Apple now posting near-daily MobileMe outage updates

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks, I looked but couldn't find anything newer than 2006. Though the article you posted is from 2007, here is the latest data showing a IIS gaining and Apache losing ground.

That was from my stable of bookmarks I keep for discussions and arguments.

Sadly, some go dark over time, and are no longer accessable. IBM has said that over half the internet is dark, and it's been predicted that over time, most pages will become dark.

A lot of the 404 errors we get are from pages that are taken out of the public domain.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    While the discussion we've been having about Linux really belongs in anther thread, I will state my theory that Linux, and other free OS's and major programs will become to all intents and purposes, obsolete.

This is the trend that always occurs with new technologies. First there are new inventions. If it is a small (physically) invention area, then it has a lot of individuals working on it. Then industry gets involved. Hobbyists take over for most of the small companies that have lost out to larger, more efficient producers. sometimes the hobbyist faction becomes a large part of the equation. but, over time, shrinks as matters become too sophisticated for them to keep up with, and only a small smattering remains.

We've seen a larger proportion of this in computer software, because without anything physical to produce, the hobbyist producers don't have much in the way of costs, neither do the Red Hats of the world.

But, still, we find a great deal of ego in the hobbyist, free area, and conflicts hold development back to the point that it becomes uncompetitive. We've been seeing that with the main Linux distros, where they are at least two years behind where they expected to be, though they've made some progress recently, as some main developers quit, so that some work actually got done.

In the long run, despite its very vocal supporters, I believe that Linux will be relegated to specialty areas in business and government, and geeky desktop users.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In the long run, despite its very vocal supporters, I believe that Linux will be relegated to specialty areas in business and government, and geeky desktop users.

Yeah, I agree with your overall philosophy mainly because Linux has kind of become the open equivalent to Windows in a way. Neither of these operating systems (again, Linux is not unified) are nearly as well optimized and built for the hardware they run on as Apple's products are, and it shows, especially in the emerging smart phone market. Neither is user friendly enough after all these years of development. And both lack focus.

As for open source in general, though, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. That's why Mac OS X is such an outstanding operating system: it's a hybrid of the two extremes. That's why its the largest Unix distribution in the world. Apple leverages the open source community's work when it makes sense and develops their own paradigms when necessary, yet it's all (essentially) seamless.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Yeah, I agree with your overall philosophy mainly because Linux has kind of become the open equivalent to Windows in a way. Neither of these operating systems (again, Linux is not unified) are nearly as well optimized and built for the hardware they run on as Apple's products are, and it shows, especially in the emerging smart phone market. Neither is user friendly enough after all these years of development. And both lack focus.

As for open source in general, though, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. That's why Mac OS X is such an outstanding operating system: it's a hybrid of the two extremes. That's why its the largest Unix distribution in the world. Apple leverages the open source community's work when it makes sense and develops their own paradigms when necessary, yet it's all (essentially) seamless.

And when you buy a Mac with Apple's certified Unix OS, you know where to go for service, and help with software problems.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And when you buy a Mac with Apple's certified Unix OS, you know where to go for service, and help with software problems.

Geek Squad?
  • Reply 106 of 112
    Quote:

Right, that's a very good point. Buy something from Microsoft or Redhat and you'll get to play phone ping-pong with them and whoever built/designed the actual computer. That's a great advantage and another reason Apple will likely never license out their OS to third party hardware vendors as has been suggested by pundits that don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:

Geek Squad?

Haha yeah, no, but I do wonder if they can have any service role with Macs bought in those new Mac Shops Apple is setting up in Best Buys. Hopefully they're getting them Mac certified.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Haha yeah, no, but I do wonder if they can have any service role with Macs bought in those new Mac Shops Apple is setting up in Best Buys. Hopefully they're getting them Mac certified.

I just called a Best Buy that I know has a Mac kiosk setup and spoke with Geek Squad. They do service Macs.

Even their online chat system which only states "Windows 98 or higher" even has an OS X installer and instructions. I wasn't expecting that or the fact that it auto-detected my OS. While that is simple stuff it's often overlooked.

PS: It is "powered by" a 3rd-party company so perhaps I'm giving Best Buy too much credit.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    Quote:

Geek Squad?

Uh, you know what I mean.

I wouldn't let the Geek Squad on my block, much less in my house!
  • Reply 109 of 112
    Quote:

I just called a Best Buy that I know has a Mac kiosk setup and spoke with Geek Squad. They do service Macs.

Even their online chat system which only states "Windows 98 or higher" even has an OS X installer and instructions. I wasn't expecting that or the fact that it auto-detected my OS. While that is simple stuff it's often overlooked.

PS: It is "powered by" a 3rd-party company so perhaps I'm giving Best Buy too much credit.

The fact that they have it, and aren't keeping Apple customers as second class citizens is nice.

But, I simply don't trust the Geek Squad, after what's happened in several cases. You would have to sit with them, to make sure they aren't going through your stuff, and stealing it.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    Quote:

The fact that they have it, and aren't keeping Apple customers as second class citizens is nice.

But, I simply don't trust the Geek Squad, after what's happened in several cases. You would have to sit with them, to make sure they aren't going through your stuff, and stealing it.

I wouldn't use them as I feel I can do a more capable job than they could, but I also wouldn't recommend them based on the same trust issues you have.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    Quote:

I wouldn't use them as I feel I can do a more capable job than they could, but I also wouldn't recommend them based on the same trust issues you have.

Oh yeah. I wasn't talking about most people here needing them. But no, I wouldn't recommend them either.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    Quote:

Wow, both the chat system and the fact that they can actually service Macs is pretty cool. I used to want to work at Best Buy until I became a Mac user. Then I heard about these Mac Shops they're getting and realized that if I worked at a Best Buy with Macs, I could only wholeheartedly sell people Apple's computers. I don't know if they'd be ok with that.