iPhone 3G Status Bar Icon?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello all,

Just got my iPhone 3G yesterday, and am wondering what an icon is on the status bar. Next to where my service provider's name is, there is either the little square 3G icon, nothing, or another icon that I have not been able to work out what it is. It's a little blue square with a hole in the middle.

Does anyone know what this means?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

Hello all,

Just got my iPhone 3G yesterday, and am wondering what an icon is on the status bar. Next to where my service provider's name is, there is either the little square 3G icon, nothing, or another icon that I have not been able to work out what it is. It's a little blue square with a hole in the middle.

Does anyone know what this means?

The 3G icon is obvious, the Edge icon is a blue square with an "E" in the middle, and the blue square with the white dot is the 1st generation data (I think its called GPRS).

Steve
  • Reply 2 of 11
    twanlotwanlo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

The 3G icon is obvious, the Edge icon is a blue square with an "E" in the middle, and the blue square with the white dot is the 1st generation data (I think its called GPRS).

Steve

Actually, the GPRS icon is just a blue square (no hole) and always had been until the 2.0 update. Now I can't find any information on what this new little icon is. Here's the Apple page that talks about the icons (minus the one in question).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1558
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I just got an iPhone from Vodafone NZ (outright purchase, no contract) which works with both my Vodafone NZ and Vodafone UK sim, in both UK & NZ.

I got a strange symbol next to the signal strength bar and Carrier name (scrolls as Vodafone UK) - looks like a degree symbol. Is this where the 3G, E etc icons should be? I can't find anything anywhere which suggests what this is for.

Anybody got any ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    When I have that circle glyph, I get the "Cannot connect to cell data network", which seems to indicate that the little circle is a naught, a zero, a null. No data service.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The iPhone manual (PDF) covers what all the different symbols mean:

• Reply 6 of 11
    I get some weird status icon on the top of iPhone screen. Its a sign of lock with circle around it.... something like in the symbol of @....

This symbol is just beside battery symbol on the top-right corner of screen.... to the left of battery symbol...

Guys plz let me know, what this symbol means?!!

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guyzsmarty View Post

I get some weird status icon on the top of iPhone screen. Its a sign of lock with circle around it.... something like in the symbol of @....

This symbol is just beside battery symbol on the top-right corner of screen.... to the left of battery symbol...

Thanks

*sigh* Orientation lock. Try turning your iPhone. Does stuff move?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    senahelsenahel Posts: 3member
    Your rotation lock is on.1. Double ck home button. 2. Scroll to the left. 3 click the last symbol,
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guyzsmarty View Post

Thanks

Double ck home button,

at the bottom scroll to the left,

click last icon. 

Hope this helps

Senahel........

• Reply 10 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Senahel View Post

Your rotation lock is on.1. Double ck home button. 2. Scroll to the left. 3 click the last symbol,

The thread's from aught eight and I already answered his question months ago.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    New to this forum.