Could NVIDIA chipsets replace those from Intel in next-gen Macs?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

1) Intel's Nehalem is a SOC design, it is due early 09. I doubt Apple will not use Nehalem nor likely Apple will do a major overhaul before Nehalem.

Nethalem is not SOC. It has an integrated memory controller (like AMD) and in same cases a separate IGP in the same package. IGP is the cpu, memory controller, graphics, audio, and the functions of the northbridge and southbridge in the same package.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Does this mean we'll see one of the new CUDA-supported, (for hybridpower) integrated-graphics-including 9700M GT through 9800M GTX+ in the new MBPs?

Those aren't integrated graphics, they aren't going in a Macbook Pro (well, maybe the 9700M GT), and CUDA is supported fine on the 8600. Which means nothing because Apple isn't going to support CUDA anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Those aren't integrated graphics, they aren't going in a Macbook Pro (well, maybe the 9700M GT), and CUDA is supported fine on the 8600. Which means nothing because Apple isn't going to support CUDA anyway.

No, listen, the new chips have 9100M G built in integrated graphics along with the discreet card to allow for switching back and forth using HybridPower. All you need for HybridSLI now is any one of those cards.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why this rings as true...
    ? NVIDIA has always been very boisterous about their products and hasn't said a word in a while (as stated in the article)

? Intel is still having issues with their Montevina chipset this close to their new launch date.

Nvidia's CEO made some "boisterous" claims in the past and his products weren't able to deliver, it's as simple as that. He claimed that he would put ATI out of business, he claimed that he would "open a can of whoop-ass" on Intel.

Then the Radeon 4800 came out and wasn't an overpriced power-hog like Nvidia's high end, the 8400/8600 chips started failing, and it's quite clear that no one is opening a can of anything on Intel. Nvidia hasn't said a word in a while because they're in no position to talk.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

No, listen, the new chips have 9100M G built in integrated graphics along with the discreet card to allow for switching back and forth using HybridPower. All you need for HybridSLI now is any one of those cards.

Okay, I see what you're saying. Still not going to get a 9800M into a MBP.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:

Okay, I see what you're saying. Still not going to get a 9800M into a MBP.

True. I wonder if HybridSLI will give us any more leeway on the power consumption? If so a 9700M GT would be feasible, who knows maybe even a 9700M GTS. I guess it depends - if their heat output is low but power consumption is high... I guess that could work o_O
  • Reply 47 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If they put the 8600M GT into a Macbook, that would be awesome - the 8600M GS would suffice. They simply can't rely on Intel's chips when OpenCL comes to fruition so now is the time to make the change and you can't go far wrong with nVidia.

I will be very glad to see the back of integrated graphics processors. Once again, Apple will have all dedicated chips and this will set them apart from low end PCs as it used to on the PPC platform. Now that the Macbook is metal, it is really the equivalent of the 12" powerbook, which also had dedicated chips.

I'm very interested to see what comes of this.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Give us SLI and Crossfire on Macs already!
  • Reply 49 of 57
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they put the 8600M GT into a Macbook, that would be awesome - the 8600M GS would suffice. They simply can't rely on Intel's chips when OpenCL comes to fruition so now is the time to make the change and you can't go far wrong with nVidia.

I will be very glad to see the back of integrated graphics processors. Once again, Apple will have all dedicated chips and this will set them apart from low end PCs as it used to on the PPC platform. Now that the Macbook is metal, it is really the equivalent of the 12" powerbook, which also had dedicated chips.

I'm very interested to see what comes of this.

And there we see the rub. The only computers that an Nvidia chipset makes any sense at all in are the Macbook and mini, to silence the people who whine about Intel integrated graphics. Apple would be able to advertise "Geforce 9200!", never mind the fact that that's integrated, too.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

And there we see the rub. The only computers that an Nvidia chipset makes any sense at all in are the Macbook and mini, to silence the people who whine about Intel integrated graphics. Apple would be able to advertise "Geforce 9200!", never mind the fact that that's integrated, too.

Yeah they'll probably stick with integrated on the lower machines.

Nvidia's new integrated chips are based on the 8400 GS and the performance of that is only slightly more than the X4500 that Intel was bringing out with Montevina. It should be better supported in applications though so no more compatibility issues and still 6 times faster than the GMA 950 in the Mini and 3 times faster than the X3100 in the Macbook.

NVidia's chipset will be faster than Intel's (quite a bit faster in some games - difference between playable and not playable at least), have full HD decoding and the higher end (MBP) should benefit from the hybrid SLI - which I think uses the integrated and dedicated chips together for a boost of 40% according to nVidia.

It also has graphics switching to save power so MBP owners will benefit from that. I just hope they don't downgrade the dedicated card in the MBP so they get the same performance but lower power use.

Even though it will likely still be integrated chips on the low end, the move away from Intel's chips is still good. They just can't make decent graphics chips - nVidia have proved time after time that they can make the best and Intel have always proved they make the worst. If anything, the stigma of using Intel graphics chips will go even if the performance is only slightly more than their recent offering.

I can see a benefit through the whole lineup - hybrid SLI will improve graphics performance on all computers, except possibly the iMac if they continue to use the ATI chips.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Hey, if the next revision of MacBooks have anything better than an X3100 Intel Integrated, I'd welcome it, even if it was an Nvidia 8100 GSSS Ultra Super Neutered Lite For Mobile with 200MB DDR1 VRAM.

Seriously though, if the next GPU for MacBooks provide say double the performance of an X3100 at almost similar power and heat levels, then seriously, I wouldn't mind if it was from Intel, ATI, AMD, TI, IBM, Nvidia, PA, VIA, or whoever. (Being slightly facetious with the list of companies here).

Just give us something substantial, that's all I ask. In which case the likely contenders are Intel and Nvidia.

If Intel merged with Nvidia then that would be really a good thing. That would be a can of whoop ass that would whoop AMD/ATI well into the poorhouse.

Nvidia's GPU/GPGPU/Physx/Whatever... If someone could take that down to 32nm in 2009, alongside Intel CPUs that are at 32nm, this would be a remarkable milestone.

However, an Intel - Nvidia merger at this stage is too risky and complicated to pull off, IMO.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Time to close this thread:

Nvidia to quit chipset business
  • Reply 53 of 57
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Wow...huh. And I was just thinking that this sort of transition would make a lot of sense...

Back to the drawing boards.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Wow...huh. And I was just thinking that this sort of transition would make a lot of sense...

Me too.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Don't give up so easily, my friends... The article now said its bollocks.

Please no unnecessary the "Nvidia (chipset) is teh D00med".

Like Apple in its time, those death(s) are greatly exaggerated.

Nvidia has *not* left the building. Stay tuned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Quote:

• Reply 56 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Cringely chimes in on his old theory of dedicated, high-performance H.264 en/decoder chips for all new Macs.