial plans were such crap.

And when the promo ends, if they don't introduce new pricing, iPhone users will always have to be monitoring their usage or pay through the ass for overages or increased caps. The 6GB should remain. Any new data plans should start, at a minimum of 1 GB. If they never use it, as Rogers claims, great, Rogers loses nothing. If they have even one month of high usage, then it protects them from overage charges and Rogers still collects a nice profit for the other months that they did not do more than average.

Searched but could not find any reference to actual usage, though I did find a few that were complaining that the Time of use was being reset continuously. Turns out these were first generation iPhones that were jailbroken and unlocked.

Interesting that nobody is reporting their usages. My take is that there are very few if any iPhone users here.

I may have to correct my usage. I am now under the impression that the Cellular Network Data is cumulative unless you Reset Statistics which I plan to do on my monthly billing date. That said, my usage going into the fourth week for sending and receiving is 2.6 MB and 14.8 MB respectively.

Obviously, it is because I use my iPhone while driving for phoning and the GPS. Internet usage is primarily over Wi-Fi at home and periodically at work, at the U and at clients.

So far the indications are that I will never exceed the minimal MB limit. let alone the 6 GB that I contracted for. At least not unless I quit working, teaching/developing or leave my wife. At that point, I won't have any friends to call anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Searched but could not find any reference to actual usage, though I did find a few that were complaining that the Time of use was being reset continuously. Turns out these were first generation iPhones that were jailbroken and unlocked.

Interesting that nobody is reporting their usages. My take is that there are very few if any iPhone users here.

I may have to correct my usage. I am now under the impression that the Cellular Network Data is cumulative unless you Reset Statistics which I plan to do on my monthly billing date. That said, my usage going into the fourth week for sending and receiving is 2.6 MB and 14.8 MB respectively.

Obviously, it is because I use my iPhone while driving for phoning and the GPS. Internet usage is primarily over Wi-Fi at home and periodically at work, at the U and at clients.

So far the indications are that I will never exceed the minimal MB limit. let alone the 6 GB that I contracted for. At least not unless I quit working, teaching/developing or leave my wife. At that point, I won't have any friends to call anyway.

I suppose it depends on what you are using it for. As I said, most normal users will probably not come close to 6GB, but it seems like it would be common, if not normal to go over 400MB in any particular month, which is the entry level iPhone package.

This thread discusses it. One user did 100 MB in 2 weeks, another 285 MB in 2 weeks, and another 200 in two weeks. There were a few high usage users, one doing 35 MB in 6 hours, 87 MB in 1 day, 350 MB in 3 days and another 1465 in two weeks. But even with those that are reporting relatively low usage of 100~300 in two weeks, it is obvious that they could easily go over 400 MB in a month. And if they had signed up for Rogers/Fido's canned iPhone packages, they would be in for a world of hurt in overages. One GB/month seems like the lowest safe cap.

This thread had a poll on peak daily usage. 41% were over 50 MB on their peak days. 25% were over 100 MB/day. The iPhone packages maxed out at 2GB/month (@ $115/month!!!), which is about 68 MB/day. Again, while it wouldn't be normal to exceed this, it would not be uncommon, especially for people that do not have always on wifi. Many of us are lucky and do, but many others do not. Additionally, especially for people that travel or commute or use public transit, there will be a lot of time where their usage will be 3G and so their average 3G usage will be higher than others. The iPhone plans are a trap that will certainly catch people with massive overages. 1GB seems like the best low end cap, but Rogers hasn't announced any other reasonably priced data packages other than the $30/6GB. I would have signed up for $10-$20 for 2-4GB, but that isn't an option.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you my usage rates yet, as Fido seems to want to delay it a bit longer.

EDIT: I can't find the threads now, but there were one or two that discussed usage of people using any of the internet radio apps. At 128kbps bitrate, that is about 56.25MB/hour. Use your iPhone to listen to internet radio on a 1 hour commute twice a day and you are at 2250MB for 20 days (1month) of commuting. Add in other usage and you would have to mortgage your house to keep up with your overages if you signed for one of the canned iPhone packages, even the top one. Just the radio usage alone would put you into overages with their highest cap iPhone plan.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I suppose it depends on what you are using it for. As I said, most normal users will probably not come close to 6GB, but it seems like it would be common, if not normal to go over 400MB in any particular month, which is the entry level iPhone package.

This thread discusses it. One user did 100 MB in 2 weeks, another 285 MB in 2 weeks, and another 200 in two weeks. There were a few high usage users, one doing 35 MB in 6 hours, 87 MB in 1 day, 350 MB in 3 days and another 1465 in two weeks. But even with those that are reporting relatively low usage of 100~300 in two weeks, it is obvious that they could easily go over 400 MB in a month. And if they had signed up for Rogers/Fido's canned iPhone packages, they would be in for a world of hurt in overages. One GB/month seems like the lowest safe cap.

This thread had a poll on peak daily usage. 41% were over 50 MB on their peak days. 25% were over 100 MB/day. The iPhone packages maxed out at 2GB/month (@ $115/month!!!), which is about 68 MB/day. Again, while it wouldn't be normal to exceed this, it would not be uncommon, especially for people that do not have always on wifi. Many of us are lucky and do, but many others do not. Additionally, especially for people that travel or commute or use public transit, there will be a lot of time where their usage will be 3G and so their average 3G usage will be higher than others. The iPhone plans are a trap that will certainly catch people with massive overages. 1GB seems like the best low end cap, but Rogers hasn't announced any other reasonably priced data packages other than the $30/6GB. I would have signed up for $10-$20 for 2-4GB, but that isn't an option.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you my usage rates yet, as Fido seems to want to delay it a bit longer.

EDIT: I can't find the threads now, but there were one or two that discussed usage of people using any of the internet radio apps. At 128kbps bitrate, that is about 56.25MB/hour. Use your iPhone to listen to internet radio on a 1 hour commute twice a day and you are at 2250MB for 20 days (1month) of commuting. Add in other usage and you would have to mortgage your house to keep up with your overages if you signed for one of the canned iPhone packages, even the top one. Just the radio usage alone would put you into overages with their highest cap iPhone plan.

Last month people would jump in their Hummers to go down to the corner store for quart of milk. Now, they will buy 2 quarts.

Unfortunately, until the bills come in, actual data usage is challengeable. Certainly when you get a guy telling us that he used an internet radio which is not obtainable in Canada.

Question, why can't you get your usage rates yet? As far as we have been informed, the data table is not controlled by the carrier.

And I know one thing, I wouldn't be excessively downloading or uploading data while travelling if I wanted to make sure I had enough battery to use the iPhone for its primary intended function, i.e., phoning!

P.S. I am sure that I saw that same Chart before the 3g was out.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Last month people would jump in their Hummers to go down to the corner store for quart of milk. Now, they will buy 2 quarts.

Unfortunately, until the bills come in, actual data usage is challengeable. Certainly when you get a guy telling us that he used an internet radio which is not obtainable in Canada.

Question, why can't you get your usage rates yet? As far as we have been informed, the data table is not controlled by the carrier.

And I know one thing, I wouldn't be excessively downloading or uploading data while travelling if I wanted to make sure I had enough battery to use the iPhone for its primary intended function, i.e., phoning!

P.S. I am sure that I saw that same Chart before the 3g was out.

You can challenge the Internet Radio usage claim in Canada if you like, but it would be pretty pointless. Many Internet Radio apps are available if you have a US iTunes account. While many think you need a US credit card or address to have a US account, all you need to to is buy an Apple gift card in the US and use it to activate a new US itunes account. Now you have access to the US Internet Radio Apps. That is possibly what the posters who are using US Internet radio apps have done. Or they have a US account through some other means. or they are using one of the 15 apps that comes up with a search for radio on the Canadian iTunes store. (last.fm, tuner......) Why is it you claim it isn't available? Certainly, it makes no sense to claim this, but to each their own.

I can't get my usage rates yet because Fido has not sent my iPhone yet...so....

If you were traveling, you might use it for radio or web or other data intensive uses if you had a car charger, we en-route to a location where you could charge it (i.e. work), etc. If you were on a multi-hour trip without access to a charger, sure, you might restrict your usage, but if you have access to power, why would you restrict usage?

if the chart you say you saw before the launch is the one in the Peak usage thread on Hofo, I am not sure how you managed that feat. It is a dynamic chart generated though user input and was created and posted on launch day. Perhaps you saw another chart that showed similar usage rate.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Here on the east coast of Canada, supply has been spotty in my experience. I got my 8GB on the Monday following the launch .... but only because the courier had lost the launch day shipment destined for my local Rogers (franchised) store ... and I just happened to be standing there when it arrived three days late. Because I have a business account I had to do my activation over the phone with a Rogers rep (from the store). When I asked about the possibility of waiting for a 16GB model, I was told it could take 3 - 4 weeks.

Count me as another who has been surprised at how low my 3G data consumption has been so far. Despite using the iPhone constantly for one thing or another, my heaviest day to date was only about 15MB (mostly downloading Google maps for use with the GPS) ... thanks to ubiquitous Wi-Fi. But when I resume commuting to work it'll probably soar, due to my attachment to Last.fm (it's not "internet radio" per se, but it is streaming music over the 3G network).
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Well, I have had my iPhone for 2 days and 2.5 hours. My usage counter says 49.9MB Received and 3.3MB sent. I have always on Wifi at home and work, and have only used 3G when in the car (not driving) and when I was visiting my sister and another friend without Wifi. On 3G I have used the web browser a fair bit, downloaded a couple apps and received about 300 emails of various sizes (unfortunately one of my email accounts has become a massive spam trap but I have too many people using it to completely dump it), used a few GPS apps, palringo for IMs, watched one youtube video and listened to last.fm for about 10 minutes. I have not yet configured it for my work email.

While it would not happen every month, I can easily see that I will go over the 400 MB and possibly even the 750 MB of the entry level iPhone plans. It is so obvious that those initial plans were crap and designed to force you into overages if you didn't closely monitor your usage. What a scam those are.

Anyone using the iPhone, even moderately as I have, could easily exceed those limits. Only very light users would not or those that are willing to monitor and then restrict their usage. It could be argued that my usage could go down because the first couple days are they heaviest, but honestly, I don't see how. I was not out of work or the house for very long over the last couple days. About a hour total in the car, letting my wife drive so i could use the GPS apps and a few hours visiting. Assuming the will be a few days a month that I am out and about without wifi, if I use the iPhone at all for data, it racks up quickly. And once I setup my work account for emails, the email traffic will easily triple, since I don't think I can limit the email client to only download the first few hundred kb of an email and attachments, as I can on desktop clients. Since I am out of town often on weekends, or at least not at home, I can expect I will be using maps periodically, at the least. (just loaded appleinsider home page on 3G as a test and it increased my usage counters to 50.4MB/3.4MB, so .6MB for that one page)

I am guessing I will be in the ballpark of 1 GB of usage in the first 30 days. This would have cost me $100 before taxes and SAF with the iPhone plans and I would have less data, voice features and minutes than I have now for $56 before SAF and taxes. If I had be conned by Rogers 'average expected use' PR BS, then I would have gone with the entry level plan, had even fewer voice minutes and been nailed with overage charges of at least $45 on top of the $60 plan price.