Apple's product "transition" is that TV I was talking about!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's getting into the TV business and they are making an affordable plasma with all the features you'd expect for Television 2.0. Which is why they have the modest forecast. It won't be big on profit, but it will get Apple into the living room in a big way, which is where the company needs to be. The perfect "transition" for the company.

A tablet is not that sort of "transition", and besides, that would be a big earner for Apple. And warrant the usual Apple premium price for it.

TV is "the transition". And it warrants that word.

Music business, phone business, computer business, TV Business.

The fourth leg in that Apple stool!

That is all.

Proof?

What proof?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple's getting into the TV business and they are making an affordable plasma with all the features you'd expect for Television 2.0. Which is why they have the modest forecast. It won't be big on profit, but it will get Apple into the living room in a big way, which is where the company needs to be. The perfect "transition" for the company.

A tablet is not that sort of "transition", and that would be a big earner for Apple. And warrant the usual Apple premium price for it.

That is all.

Plasma blows.
  • Reply 2 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Plasma blows.

LCD away!!!
  • Reply 3 of 146
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

LCD away!!!

If they do it then it would be an LCD all the way. Unless of course they decided to go with another technology like say OLED.

But if this is just a theory then I will have to say while you may be right its not going to stop them from debuting the mactouch.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Three legged stools don't rock.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You're not the only one who mentioned the TV and the reason being the HDTV switchover in the US, not because it's the 4th leg on a stool.

Of course, they also won't use Plasma.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're not the only one who mentioned the TV and the reason being the HDTV switchover in the US, not because it's the 4th leg on a stool.

Of course, they also won't use Plasma.

I disagree.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Three legged stools don't rock.

And?.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    I'm sorry, but that is the most absurd looking stool I've ever seen. Is it just me or is that thing incredibly crooked?

As for the actual TV stuff itself, thats a BIG business with exceedingly small margins. I don't see Apple getting into that.

PS: Here's a better looking stool:

• Reply 9 of 146
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

I disagree.

So let's hear the case for plasma over LCD.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    Quote:

The fourth leg in that Apple stool!

Am I the only one who chuckled at that?
  • Reply 11 of 146
    I just want to see an upgrade in the notebooks
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrew93 View Post

I just want to see an upgrade in the notebooks

You will, but that's not the transition they are talking about.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

I'm sorry, but that is the most absurd looking stool I've ever seen. Is it just me or is that thing incredibly crooked?

As for the actual TV stuff itself, thats a BIG business with exceedingly small margins. I don't see Apple getting into that.

Smaller like they referrer too? Exactly my point. For a change they mentioned their profit % would be smaller than normal, but that they didn't want to come in high to give others a chance to match (or come even close) their product at a cheaper price.

That stool is taken from Steve Jobs keynote, and some noticed like me that it was missing a leg, for just stuck on the leg, round the back, the TV leg. It's no perfectly straight, but it gets the point across.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    Quote:

Apple's product "transition" is that TV I was talking about!

No, no its not.

your selective vision/hearing must get you into all sorts of trouble.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    If Apple makes a TV, don't give credit to Ireland. All hail Rolo, instead.
  • Reply 16 of 146
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Oh, and I will add my own prediction.... In an exclusive deal with Canon, SED will finally hit the market as the Apple TV.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

If Apple makes a TV, don't give credit to Ireland. All hail Rolo, instead.

Yeah, I just want the TV - not the credit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

Oh, and I will add my own prediction.... In an exclusive deal with Canon, SED will finally hit the market as the Apple TV.

Nah, if anything it will be OLED, but that won't happen either. The best TV tech right now is plasma, just look at those Pioneer beauties! It'll be plasma, and maybe OLED in 4 years or so.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Smaller like they referrer too? Exactly my point. For a change they mentioned their profit % would be smaller than normal, but that they didn't want to come in high to give others a chance to match (or come even close) their product at a cheaper price.

How will it be 'state of the art'? That somehow Apple have managed to exclusively procure the latest display technology ahead of Sony, Panasonic etc? How will they keep the prices competitive?

Nope, the only area right now that Apple can excel in is touch-based products and their intellectual property can secure touch capabilities that rivals can't come close to.

When Apple do release it, I want to see an ad with an MC Hammer soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNUx0-XEfw

Quote:

That stool is taken from Steve Jobs keynote, and some noticed like me that it was missing a leg, for just stuck on the leg, round the back, the TV leg. It's no perfectly straight, but it gets the point across.

You noticed wrong. The 3 legged stool has legs 120 degrees apart. Adding a 4th leg is pointless as it's just adding minor support to the nearest leg.

TV isn't big business for Apple because they make so little profit on the sales - they won't be cutting back profits here, they are already low. Most of the money goes to the TV companies.

Apple TV is a flop and them making a TV with the capability built-in just obsoletes all the ATVs out there and creates an expensive device with flopped components inside. Making a TV without the capability built-in isn't revolutionary as it's just a display.

In short, a TV from Apple isn't happening any time soon. A touch-based computer is.

One thing that I noticed about Leopard is that the preview for Quicktime clips now just have a big play button instead of the very useful controls. Why would they do that? Well, clearly the preview controls are too small to use with a touch display. The introduction of coverflow for everything. Apple have been planning the touch revolution for a while and they've had to take steps in preparation for it.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

How will it be 'state of the art'? That somehow Apple have managed to exclusively procure the latest display technology ahead of Sony, Panasonic etc?

Software, ease-of-use, ease-of-set-up, design, and yes, features. The screen technology itself won't be better than the competition (i.e. Sammy and Panny). But the screen tech on the iPhone isn't revolutionary. The software and design is.

When you really think about it, Apple could do a lot in this space.

Please do me a favour Marvin: Assume for second that I am correct, and Apple are indeed working on a TV right now with a view to blowing users away.

If I am right, what do you think they could do to make this TV appealing to the general public, those folks who like that something special, and for those who have trouble working a toaster?

When you frame the thing that way, in my view, ideas just pour in. Apple could have a field-day. The software on these TV's, the polish, the UI and the easy of use could be special, and a real pleasure to use. That, and this bad boy would connect to the net, and iTunes - SEAMLESSLY!

AND... it would be PRETTY! (as a bonus)
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

A touch-based computer is.

I know, I have being saying that for nearly a year and a half now.